IGNORED

Position of clubface at impact

KIDDEREK
Note: This thread is 6038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Whenever I watch pros play, they take a divot on each iron swing. From what I've noticed the divot is in front of where the ball lay.

Does that mean the proper swing is to hit the ball at a downward angle as opposed to a sweeping (parallel to the ground) angle?

Lately, I've been hitting down at the ball, and though my distance is inconsistent, my balls have never been straighter. I think the downward swing at impact gives less room for error thus causing it to go straight.

Any input?

fyi, I've never taken lessons.

From what I understand, you'll want to rotate and swing the arms through the ball with a sweeping motion. It is the release of club head lag that causes the club to travel down and create the divot. For this to occur, you'll need to properly set back the club at the top of the back swing, and then follow through on the downswing with passive hands to allow the release to occur.

What you're referring to is called "squeezing", "pinching", or compressing the ball. It has a very distinctive sound. Especially off mats, IMO. When I first started taking lessons I had a big misconception about what the club face looks like at impact. The correct way is that with an iron, the steeper attack angle hits the ball first and compresses it against the ground. To me it sounds like a "click, swoosh". After compressing the ball, the head then takes the divot somewhere after the ball. If you're taking a divot before the ball or at the ball, you are most likely casting or releasing your wrist cock too early. This causes you to loose power and hit fat shots.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

If the body is moving properly and the ball position is correct, you should be hitting down and through the ball. This will lead to a divot beginning on the target side of the golf ball. The design of the golf club helps with this. If you set down all your clubs with the face square to the target and soled properly on the ground, you should notice that the shaft is angled more in the short irons and close to straight into the clubhead with the driver. This is why 1. ball position should move further forward with longer clubs and 2. why you should take more of a divot with your short irons than your long irons. Also, with the shorter irons, because they are shorter and therefore you are closer to the ball, your swing will be steeper which will lead more of a descending angle than would a longer club, which for the opposite reasons would lead to a slightly flatter approach into the ball and therefore less of a divot, if any. Hopefully your no too confused now. GL

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

• Administrator
Please note, too, that some pros (like Tom Watson) have had a very good career as "pickers" of the golf ball. Tom never took much of a divot (still doesn't).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the body is moving properly and the ball position is correct, you should be hitting down and through the ball. This will lead to a divot beginning on the target side of the golf ball. The design of the golf club helps with this. If you set down all your clubs with the face square to the target and soled properly on the ground, you should notice that the shaft is angled more in the short irons and close to straight into the clubhead with the driver. This is why 1. ball position should move further forward with longer clubs and 2. why you should take more of a divot with your short irons than your long irons. Also, with the shorter irons, because they are shorter and therefore you are closer to the ball, your swing will be steeper which will lead more of a descending angle than would a longer club, which for the opposite reasons would lead to a slightly flatter approach into the ball and therefore less of a divot, if any. Hopefully your no too confused now.

Yes! This makes perfect sense.

Whenever I watch pros play, they take a divot on each iron swing. From what I've noticed the divot is in front of where the ball lay.

On an iron swing, yes. You want to hit ball first, then the ground, and the only way to do that, as my teacher says constantly, is "hit DOWN on the ball!"

Please note, too, that some pros (like Tom Watson) have had a very good career as "pickers" of the golf ball. Tom never took much of a divot (still doesn't).

A lot of old-schoolers didn't, like Watson, Snead, Greg Norman never took one in his life, Seve... I can name a million guys who didn't. But with today's equipment you do want to take a divot. Has to do more with ball technology than anything else.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

...and taking a divot anywhere else but 'in front of the ball' is not too good, unless you like losing club head speed in a hurry.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Re: Divots
The downward strike, taking a divot after contacting the ball, is the more common swing, and generally creates a longer ball and softer landing than a sweeping swing. Some great players, e.g. Tom Watson, use a sweeping swing, which doesn't take a divot.

Note: This thread is 6038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!