IGNORED

Sick of Kelly Tilghman?

SubPar
Note:Β This thread is 3969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

This past xmas I bought for the family a Samsung 50' plasma HDTV. I also upgraded my cable service to digital with the DVR set top box. I'm so blown away by watching stuff in high def now that I really don't pay much attention to the commentary. Not only is that cool but I find myself hitting the rewind button to watch amazing shots over again and then catching up to the live feed during the commercial breaks.

Coming from an analog CRT this new fangled stuff is better than crack!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regularΒ shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I knew there was something I didn't like about her but could never put my finger on it, I would much rather listen to Rich Lerner.

You know how they say when you are speaking in front of a large group you should invision them without clothes so you won't get nervious, try that when listening to her.

CraigΒ 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Personally I like Kelly, but I really think she is uncomfortable with Nick Faldo. She has been better when he is not in booth with her. I really think The Golf Channel analysts need to sit down and watch some European Tour coverage to learn how they are supposed to cover the events.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I'm not a big KT fan, either.

It would be cool if they talked Annika Sorenstam into being a commentator, but I dont know if she could or even would do that.

In her interviews she seems very soft-spoken and Im not sure that a person like that is really cut out for commentating.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

Another cool option that I've longed to see is to have a Caddie show on Golf Channel.

I really like this ID. I recently read "Caddy for Life" by John Feinstein about Bruce Edwards, long time caddy for Tom Watson. Between that book and the Rich Beem/Steve Duplantis (sp?) book "Bud, Sweat and Tees" I really got a good perspective of a caddies life, both on course and off. I think a lot of these guys could really make an entertaining and informative show. Somehow I doubt that Steve Williams would ever make it onto that show, though.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Just read an interesting article that states that some new folks are overseeing the GC and all the talent is being evaluated this year as part of an ongoing attempt to improve the broadcasts. So, who knows where that will lead as the year goes on and decisions are made regarding the future of the on air personalities.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Well we're pretty much stuck with it, if you want to watch the PGA at all. It was tolerable when the GC only carried the first two rounds but now they are carrying all four days. I have suddenly found the European coverage to seem competent and, by contrast, appealing.

I agree with you. The Golf Channel has made a number of bad choices in the past few years, and promoting her to the booth at tournaments was one of the worst. Given their record, the top managers need to be fired before constructive changes can occur.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Absolutely, its not the on air personalities, its the people that hire them.

Example number one: That robot fake deep voice dude from Big Break Mesquite (the one with the all good to excellent male golfers). Who in their right mind put this guy on camera?

Example number two: Letting Vince Cellini walk away for six months. He is obviously their best talent. Why let him leave in the first place? Pay him what he's worth you cheap bstrds.

Years ago, they let Peter Kessler go for asking tough questions to Arnie. OK, he hit some really personal issues with the driver and Arnie's wife, but he was clearly their best talent.

Next, Hiring Nick Faldo. He had already pssd off plenty of other tour players, the media, and Adams (a great company). He is not the guy to be the star of the GC

the GC has done some things right. For Inventors Only and the all female Big Breaks are great. The Euro tourneys are awesome. Shell's WWOG. Showing college tournaments.

I love the GC, but they have this el cheapo attitude permeating from upper management that effects their overall presentation.

My 2cents
Spend some $$ and get a good commentator for tourneys
Someone like John Jacobs, Tony Jacklin, Ian Woosman, Gary Player
Someone with fire in the belly but also a charming personality (not Faldo)

Kelly is good looking and might do better with someone that isn't such a doucher.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2Β  AD333

• 1 month later...
I think Kelly would be better suited working as the lead announcer for the LPGA events. She would identify more with the women and perhaps give better insight on the telecast. I would like to see the Golf Channel promote Brandall Chamblee to the lead announcer job for the PGA events. I think he does a great job and is not to full of himself like Faldo. Chamblee and Cellini would make a great team.

YES YES YES YES I do NOT like her at all. Just TERRIBLE announcing. I like David Feherty much better.

P.S. Does anyone read Devid Feherty's column in either golf or golf digest magazine?

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I also vote to move Kelly Tilghman to the LPGA. Instead of x-pro's as leads how about a knowledgeable golf writer who is not impressed with what he has done as a player. Also I think GC need to have on something worth watching from noon to 1:00 during lunch hours. They are missing the boat on this one. The European tour people are wonderful. Have them come over and cover some of PGA events. That would establish a great reference point for US people on how to do it.

Instead of ranting about her, I listened to her today at match play, she was fine.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Instead of ranting about her, I listened to her today at match play, she was fine.

I totally agree. She is an articulate, intelligent and insightful commentator. It seems that a few of the members of this forum have a dislike of her based on her gender, which is a bit of a pity, especially as I am yet to read a seriously reasoned response as to why she is so disliked.

And...I was watching a golf telecast the other day (can't remember what it was) and one of the commentators talking about a player whose mother plays and when he is down on confidence he would go to the course with her and "beat her brains out". If she had said that some of you would be baying for her blood. I find McCord's OTT enthusiasm tiring and Feherty tries a bit too hard to be the funny guy, but I do like them both most of the time. KT is fine.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

I don't particularly like her on-air voice, which is way back in her throat and clearly a put on. I don't mind her, but I don't love her either. In the end, I think I prefer Sparks.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5Β°) & SQ2 3W (15Β°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19Β° & 22Β°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13Β°) & X-Tour MD (60-11Β°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

I want to see more of the woman from the "Top 10" show ad.... :)

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5Β° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

Look it's very quite simple. Yes, it may come off as sexist, but simply I do not like having women commentators for men's sports. For example, ESPN has a woman commentator sometimes for college football - it ruins it for me completely.

I am sure others feel this way too. It's not 'hating' on women (please do not TRY to be offended), it's simply a matter of preference.

Tilghman is okay, I just don't think she stands out. She doesn't try to sound like herself, she tries to sound like Bob Costas or Al Michaels, or even Jim Nantz. It just doesn't work for me.
What's in R7 Bag:

R5 Dual 9.5 degree
3DX Pro 4-PW irons
3FT Hybrid 54 & 56 wedges*Gigagolf Trufeel putterMy blog:http://matt10-livethedream.blogspot.com/

Hummm... I like her and her commentary. She is not so full of herself, and does not make the show about her.

RC

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 3969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!