IGNORED

In respect of the majors.

Scotsclaff
Note: This thread is 3172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which do you prefer to see in majors?

• Players rip the course apart.
    • When the course shows its teeth and makes a fool of the players.

Set it up hard or easy, you still have to outscore every other competitor to win, they all play on the same course. Not in the same conditions sometimes with rain or mainly wind, but that's something else.

To me the course is the context, the competition is more about the players... I'd rather have the winner at -20 with the 2nd 1 shot behind... than the winner at -8, six shots ahead of everyone

If given a choice between the two extremes, I'd rather watch a full-on birdie/eagle fest rather than see them getting their asses kicked all day on some tricked-up Disneyland course that punishes anything but an absolutely perfect shot.  It's frustrating to me to watch 95% of the shots funneled off into hazards or ridiculous lies and them having to hack their way out of shin-high rough all weekend.  I'd find it more enjoyable to watch them throwing darts at the pins and maybe see somebody shoot 25 under than to have the leader at 2 over by the end of the weekend.  As long as it's a tight field and the leader isn't out front by 10 strokes on Sunday, it's still interesting golf.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think both -on a great summers day its a joy to watch golfers in their element, playing target golf and scoring low. Such as being privileged enough to see Woods win his inaugural Open Championship in the sun at St Andrews in 2000 with a score only bettered by Jason Day last week. On the other side though its great to also see golfers being given a true test -particularly of links golf such as Carnoustie the previous year where again I was fortunate enough to be in the stands -all be it in almost horizontal rain watching my fellow Scotsman Paul Lawrie score 67 on a day when +6 would be the winning 72 hole score to lift the claret jug -whilst seeing Jean Van De Velde bravely carry on in the play off after his predicaments on the 18th. Quite simply its being open to the elements rain, hail or shine which makes Golf up there with some of the most exhilarating sports in the world today.

I get the sense that the PGA is trying to be the anti-US Open. Make scoring good. The last two years players have torn up the course. Even Oak Hill played easier than it ever has in '13. Now weather has played some factors into things, but the PGA has also set it up for scoring too.

I think variety should be the spice of life, the Masters will always be Augusta, the Open: links golf whilst the US Open and PGA can alternate between the type of courses available, it is this which makes the majors special -I guess such as tennis where lawn grass prevails at Wimbledon, clay at Rolland Garros, outdoor hard courts at flushing meadows plus the closed roof of Melbourne. Few other sports have this unique privilege and I think golf should make the most of this privileged variety thats available.

I get the sense that the PGA is trying to be the anti-US Open. Make scoring good. The last two years players have torn up the course. Even Oak Hill played easier than it ever has in '13. Now weather has played some factors into things, but the PGA has also set it up for scoring too.

agreed... they tried there for a few years to make it be "us open" difficult, and it wasn't a great formula... i like the fact that they set it up so that it isn't impossible to score... but i also would like to see it be a bit more penal (although as you note, mother nature has come into play recently)... i probably would be happy with say, somewhere between 8 and 10 under being the winning score... of course, i also want the "old school" us opens to come back... give me back my 6 inch deep rough, rock hard greens, and holes that require long accurate iron shots... i want at least 1 event a year where even par gives you a real shot at winning... british, i don't care about the scoring, as long as they don't "carnoustie up" the course... i'm content with letting the weather determine the scoring... augusta... well... to make me truly happy, they'd get rid of the "second cut" and make the greens firmer again... but to be honest, i'm so glad when masters week finally arrives, i'm just happy to just look at the dogwoods and azaleas and know that spring is here.... :-)

agreed... they tried there for a few years to make it be "us open" difficult, and it wasn't a great formula... i like the fact that they set it up so that it isn't impossible to score... but i also would like to see it be a bit more penal (although as you note, mother nature has come into play recently)... i probably would be happy with say, somewhere between 8 and 10 under being the winning score... of course, i also want the "old school" us opens to come back... give me back my 6 inch deep rough, rock hard greens, and holes that require long accurate iron shots... i want at least 1 event a year where even par gives you a real shot at winning... british, i don't care about the scoring, as long as they don't "carnoustie up" the course... i'm content with letting the weather determine the scoring... augusta... well... to make me truly happy, they'd get rid of the "second cut" and make the greens firmer again... but to be honest, i'm so glad when masters week finally arrives, i'm just happy to just look at the dogwoods and azaleas and know that spring is here.... :-)

Yeah I don't like that the U.S. Open has gone away from the high rough. Will be interesting to see how Oakmont is set up next year. In 2007 they had very dry weather. The greens were as fast, but fair, as you could possibly get them and the rough was brutal off the fairways. I remember Mickelson going wellon Friday with a sprained wrist and then he hit 7 and he had to take an unplayable the rough was so bad. And then on 9 he putted it off the green. Through two days no one was under par and the winning score ended up +5. The USGA under Davis seems to have peeled back the difficulty some. If they wanted to they could have had Chambers play much tougher than it actually did. Will be interesting to see what they do.

[quote name="ccotenj" url="/t/83862/in-respect-of-the-majors/30#post_1188865"] agreed... they tried there for a few years to make it be "us open" difficult, and it wasn't a great formula... i like the fact that they set it up so that it isn't impossible to score... but i also would like to see it be a bit more penal (although as you note, mother nature has come into play recently)... i probably would be happy with say, somewhere between 8 and 10 under being the winning score... of course, i also want the "old school" us opens to come back... give me back my 6 inch deep rough, rock hard greens, and holes that require long accurate iron shots... i want at least 1 event a year where even par gives you a real shot at winning... british, i don't care about the scoring, as long as they don't "carnoustie up" the course... i'm content with letting the weather determine the scoring... augusta... well... to make me truly happy, they'd get rid of the "second cut" and make the greens firmer again... but to be honest, i'm so glad when masters week finally arrives, i'm just happy to just look at the dogwoods and azaleas and know that spring is here.... :-)

Yeah I don't like that the U.S. Open has gone away from the high rough. Will be interesting to see how Oakmont is set up next year. In 2007 they had very dry weather. The greens were as fast, but fair, as you could possibly get them and the rough was brutal off the fairways. I remember Mickelson going wellon Friday with a sprained wrist and then he hit 7 and he had to take an unplayable the rough was so bad. And then on 9 he putted it off the green. Through two days no one was under par and the winning score ended up +5. The USGA under Davis seems to have peeled back the difficulty some. If they wanted to they could have had Chambers play much tougher than it actually did. Will be interesting to see what they do.[/quote] i'm hoping for the same conditions.... :-P my problem with davis is that part of his "philosophy" is to try to have a completely different golf course for each day... his fascination with drastically changing holes from one day to the next whenever possible is not one i agree with... and yes, his setups are too easy as well... edited for clarity...

Note: This thread is 3172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!