IGNORED

Cutting Putter Shaft

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I reciently was fitted for a putter and need to take off 4 3/4 inches off the shaft. I currently have the Odyssey Black Series #2 putter and called Odyssey and they said it would be ok to cut the shaft that it would not mess with the specs of the putter.
I just want to know if anyone else has done this. Did you have to adjust the mechanics of you swing due to the shorter shaft?

Any help will be appreciated.
IN THE BAG
DRIVER 460 Super Quad 9.5 Degree, RE*AX Stiff Shaft
3 WOOD R7 Steel 15 Degree, RE*AX Stiff Shaft
IRONS R7 Steel Shaft
Wedge CG 10 Black Pearl 56 degreePutter Black Series #2 Blade 33" Ball BLACK

I cut an 1" + if I remember right off my putter. Helps me get more over the ball, longer putter was hitting my shirt or coat this time of year in NH! Getting a better line on my putts. Played 27 yesterday, no 3 putts all day!

"Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and , for no reason at all, you really stink." -- Bob Hope

Driver:TM 09 Burner
3 & 5 Wood: Callaway BB War Bird
Irons: TM R7 3-PWWedges:Maxfli...

A guy I play with acutally uses a 26" junior putter. He's 5'10 and about 320 lbs. It's a halarious sight but when he lags it to 2 inches, everyone shuts up.

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

4 3/4"! - That's a lot to cut off!

I am 5'7" and did have an inch and a half cut off of my Ping putter a while back so it doesn't poke me in the belly when I choke down for shorter putts. When I lag, I use the full length. The grip is long enough for me to make the adjustment though.

My recommendation is to leave yourself some length, so you can stand tall at times and choke down at others.

You don't want the shaft to interfere with your swing and you don't want to be gripping it way on the shaft off of the grip.

Another note:
I bought my son a Zebra putter with a short shaft when he was younger and then he grew 6 inches in two years. I went to GolfSmith.com and bought a shaft extender, some epoxy and grip supplies and we added 3 inches back. That was a whole lot cheaper than reshafting. So if you do cut too much off, you still have the opportunity to put back some on.

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

Well I'm aslo 5'-7" and the guy who was fitting me said I need a 29 1/4" shaft on my puter. That sounded like alot to me so thats one reason I wanted to get some feed back. I was thinking of taking off 2" at the absolute most. I might try 1" first and see how that does.
IN THE BAG
IRONS R7 Steel Shaft

I'm 5'11" if that helps. I went from 34" to 32++a little. Did same thing, figured out where I wanted my hands when I grip low and what felt good for full length...messed with an old putter I made a few years back, then cut mine down and added the soft Winn grip. Good luck!

"Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and , for no reason at all, you really stink." -- Bob Hope

Driver:TM 09 Burner
3 & 5 Wood: Callaway BB War Bird
Irons: TM R7 3-PWWedges:Maxfli...

Wow, you have to cut almost 5 inches off your putter, and they said it should be ok???? I'm not a big fan of cutting shafts on a putter because from what I understand the manufacturers use different weighted heads for some of their putters (35" shaft would have a different weighted head as a 33" shaft in the same model) and I'd be really scared about cutting almost 5 inches off.... I could be wrong, but to be safe I'd just order a new putter with the correct length shaft.
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

i have a friend that is 6' and he does the same thing...i know i'm suppose to keep quiet..but damn..it just looks too funny....

A guy I play with acutally uses a 26" junior putter. He's 5'10 and about 320 lbs. It's a halarious sight but when he lags it to 2 inches, everyone shuts up.

I called Odyssey and they told be that the heads were all the same weight. So I brought it to the local golf shop and had 1 1/2 taken off. I really like the way the putter feels when I address the ball now. Oh they also added some led weight in the shaft to keep the balance and head weight the same as before. Ill try it out this weekend and see.
IN THE BAG
IRONS R7 Steel Shaft

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!