IGNORED

Going from 33" to 34"

Note: This thread is 5877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am planning to change my current 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 putter with a 34" shaft. The head itself is 350g but the original 34" SC Newport 2 comes with a 340g head. Is there a reason for this? I do prefer a heavier head so I am assuming it will be ok to install a 34" shaft onto the 350g head. Also what putter shafts do you guys recommend from your experience? Tks.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

"Through our Studio findings we have determined the optimal relationship between shaft length, head weight and shaft flex.

So, if you shorten your putter you will lose head weight and shaft flex. Conversely, if you lengthen your putter you will increase head swing weight and shaft flex. This will affect performance in many different areas, aim, path, ball performance and even sound and feel of the putter.

Length of the putter dictates what head weight should be used. We know that length determines lie, lie determines path, which determines eye position, which determines aim. Length and weight also effects shaft flex, sound, tempo and timing.

If a putter is too heavy it affects transition, tempo and timing. If a putter is too light, it also affects transition, tempo and timing.

Simply put, we build putters that perform." - Source

With such a reputation, I'm pretty much sure Scotty knows what he's doing.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

"Through our Studio findings we have determined the optimal relationship between shaft length, head weight and shaft flex.

Sounds more like a marketing phrase that sounds cool and sophisticated. I am sure some validity in what SC said but I have seen a lot of tour players add weigths to the putter heads without changing shaft lengths. Also what he says doesn't seem to validate putters like heavy putter, ping putters since some of them have same head weight with different shaft lengths. They are great putter manufacturers as well... Anyway, thank you for the info though.

Just want to find out what shaft can be used to make my 350g head into 34". I hear I could use shaft extension as well... I also heard that SC uses another type of putter shaft so I won't be able to use True Temper or UST Frequency Filter shafts... Is this true? Tks.
Driver

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

With such a reputation, I'm pretty much sure Scotty knows what he's doing.

Plus I am SURE not one single Tour player has Scotty weld extra metal onto the putters to make it just right. And forget about lead tape it has never been used on a Scotty.

To say there is a "correct" weighting for something as personal as putters is kind of ridiculous.

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

To say there is a "correct" weighting for something as personal as putters is kind of ridiculous.

I didn't say that nor did I imply such statement. What I said is Scotty Cameron is a well known, if not the most popular putter maker. I don't think there's not one established golfer nowadays who has never heard of him. Now, with a reputation like that there must be a good reason why Scotty chooses a certain weight for a certain shaft length. Perhaps like a standardized (off the rack) thing similar to why some drivers come in 45" long or generally the loft of 3 iron is 21 deg. If you don't like it you can definitely adjust them to your preference by sending them to Scotty's studio. Hey, it's your putter. You can do anything with it. Who to say no?

The thread starter asked me if there's a reason why his Newport 34" headweight is 340g. I simply quoted the relevant subject from their website saying that it could affect the transition, tempo, and timing. Apparently, Scotty Cameron decides that 34" Newport Studio Style is perfect with 340g head weight and he makes sure having the specs engraved on the sole of the Newport head.
What's in the bag:

I didn't say that nor did I imply such statement. What I said is Scotty Cameron is a well known, if not the most popular putter maker. I don't think there's not one established golfer nowadays who has never heard of him. Now, with a reputation like that there must be a good reason why Scotty chooses a certain weight for a certain shaft length. Perhaps like a standardized (off the rack) thing similar to why some drivers come in 45" long or generally the loft of 3 iron is 21 deg. If you don't like it you can definitely adjust them to your preference by sending them to Scotty's studio. Hey, it's your putter. You can do anything with it. Who to say no?

Yup, I get you. I wasn't saying anything to you personally... Just wanted to state that it sounded like a marketing phrase... Thanks for the information. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Driver

Woods

hypergolf,

I think fusioncal's last comment was directed towards Genericity's comments, not your's. So, it's all good.

As far as what you asked about changing heads and shafts, I spoke to them (the people at SC) awhile ago asking about the same thing. I, too, like a heavier-head feeling putter. So, I wanted to know if I ordered a 35" putter, would they put on the 350gm head? They said no, Scotty will not build one like that (just as fusioncal stated).

However, they said that if you have a club already and you wanted to have it reshafted, they would put in the shaft length you requested. So, you could end up having the 34"/350gm putter that you want.

I would recommend sending them an email to see if they will still do this and how much it's going to cost. From what I hear, SC does a fantastic job of refurbishing old SC putters. I guess some people collect them, so people get anal about having all the band markings, etc on the club. If that matters to you, again, talk directly to them. If it doesn't matter, then I think any qualified club builder/repair business can figure out what shaft that's OEM on your putter.

DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I didn't say that nor did I imply such statement.

I should have quoted the entire paragraph so you didn't take it personally.

But I still stand behind what I said, be it directed at Cameron, not you. I find it odd that Cameron modifies Tour players putters and then somewhat claims to have found the "universally correct weighting" of putters. I know he is targeting the averages but I just can't stand blanket statments, especially in concerns to golf equipment.
hypergolf,

He did quote me.

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

He did quote me.

I know. But, I don't think hypergolf realized it because he quoted what fusioncal wrote to you and responded to it as if he wrote it to him. So, I was just merely letting him know that.

Years ago, there used to be a video on Scotty's website. In that video, he talks about how he may modify the shape of a putter-head to suit a particular player's "eye" better. And, how he will adjust the loft and lie to suit the player's stroke better. He may even change the acoustics of the putter because he feels that the sound the putter makes has tremendous input on whether or not the user feels the impact was solid. But, I don't remember him saying anything about changing the clubhead weight (such as adding or removing). So, I don't know if he does or he doesn't do this for the tour players. When I had my conversation with the SC tech, I asked why Scotty (the company) wouldn't build me the (heavier) putter I wanted. I explained that the putters feel very light, which is great on hard, fast greens. But, on much slower, muni-style greens, it required me to either really lengthen my swing or swing faster to get the ball to travel the appropiate distance on longer putts. This led me to have inconsistent putts outside of 15'. He agreed with me because he felt the same way and experienced the same thing I did. So, his response was pretty much the putters are Scotty's designs, so he does or doesn't do what he wants. And, Titleist seems to support his methods, so he's unlikely to change anytime soon. DT

Just want to find out what shaft can be used to make my 350g head into 34". I hear I could use shaft extension as well... I also heard that SC uses another type of putter shaft so I won't be able to use True Temper or UST Frequency Filter shafts... Is this true? Tks.

You can use almost any putter shaft out there so using a TT, Rifle or UST Frequency Filter shaft won't be a problem. I have the UST is a couple of my Scotty's and Yes putters. I stock the UST putter shafts so I'm happy to help if you wanted one.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you could just put a plug in the 33 shaft and regrip, there is no real need to reshaft.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

I should have quoted the entire paragraph so you didn't take it personally.

I apologize, I don't know what got into me that ticked me off. Apparently I misunderstood what you're saying. But yes I do agree, you're totally right that there is no universal weighting as putter is way too personal. Isn't it ironic the one you're directing your statement to is the most well known putter designer?

And Tomboys, thanks for sharing what you talked about with that SC rep. IMO, it's just plain silly to get one of Scotty putter and send them back to his studio just to get the head weight you want. The putter alone costs $$$. I just don't understand they won't let you do a custom order. But I know some other putter makers that let you do so. They're David Mills ( http://www.tpmills.com ), Byron Morgan ( http://www.byronputters.com/ ) and Tom Slighter ( http://www.slightergolf.com/ ).
What's in the bag:

I think my argument can best be summed up by saying, "Who, in their right mind, can say that they know what is best for me in concerns to putter weight, be it Cameron or some dude working on his car in the front of Autozone."

And Tomboys, thanks for sharing what you talked about with that SC rep. IMO, it's just plain silly to get one of Scotty putter and send them back to his studio just to get the head weight you want. The putter alone costs $$$. I just don't understand they won't let you do a custom order. But I know some other putter makers that let you do so. They're David Mills (

You're welcome fusioncal. I'm just glad that some of my experiences are informative

. I absolutely agree with your opinion. That is why I don't use a SC putter. Ahh, checked out some of their putter offerings. Very nice. I may have to inquire about those. DT

You can use almost any putter shaft out there so using a TT, Rifle or UST Frequency Filter shaft won't be a problem. I have the UST is a couple of my Scotty's and Yes putters. I stock the UST putter shafts so I'm happy to help if you wanted one.

It's good to hear that I can reshaft my SC Newport 2 from a fitter. Someone in the forum said that SC uses different kind of shaft so that conventinoal shafts would not fit onto the putter head so I was worried. Adding shaft extension wouldn't affect the putter's performance right?

I would love to order from you but living in a third world country, it will cost me more to ship to you or you sending me the shaft... About 70% chance that they will get stolen as well... kekeke... Thanks for the offer though.
Driver

Woods

That is why I don't use a SC putter.

Neither do I.

What's in the bag:

[quote=hypergolf;87651]It's good to hear that I can reshaft my SC Newport 2 from a fitter. Someone in the forum said that SC uses different kind of shaft so that conventinoal shafts would not fit onto the putter head so I was worried. Adding shaft extension wouldn't affect the putter's performance right? [quote]Na, you'll be fine.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What is the main difference in TT Putter shaft vs Rifle Putter shaft? Tks.
Driver

Woods

Note: This thread is 5877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!