IGNORED

Nike Forged Blades

RichF
Note: This thread is 5948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not only is that wrong, but I think it is pretty arrogant.

Its not arrogant at all mate, its actually an educated opinion that is held by all the most well known golf instructors in the game.

when people watch you play with a set of brand new Nike forged blades all they will think is "all the gear no idea" if tour players know their not consistent enough for blades what makes you think you are?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think game improvement irons really cover any swing faults. In my opinion a good shot can often be determined purely by feel and sound. Game improvement irons might make the ball end up where you want it more consistently, but you'll definitely feel and hear the bad shots.

Personally I don't see much point in buying blades. As far as I know, most players on tour play with cavity backs. If they do it, I don't really know why anybody would choose otherwise. This would really only make sense to me for a person who doesn't have many challenges left in the game of golf and is striving to make the game more difficult. If this is your aim then why not. Of course with a high handicap this makes no sense either. I know a guy who switched to playing with lefty clubs after he got bored with the game. This makes no sense to me personally either, but who am I to judge :)

Am I missing something or is it not the case that by switching to blades you are basically not gaining anything but stand to loose something, as the end results of your shots may become more inconsistent? If this is the case, what is the rationale in switching to blades? Other than the different look that is.

One common sales argument seems to be that blades allow you to shape your shots more easily. I don't have enough information on this to know whether this is true or not since I don't attempt to shape my shots yet. What I've read about the mechanics of shot shaping don't really back this up, but I may be wrong.

As far as playing the game goes I don't really see any rationale with switching to blades. Pimping up your gear is another thing. That's more in the deparment of "Should I shoot my pistol regular or gangsta style?" how ever.

I agree that a person may be a better iron player than his handicap indicates. I began playing golf in May this year and now play to a 23 index. I have concentrated all my training so far on my iron play and driving and have really only gotten short game practice during the rounds I've played. My short game is not that bad but I think that with 50% of the practice time I've put in this year (about 10 hours/week + rounds played) I could probably knock about 5 shots off my index, based on my other stats. Obviously my focus for next year is on the short game, now that I've grown in confidence in driving and iron play (hey it only took about 15 000 shots!).

Everyone: I don't mind folks saying 'you've a 25-handicap...how dare you even think about using blades...what planet are you on'....it's perfectly fine with me! However, I will say that I don't find a mishit on a muscle-back any different to that on a cavity-back...but the feeling of hitting one flush definately outweighs the cavity-back.

Anyway, I digress, whether I can hit a blade or not is a moot point - how it'll affect my game on the course is.
For some who I may have misled on my 'extra-strokes' comment, the only way I can put is a few examples of last Sunday's round - the first 9 holes (I remember them perfectly but I'll try not to bore everyone):

1st Hole - Par5 (490 yds, very slight dogleg-right):
* 3-wood off the tee, 215yards straight (huge oak tree as a 'marker point' right in the centre of the fairway)
* 9-Iron, attempting to go over said tree - clean-shot but mistake: hit branch, veered-off 70 yards into light-rough.
* 8-Iron out of rough, toward green, fell short by about 10 yards
* PW onto green
* 12ft putt - hit long
* 7" putt for bogey

2nd Hole - Par4 (380 yds, dogleg-right):
* 3-wood off the tee, again straight, low and about 200 yards
* 7-Iron slight push into greenside bunker
* SW splash onto green
* 1-putted 7ft for par

3rd Hole - Par3 (170 yds, dead straight)
* 6-Iron off tee, would've been a great draw but misjudged line of pin - greenside bunker
* SW - failed
* SW out onto greenside-rough
* PW, miserable chip leaving me 8ft short
* 1st-putt short
* 2nd putt in for triple-bogey

4th Hole - Par4 (350 yds, dogleg-right)
* 3-Iron off tee, low-boring shot, slightly mistimed and hit maybe 10° left and into light rough, maybe 190 yards
* 8-Iron out of rough, cracking shot - pin-high, but 15ft to the left!
* 60° wedge, crap shot, totally slid face under ball, just onto green but 15ft or so to hole
* 1st-putt - well short by 5ft or so
* 2nd-putt - misjudged break and missed again
* 3rd-putt - holed for double-bogey

5th Hole - Par4 (370yds, dogleg left)
* Driver off tee, dead straight, 245yds
* 9-Iron from fairway, took eye off ball - topped it, ball ended up 8 ft from green
* Pathetic topped PW shot, sped across green and into rear bunker
* SW splash-out, 7ft to hole
* One-putted for bogey

6th Hole - Par3 (185yds, straight)
* 9-Iron off tee, slight draw, left me 5 ft short of green
* PW onto green, 8ft from hole
* 1st-Putt - short
* 2nd-Putt for bogey

7th Hole - Par4 (375yds, slight dogleg right)
* Driver off tee, went for it too much and sliced into deep-rough and lost ball
* PW from fairway onto green, maybe 10ft short of hole
* 1st-Putt 3" short
* 2nd Putt for bogey

8th Hole - Par4 (350yds, nasty dogleg right over two areas of water-hazzards)
* 3-wood off tee, slightly mishit into left-hand rough, maybe 200yds
* PW out of rough, misjudged distance - right into water
* 60° wedge topped across green into bunker - pathetic
* SW - failed - tried to 'baby' the ball out
* SW - splash out onto green
* Two-putted for triple-bogey

9th Hole - Par3 (96yds, straight, across water-hazzard)
* SW off tee, short of green by 4 ft
* PW onto green, too short, leaves me long put, maybe 18ft
* 2-putted for bogey

So at the half-way stage, I've already hit 47 shots - 13 strokes lost mainly due to hideous pitching and weak putting.
My 3-9 iron play I was happy with.
Course-management leaves a lot to be desired.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Must have some crazy elevation changes to hit 9-iron on a 185yd par 3 and a 6-iron on a 170yd par 3 on the same side. The 180yd 7-iron is pretty big too. Anyway, if you want to buy blades, that's your decision. Personally I can hit blades reasonably well at the range, but horribly on the course (that's more of a mental thing). Honestly though, I think some short game and putting practice would serve you better than some new clubs. Just my opinion. I always want to buy new clubs (those Ping i10's look really nice to me), but my lack of practice and mental instability out on the course are larger problems.

New Driver Ordered
New 3 Wood Ordered
Two New Hybrids Ordered
I-701 Irons 5-PW w/ Rifle 5.0
Callaway X-Forged Vintage Wedges 50/12, 54/14, 58/10 (C-Grind Sole) w/ Rifle 5.5Yes! Marilyn 33" Z-URS ||| SkyCaddie SG 2.5 ||| Clicgear Model 2.0

Must have some crazy elevation changes to hit 9-iron on a 185yd par 3 and a 6-iron on a 170yd par 3 on the same side. The 180yd 7-iron is pretty big too. Anyway, if you want to buy blades, that's your decision. Personally I can hit blades reasonably well at the range, but horribly on the course (that's more of a mental thing). Honestly though, I think some short game and putting practice would serve you better than some new clubs. Just my opinion. I always want to buy new clubs (those Ping i10's look really nice to me), but my lack of practice and mental instability out on the course are larger problems.

Maybe I've mistyped my yardages with those - I'll check anyway and repost.

Thing is, with using muscles-backs, don't the distances remain more consistent when you hit flush than than with using cavity-backs, i.e. you can mishit with a CB-iron and yet the ball may still travel almost as far as the flush hit?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

So you have hit 2/3 greens in reg, topped one duffed a couple and made a lot of 'poor decisions' or 'misjudged' the line, you do not have the right control over the ball to justify blades, if you could get over your ego and get a set of forgiving clubs your scores would improve, blades will not fix the problems you have right now.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I see your point about the blades... but you're missing one HUGE problem with your argument... There are A LOT more people playing golf these days because you now don't have to be a supreme ball striker to enjoy the game. The game improvment market is geared at helping people stick with the game, simply because 90% of golfers can't hit a blade consistently enough to develop any sort of game. And if you can't hit your irons consistently how the hell can you expect to manage your game. We're just trying to help you enjoy your new hobby... If you're a very good athlete then maybe you won't have any trouble hitting those blades.

This is hugely wrong. As has been said a lot in this thread, years ago all people had were blades until Ping came along. And you know what, people played better golf years ago. The "game improvement" irons of today do nothing to improve the swing only encourage a steeper outside up-lofted swat at the ball. Cost of the shovels with wide soles and super strong lofts is about the same as blades, so cost is not the issue. Play game improvement clubs all you want but they definitely do not improve your game. I would rather see people who have trouble hitting irons to use 7,9 and 11 woods. These lofted woods are easy to hit but still promote a better swing by giving some feedback on mis hits. To enjoy this game and score consistently, average joe or not, you need to develop a repeatable swing motion somewhat along the correct plane at whatever speed you have got. Lofted woods are the better alternative to "game improvement, super lofted, super wide soled" irons.

So you have hit 2/3 greens in reg, topped one duffed a couple and made a lot of 'poor decisions' or 'misjudged' the line, you do not have the right control over the ball to justify blades, if you could get over your ego and get a set of forgiving clubs your scores would improve, blades will not fix the problems you have right now.

Maybe, but I'd have to say my

real problems lie with 'within-30-yards-of-the-pin' and on the green. Anyway, arguments aside, I'm demo-ing a half-set of Titleist 695 musclebacks this coming Sunday on the same 18-hole course. I will post an update then.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Rich, on a separate note, I really appreciate your patience in this thread, as some people have been less than polite in their suggestions, no matter how true they may be. Get whatever set makes you comfortable and stop worrying what others think about you, either on the course or on some message board. Cheers

Rich, good luck with the demo this weekend. I think your analysis is correct, your short game is where you need to concentrate. In evaluating your 9 hole round it was your short game that let you down.

If I may suggest, regardless of which clubs you choose, spend more time with your wedges and practicing lag putts & 6 foot putts. I think that you will see your average drop considerably.

Don't buy into this 'to improve you need to buy game improvement clubs' nonsense. If that was the case, why do USGA stats show that the average mens handicap has remained virtually the same for the last several decades? Players were learning, playing and scoring with blades and still have the potential to do so. The determining factor is commitment. I have watched kids learn to play with donated persimmon woods. They aren't moaning about needing a 460cc titanium driver in order to improve.

As for 'pimping' out your set with blades to look good, many of these same people that are critical of you for considering blades only for their aesthetic qualities are the very same guys who rush out to buy the latest set of Callaways or Taylor Made clubs for just the same aesthetic reasons.

I'm reminded of my first day of lessons with my new golf instructor after recently moving. Without even seeing my swing, he took one look at my clubs and said, 'I can't teach you to swing those. You need to get some modern clubs". I responded, "Well that says more about your ability as a teacher than it does about my ability".

Go for it Rich!

Irons: Staff 1987 or 1967 Dyna-Power
Driver: R580
3W: Burner Bubble
5W: Quad Pro
Hybrid: Halo 3iPutter: 1955 M2

actually Rich, I think having CB gives you less of a distance gap on mishits... I know that unless I totally "miss" a shot I have a 10 yard distance between solid and mishit shots... But, however, when I tried the X-Forged irons (which I absolutely LOVE and would've like to buy) that distance increased to 20 yards. So, that's why I ended up buying the X-20 tours... Same look as the X-Forged, but more forgiving.

Did I mention how much I love my X-20 Tours?

In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

Rich, on a separate note, I really appreciate your patience in this thread, as some people have been less than polite in their suggestions, no matter how true they may be. Get whatever set makes you comfortable and stop worrying what others think about you, either on the course or on some message board. Cheers

Thanks for the positives, Ruckus - but really, I don't mind!

On a similar level, three years ago, I had folks in real life laugh at me when I started playing tennis using the classic Wilson Prostaff Original 6.0 racquet (with an 85"sq head and leaded-up to 380g) - this was in direct opposition to 90% of players who use the modern-day, cheaply produced, giant 100", massive-sweetspot, light-as-a-feather racquets designed to smash dull-and-boring topspin shots from the baseline, over and over again. Guess they misunderstood and underrated my willingness to learn and play correctly, too.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Rich, good luck with the demo this weekend. I think your analysis is correct, your short game is where you need to concentrate. In evaluating your 9 hole round it was your short game that let you down.

Thanks again for the positives!

I've been spending time on the driving-range just practising hitting toward one of the 100yd pins and in-between using 8, 9, SW, PW, LW varying strengths of swing. I think my problem lies with what my Dad said (and he's also in The 'You-Don't-Want-To-Be-Using-Blades" club): " You're trying to 'baby' the ball onto the green". He also noticed my wrists are cocking both on the backswing and downswing - I reckon I dropped 10 strokes cos of this. (over the full 18, that is). Anyway, we've totally gotten off the track of this thread again: Nike Forged Blades : thoughts/opinions/rants?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

why should other people care about what you want, it does not effect them in anyway whatsoever. the only person who knows your swing is you so if you feel you are good enough to buy the nike forged irons then go ahead an buy them. im sure that when you starte this thread, you did not expect an argument about you not being good enough to use them. so please only say something positive because im sure this is starting to bore everyone now.

why should other people care about what you want, it does not effect them in anyway whatsoever. the only person who knows your swing is you so if you feel you are good enough to buy the nike forged irons then go ahead an buy them. im sure that when you starte this thread, you did not expect an argument about you not being good enough to use them. so please only say something positive because im sure this is starting to bore everyone now.

Thing is, the thread was about a specific mnaufacturer of muscle-back irons.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

(Sarcasm) Some of you guys are just too nice, really. (/Sarcasm)

With that being said, Rich, get the clubs that feel the best to you and give you confidence. That's half the battle with me.

Now, to actually address the REAL question for this thread. I personally have not hit the Nike Forged Blades, but a friend i golf with alot has them and is striking the ball better than ever. But I would demo all 3.

Good luck with whichever you choose, and dont let the arrogance of some of these posts alter your thought process. Try to just stick to the helpful ones!

In my Syncro Bag;
Driver SQ Sumo 9.5
3 Wood Sumo 2 13
Hybrids SQ Sumo2 20
Irons CCI 4-SWWedge SV Black Chrome Milled 60Putter White Hot XG #9 34"Ball Pro V1

Hey Rich, good luck with the demo this weekend. I know that the CCi Forged provide an abbundance of feedback so it won't take you long to figure out if you're hitting them flush or not. For kicks I gave the 3 and 4 irons a few wacks... let's just say there's a reason I have a 2 and 4 hybrid in my bag

In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

Thanks again for the positives!

My advice Rich is to get some golf lessons first. Once you have ironed out your major swing faults, you will be better qualified to demo different types of clubs and find the right combination that will improve your game.

If you are cocking your wrists at the wrong moment, a new set of blades isn't going to help. I play Mizuno MP-67 irons which I bought recently after paying MP-33's for a several years. I took the opportunity to demo every type of club out there and kept an open mind. I took a serious look at the Callaway X-Forged irons with the knowledge that I had stopped playing for a couple of years and maybe an improvement type of club would be more beneficial to me. In the end, the Mizuno's were the best combination for me. Alas, I play off a 4 handicap and can't empaphise with the problems faced by a 25 Handicapper wishing to use blade clubs. Buy the clubs that you play the best with but don't demo clubs until you get a few lessons first.

Note: This thread is 5948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!