IGNORED

Advice on new irons

Note: This thread is 6038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After about a 5 year layoff due to a few heart attacks and a very bad SUV rollover (my left should is still painful, numb and cramps easily and my back isn't just right either), I recently got back into golf. Before that I had played since high school and was a scratch golfer in college.

I am now age 59 and play almost exclusively at a small town CC which is relatively short, with little water, but tiny greens (about a 500-600# average, or say a circle with about a 25-30' diameter). Par is 72. On my last ten rounds my handicap is 9.

The last full set of clubs I bought was in 1992 and I had Ping Zings custom fit and carried 1-9, a PW and a SW, a Ping A-1 putter and TaylorMade Burner Bubble driver and a TaylorMade mid-sized burner 3 wood.

I recently bought a TaylorMade R7 460 Draw (a fantastic club) and Taylor Made R7 Titanium 3,5 and 7 fairway (not rescue) "woods" (equally fantastic) and pulled the 1-5 irons out of the bag and added a Ping Zing Loft Wedge. I also carry a TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad that I am trying to fine tune.

I have not missed any of the 1-5 irons at all; not once.

However, the new R7s are all regular flex graphite shafts and feel very soft. In contrast, my Ping Zings with Ping (True Temper?) featherlite steel shafts in stiff (and with the extra hard Ping grips) now feel like I am hitting rocks with a baseball bat; in short, very harsh.

I have had all types of irons over the years and was happiest (and played the best) with forged blades. It seems the more "forgiving" an iron is designed to be the less distance I get and the harder it is form me to hit consistently well.

The Zings are OK, but very short even when hit perfectly. I wonder if graphite shafts (similar to the regular flex I got on the R7s) and softer grips on the Zings would be the best course or should I go with new blades?

I am reasonably certain that if I do get totally new irons it will only be 5-9 and I'll go with a separate set of new wedges. If I thought I could find irons that are as advanced as the TaylorMade R7 "woods" I would buy them in a NY second.

Of course, the pro shop sales people always want to sell their most expensive clubs, usually Mizuno.

Advice?

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

Wow, you've had more than your fair share of set-backs. I congratulate you on even being able to play golf at all. On top of that, you're playing well.

With that being said, you're not the same player you were when you bought the Zings. So, you need to be fitted for the player you are now. The first thing I see is that you've gone to regular flex shafts on your new clubs, yet your Zings still have stiff shafts. They may be too stiff for the club-head speed you now produce. That would somewhat explain the reason for the "shortness" and harshness of your shots even when you hit them well.

I would suggest calling around to see if you can find a place that specializes in re-shafting clubs. If you have one around, then pay them a visit and have them check out your swing. From there, I'm sure they'll be able to find something that will make your Zings more playable and comfortable.

High quality (read; well-made and consistent) graphite iron shafts are pretty expensive when compared to their steel counterparts. For consistency, dampening and cost, you may want to check out the TT Sensicore steel shafts. According to their website, they have better dampening than graphite.

As far as going back to blades, I would tend to steer you away from them (but, if you want them, then go for it). The only reason why I say this is because blades tend to yield a lower ball flight. With the decrease in club-head speed that you now have, you may end up with a ball flight that's too low (even with the correct flex shaft), so your approach shots to the green may end up releasing when you need them to "sit". Given the fact that your home course has small greens, this could hurt your game more than it helps.

Lastly, Mizuno makes very good irons. Some would say they are the best. But, all that is subjective. Don't discount them because of their cost (Callaway and Titleist tend to be even more expensive). Take a few of their offerinigs for a "test drive" before you decide. If you find a model that is everything you wanted in an iron, then you can always justify the higher cost by saying, "I'm worth it."

Good luck,
DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Sounds like you could really benifit from some grapite shafts on your irons

You may want to reshaft yours. Or you could take advantage of the newer technology and find yourself something new. Maybe some R7's with Graphite, or Nickent makes great irons. They have one set that is supposed to play really long.
Just make sure you hit everything first to make sure you like them and they fit well.

Good luck

L4V M Speed
Insight XTD Hybrid 3 Wood
Insight XTD Hybrid 5 Wood
Idea A30S Hybrid 4 and 5 Irons
09 Burner Irons 6-AW CG14 WedgesF7 2 Ball Putter w/ dyssey Jumbo Grip Grom Bag

may i first say, congratulations on playing so well after so many unfortunate problems..

So, saying how much you love your R7's (i do too!) why dont you look into the R7 TP irons, with graphite shafts? i have hit them, a very sold club they are, there not exactly blades, but they are defiently not for the weekend golfer.

Another user mentioned the nickents, which are supposed to help with distance, and well, they do! they are my current clubs at the moment. the 3DX hybrid irons. while they do help with distance, and distance gaps, they look like shovels at address. I have had a hard time getting adjusted to them coming from Ping s59's. (which are also fine irons)

just some options i would look at.. with graphite or steel..
Titliest 755 blades
R7 TP
titliest 735's
mizuno mp 60's/
mizuno mp 57's
if you still like pings, the s58's/s59's are fantastic clubs.

as for wedges, the market is really betweek three companys, clevland, Taylor made, and Titleist. The vokeys spin milled, the taylor made tP's, and the clevland cg and 588 sersies are all fine wedges.

Hope thsi helps.
Good luck in your quest.
Brian.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

I just purchased a set of R7 Irons. I LOVE THEM!!! They have a solid feel to them.

Good Luck!
IN THE BAG
DRIVER 460 Super Quad 9.5 Degree, RE*AX Stiff Shaft
3 WOOD R7 Steel 15 Degree, RE*AX Stiff Shaft
IRONS R7 Steel Shaft
Wedge CG 10 Black Pearl 56 degreePutter Black Series #2 Blade 33" Ball BLACK

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the help!

I played well Saturday (see my "In the 'Zone'") posting and had 11 consective holes at 3 under (and could have done better), and then 10 over on the other 7 holes (collapsing to a 7 on the final par 4) for a 79.

I hit my Zings so well that I was underclubbing by one and still flying the pins. Probably as well as I have ever hit them, but they still weren't what I want.

I have decided to try the R7s and a few others. I am finding that its very hard to find name any brand blades with graphite shafts straight from the factory. I guess my decision to try is based on getting in the "Zone" on Saturday; if I can get the same feel and confidence with irons that I have now with the R7 woods, That's what I will buy.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

Note: This thread is 6038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!