IGNORED

My Swing (oudrees)

oudrees
Note: This thread is 3168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read through the posture thread, lots of good info.  It's going to take time to get years of weightlifting and refining my squatting form out of my system for golf.  They seem to be the complete opposite, my default posture now seems to be arched lower back, butt out, chest up, shoulders back and chin up.  Apparently heavy weight lifting and golf don't go well together, just like my softball swing and golf swing don't go well together.

Yes the back stuff is different, with golf you are rotating on a tilted angle (multi-plane movement), with weight lifting you tend to move everything on one plane of motion at a time (back squat/sagittal plane). The foot and knee position is similar to when you squat or deadlift, turned out.

I took a quick posture selfie while home at lunch to see if straightening the legs and leaning forward more was better

Right idea but the hands are too far away from you. Place your right thumb on the grip end, your zipper should slightly touch where your fist is.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I took a quick posture selfie while home at lunch to see if straightening the legs and leaning forward more was better

That is much better than before.

I agree with @mvmac , I would like to see the head down even tad more. Be a little more relaxed in the shoulders, and let those arms hang down more.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So I practiced chipping with my father in law then went and played 9. I started off kind of rough, hitting my first drive straight up with a major slice but I actually recovered and bogied the hole. The next few holes were a little rough as I was all over but for the last 4 holes I really fell into a groove and struck the ball well. I had a couple pars and a couple 3 putts for bogie. I was playing a couple balls and felt really good about a lot of my swings....progress. I did find myself forgetting my steady head or my hip rotation or my weight forward. Just gotta keep working on making it habit.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

If we kept score, I feel I definitely would of broke 50. I only remember 1 OB ball and only one duff

- David -

So my round got rained out today so I went to the range and hit 3 buckets of balls and really worked on getting the feel with my irons.  I videoed most of the swings to compare.  I really discovered that when I really slowed down my back swing, I became alot more consistent with it.  It is kind of funny when I compared the good swing with the flub I had in my first couple swings, my swing was so much slower on the good one.  I still need to work on getting my hips rotated more and weight moving, but my main priority now is posture and hitting the right plane on my backswing.

Good 8 iron DTL

8 Iron DTL - Hit way behind the ball

8 Iron - Caddie

- David -

Your swing and stance is like night and day from your first video just a little time ago. You look more like a golfer now. :) I bet you will start seeing your hard work pay off very soon. The duff shot looks like you were moving your head a lot btw.

Set-up looks a lot better. I'd start focusing on Key #1.

Some good resources for you. I'd start with working on keep the hips centered and see if that keeps the head steady.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I was playing with my hip turn in the mirror last night.  If I can't get to the range tonight, I'll do some more mirror stuff

- David -

I managed to get out and play 9 today after all the rain we have had.  I shot a 47 so that is an improvement.  My ball striking felt pretty good.  I had a few 7 irons I pushed right or pulled left but they were hit clean.  I started off with 6 straight 5's.  I missed the green on both par 3's, one I hit really fat and made it half way and the other I pulled and it hit the cart path twice.  I 3 putted both for 5's.  I teed off with my 3 wood on most holes and was hitting it really well.  I used my driver on both 5's, the first one I sliced to the other fairway but it cut the angle and I managed to par it.  The 2nd, I hooked straight into a house and got an 8 on the hole.  I was hitting my 3 wood 250 off the tee, so I will stick with it till I work on my driver.  I didn't work on anything new while playing, I could tell my head was moving and I wasn't rotating my hips much but I didn't want to complicate things while playing.

My round consisted of 2 pars, 4 bogies, 2 doubles and 1 triple bogey with 3 3 putts but things felt better which is all that really counts.

- David -

I haven't been able to get to the range at all this week. Realize getting in the way of my golf game. We attempted to play 18 today but got rained out on hole 5. I was all out of whack on the first 2 holes and went 11 and 10. I'd go OB one way, the top one then OB the other way.....it was bad. I figured out on my last iron shot on 2 that I was standing to far from the ball and swinging too hard. The next 3 holes I went par, par, bogie. There was a break in the rain after I packed up and I headed to the range. Man, when I get in a groove it feels really good. The guy next to me even said he wished he could hit a ball like me. But when I get out of that groove, it takes me a few swings to find again. I guess that's just practice, I must be a very rhythmic player. Hopefully I can get to the range next week and actually practice and video the swing again.

- David -

In preparation of the outing I am playing in tomorrow where I am apparently supposed to carry the team, I got the wiffle balls out and went out back and practiced.  I am a 30 hdcp and supposedly the best on our team.  I tried working on my hip turn and getting a feel for that swing.  Sorry for the shakey video, I had my 6 yr old tape me.  I went to the range yesterday and hit 3 buckets of balls.  It seems to take me a little bit to find my swing but when I get in that groove it feels really good.  Then all of a sudden it will be gone.  Hopefully that groove gets longer the more I practice.

Enjoy the commentary from my 6 yr old :-)

8 Iron

- David -

I'm trying, I may have to concede I have terrible muscle memory or just keep telling myself I am fighting 15 years or so of ingrained muscle memory. Just gotta keep going to the range. It isn't all going to improve in a couple months

- David -

I just noticed my caddie view isn't the right video, let me fix it

edit: nevermind, must of just been my computer.

- David -

I went to the range yesterday and played 18 finally today.  I feel like I am getting my hip turn down, just need to work on getting my weight forward.  Most of my mishits are fat shots where I hit way behind the ball.  I've noticed I can't take a divot no matter what I do.  I guess I am just a sweeper.  I ended up shooting a 103 today where I had 3 quadruple bogies.  Everything fell apart on those holes.  The rest I was normally just off the green, had a bad chip and missed my par putts.  I was putting for par on the rest of the 15 holes.....I just can't putt.  I had a 4 putt for a double bogie on a par 4.  I only lost 1 ball, which was a bad hook on a drive that came out of somewhere, so that is always good.

Here a 2 videos I shot at the beginning of my range day yesterday.  I had a little epiphany later in the practice with keeping my right leg straight and rotating my hips (Didn't video it).  I discovered things went better when I felt like I was pulling my right hip back instead of my left hip forward.  Now just need to get to get them to keep moving forward.

Both 8 irons, sorry for the caddie view being off centered.  I thought I was better in line with my tripod then I was.

- David -

Note: This thread is 3168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!