IGNORED

My Swing (MyrtleBeachGolf)

MyrtleBeachGolf
Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dude, no offense, but are you just making this stuff up?

Nope, every single aspect I mentioned is important. A driver generally is designed to play at 45 deg, the total club length should be no more than 45.25 if you are looking for a repeatable result. The ideal angle between the shaft and the forearms is 144 deg no matter which club you are playing. But then he has none of them on. Fix the set up study the club head you are using (did I mention the face of the club ?) the swing is just a result of it.

The wood tees are telling you if you are using the same swing of the irons or not.Anyway see you in another thread

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are a few things that don't quite look right: -You do seem a bit hunched over at impact , but this may not be that important, hard for me to say -You have pretty bad early extension (if you look at your body at impact , especially with the driver, you're practically standing up straight A good place to start might be here: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/77144/how-to-draw-the-golf-ball-or-how-to-stop-slicing]How to Draw the Golf Ball (or How to Stop Slicing)[/URL]

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look through that Draw the Golf Ball thread again. I'm confused about your posts, the part in Bold. You say I'm quite hunched over at impact and then say I'm standing straight up at impact? I'm kinda confused about what's what?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look through that Draw the Golf Ball thread again.

I'm confused about your posts, the part in Bold. You say I'm quite hunched over at impact and then say I'm standing straight up at impact? I'm kinda confused about what's what?

Apologies, I meant "setup" in the first sentence. You seem to me a bit hunched over at setup (see first image below). Again, I'm not sure if that's just your height, or improperly fitted clubs. It may also be unimportant for your swing, I'm not sure. At impact (see second image), you have moved your "tush line" in quite a bit, causing you to stand up to make contact with the ball. This is called early extension.

Apologies, I meant "setup" in the first sentence. You seem to me a bit hunched over at setup (see first image below). Again, I'm not sure if that's just your height, or improperly fitted clubs. It may also be unimportant for your swing, I'm not sure. At impact (see second image), you have moved your "tush line" in quite a bit, causing you to stand up to make contact with the ball. This is called early extension. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/124710/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/124711/] [/URL]

Ah ok. That makes much more sense. I see exactly what you're saying. I did get my clubs custom fitted. For the first 12 years of golf, I played with off the rack clubs. My first fitted clubs were 1/2" long and 5 degrees upright. Ping G2's that I played for 6 years. For the last 3 years I've been playing a set of Ping G25 irons that are +1" long and 4 degrees upright. I was fitted by the Callaway master club fitter here in MB. After looking through that Draw thread, I can see some issues I'm having that are common with slicers. I slide my hips to the right instead of turning my hips. I'm also way too steep. I'm going to work on posture at setup, trying to stand up more, and get my handle higher at address.

The draw thread says I need to get the shaft pointing outside the ball at A5. Clearly I have the shaft pointing quite a bit inside the ball at A5. I guess my setup at address and not being so steep should start to move that handle outside the ball. I'll work on that next trip to range.

The draw thread says I need to get the shaft pointing outside the ball at A5.

I guess my setup at address and not being so steep should start to move that handle outside the ball. I'll work on that next trip to range.

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

Spent about an hour at home working on a few things. Trying to turn my right back pocket to my center line on the backswing. Trying to load up on my left side at the top. And trying to maintain posture and avoid early extension. Also, keeping my hands higher at address. See if it helps tomorrow in the tourney.

You look to be doing almost exactly what I was so I'll explain what worked for me, and worked very quickly. Looks like your club path is about 10 degrees out to in, over the top, left etc. You're over swinging (unless you want to be a long drive pro :-)), have a bit of a sway and you're very crouched over with your irons, driver setup is much better. On the plus side your face control on initial takeaway and delivery looks pretty good, so grip is probably good. Try and set up so your club shaft points at belt buckle, arms drop naturally down over your toes, or very slightly away(your arms at the minute look like they point to your heels), try and keep your back straighter, not like a curved C/ hunchback etc. Do this until it's engrained in and you do it without thinking, then move onto the below. Swing path is the big problem but isn't too hard to fix, look at the vid I put on your driver goes high, fades and stops dead thread. Try not to rotate back too much(over swing, you will know when you've got it as you won't see your clubhead with your left eye to your left) and keep the club shaft pointing left of the target at the very top of your backswing(might feel like a 3/4 swing for you, it did for me). Try to limit swaying back to your RH side also. From this position it's hard to come over to top and you'll come much closer to plane, then visualise swinging out to the right of your target, then do it :-) For me it worked instantly with irons, went from 10 deg out to in to 6 in to out (I'm sticking at 6 deg thinking about swinging out till it becomes "natural", then I'm going to try and get it to about 4 deg, which is where I want to be to draw the ball slightly, and minimise risk of push/ hooks). For me, with the driver try bumping the hips left towards the target and tilting to the right (spine tilt away from target) so you can see more of the back of the ball on setup really helped me with the driver, even got to 10 deg out on some shots. Again once this is engrained in I'll take 50% of that off and hopefully finish about 6 deg. For me it worked best to over exaggerate thinking about swinging out, then after a while I stopped thinking and 50% of that swinging out remained in muscle memory, which I was over the moon with. Don't try to do all of this at once (it's waaaaay too much to think about), do it bit by bit till it becomes thoughtless, then fine tune. It will really help if you can get on a launch monitor to see your numbers, or so others can see etc.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

You look to be doing almost exactly what I was so I'll explain.... (LOTS OF WORDS)...... It will really help if you can get on a launch monitor to see your numbers, or so others can see etc.

I really appreciate the input. Everything sounds spot on. I'm certainly going to work on all those things and see how it develops.

I was really hoping that maybe I was just overswinging at the range. And when I got on the course, I would shorten up my backswing slightly when actually attempting to hit a ball in the fairway. I had my playing partner take a video of my tee shot in the tourney today. Clearly I'm still going way too far with my backswing. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/g5WgJgLRUPk[/VIDEO]

• Administrator

I was really hoping that maybe I was just overswinging at the range. And when I got on the course, I would shorten up my backswing slightly when actually attempting to hit a ball in the fairway. I had my playing partner take a video of my tee shot in the tourney today. Clearly I'm still going way too far with my backswing.

If anything, people almost always swing longer on the golf course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If anything, people almost always swing longer on the golf course.

Hmmm. Ok. I'm certainly going to trust you on this. I would've guessed it would be the opposite. I figured I'd be inclined to try to "rip it" on the range but try to be slightly more accurate on the actual course and dial it back. But yeah, clearly that's not the case.

I had a sort of epiphany this morning, while thinking about my swing, it's steepness and my setup at address. Someone please correct me if I'm way off here. The more "hunched over" I am at address, the more steep my swing is going to be. If I stand up straighter at address, and make the same exact swing, the club will be delivered at a much shallower angle. Is my swing so steep because of my height and hunched over setup??

Spent about an hour at home working on a few things. Trying to turn my right back pocket to my center line on the backswing. Trying to load up on my left side at the top. And trying to maintain posture and avoid early extension. Also, keeping my hands higher at address. See if it helps tomorrow in the tourney.

I would avoid trying to "load up" on your left side at the top of the backswing. If that's a feel for keeping things centered, that's fine but don't actually do it ;-)

I had a sort of epiphany this morning, while thinking about my swing, it's steepness and my setup at address. Someone please correct me if I'm way off here.

The more "hunched over" I am at address, the more steep my swing is going to be. If I stand up straighter at address, and make the same exact swing, the club will be delivered at a much shallower angle.

Is my swing so steep because of my height and hunched over setup??

It certainly can't hurt to clean up your address position, will also help you with what you're trying to do with the pivot. Hunched is fine, you're just bent over too much and the hands are too low. Would also like to see you turn your feet out. More on all that here.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I would avoid trying to "load up" on your left side at the top of the backswing. If that's a feel for keeping things centered, that's fine but don't actually do it ;-) It certainly can't hurt to clean up your address position, will also help you with what you're trying to do with the pivot. Hunched is fine, you're just bent over too much and the hands are too low. Would also like to see you turn your feet out. More on all that here.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/56069/good-golf-posture-how-to-address-the-golf-ball layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

Ok. Thanks for the info. I keep reading on here about having my feet turned out slightly. It's something I've never done, but am seeing the positives of it. I need to work on it. It's something I don't even think about when I get ready to hit. But I need to try to do it every time. Am I correct in thinking that turning my feet out slightly and standing up with my hands higher will help get my path further right?

Am I correct in thinking that turning my feet out slightly and standing up with my hands higher will help get my path further right?

Yes, left knee will be able to transfer forward longer and the higher handle will help.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yes, left knee will be able to transfer forward longer and the higher handle will help.

Ok. Thank you. This is the first thing I will work on at my next range trip. Obviously I can work on the setup in my living room as much as possible first. Don't need to swing a club to get the feel for turned out feet and higher hands.

I've been working on (in my living room) a much shorter backswing. It feels as if I'm only bringing the club back 1/4 of the way, but on video it is just shy of parallel. I've been making these swings with my feet turned out and standing more upright from the waist. I have a few hours tomorrow to hit the range and film a couple swings. I'm hoping these changes will make a difference.

Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!