IGNORED

Equipment advise for new women golfers

mmjlee
Note: This thread is 6039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Took some lessons and looking to purchase my own set of clubs, have been using my male friend's clubs for lessons.

I've narrowed down to three options:

1. Buy a used Callaway Big Bertha 7 pcs set for $400-$500 bucks, and spending more for drivers and hybrids,

2. Buy a Wilson Hope LX Package for $299,

3. Adams Square 2 18 pcs set for $299.

I like the game and would like to get better at it. I want a set that would last me 1-2 years and then move on to a set that better suits me.

I'm leaning toward the Wilson. Any advice?

Thanks
mmj

As a start up set, and of those you listed, the Wilsons or Adams would be fine...but one thing is wrong with them and all womens pre-fab sets..which is the drivers are 12* loft...which is WAAAY too low for a female or senior swing...you need to get at LEAST a 16*. otherwise you're giving up precious distance AND accuracy off the tee box...and we've found most beginners (regardless of gender) put more emphasis on their driver distance, and more subject to quit.

The other thing...do NOT buy a mens set...even if they're cut down to fit...it will not work.

Feel free to PM or email if you have any questions...

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

Find a competent club fitter - hopefully a pro - who can help you find the right shaft length, lie angle, and lofts for you. Many of them will deduct the cost of this service from the price of the clubs if you buy from them, so it might not cost you more in the long run.

As for which set to get? Get one that looks good to you and that feels good when you swing it and hit the ball. That's a big factor to me: if I don't like the way a club looks, I'm disinclined to pull it from the bag, even if it's the right distance for me. And if I don't like the way it feels when I hit it, I sometimes find myself not caring whether I hit it well or not. These problems caused more than a few returns in my short time playing

That having been said, Wilson has a long history of making great clubs. But I doubt you could go wrong with any of the sets you listed, provided that they fit you and meet the other two criteria.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Find a competent club fitter - hopefully a pro - who can help you find the right shaft length, lie angle, and lofts for you. Many of them will deduct the cost of this service from the price of the clubs if you buy from them, so it might not cost you more in the long run.

Excellent answer...I would have recommended a pro fitter as well, but I thought she had narrowed her search to the three.

But the best thing for ANYONE would be to get fitted.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

Thank you everyone for all the comment. I guess I will go for the Wilson set then and get it fitted. Hopefully the shop that I go to will help me fit them. I'm worried that they might not since the set is only around $300 bucks and not $2000. But I'll give it a try.

mmj

Thank you everyone for all the comment. I guess I will go for the Wilson set then and get it fitted. Hopefully the shop that I go to will help me fit them. I'm worried that they might not since the set is only around $300 bucks and not $2000. But I'll give it a try.

Hang on, I read your original post a little more carefully and saw you took lessons. Did your friend give you lessons or were the lessons from a pro? If it was from a pro, find out if she or he can do club-fitting. I was fit for my irons pre-lessons, but bought the rest afterwards without input from him. Since they were mis-fit - shafts too stiff, etc - he did some fitting for me and the shop made the trade for me.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!