IGNORED

Cobra Carbon CB vs Titleist 755

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there,

I wanted to open a new thread about the Cobra Carbon CB and the Titleist 755, but because I'm just a 'newbie' on this forum, I'm not allowed to do that.
Which of those 2 do you guys recommend? I'm a 22 year old with a 12 handicap who's looking for clubs to get into the single digits.
The cobra's cost 699$, the 755's 799$.
I was really impressed to see the CB's at #1 in the GOLF hot list, but then again, they weren't even mentioned in the Golf Digest hot list :s ?
Hope to get some feedback here :) thanks anyway.

G10 driver 9° TFC / stiff
V-Steel 3 wood 15° /stiff
Carbon CB 3 - PW / stiff
Vokey Spin Milled 56°
Karsten B60 Hoofer Stand Bag 2008

come on guys, someone must have any experience testing these, no?

Oh yeah and I'm planning to order them before february, so would it be of any use to wait a little and order them after the hollidays in january? Both models are from 2006 so... Will there be a 'sale' then? Cause I'm Belgian and I'm planning to order at Golfsmith.com, but I don't know when there are 'sales' in the US.

Thanks!

Carbon CB 3 - PW / stiff
Vokey Spin Milled 56°

I have played with the Carbon CB and the 735cm, but not the 755. I do have some knowledge of the 755, but it's limited to the 6 iron on the driving range.

I wrote a psuedo review on the Carbon CB (search the threads here under "Cobra Carbon CB...impressive"). The 755 was reviewed on The Sand Trap (sorry, I don't know how to post links to direct you there), so you can read it over. Personally, I think the Carbon's are a real "sleeper" set. Meaning that they don't get a lot of press from Cobra because the company is known for being the more playable division of Titleist. And, they don't have a huge tour list like the other companies. So, the press tends to focus on their game-improvement offerings.

However, the Carbon CB irons are, IMO, the "real deal". They perform. People may dismiss them because they're cast, but don't let that fool you. They have tremendous feel, are workable and have a nice (albeit slightly on the higher side) trajectory. These clubs were designed for the better golfer. Mishit these clubs and you'll feel it and the results of your shot will prove it. So, don't think that you can get "slap happy" with these clubs because they're supposed to be forgiving. Slap them and they'll slap you back.

Also, not that it really matters to most good golfers, but Golf Magazine tested the Carbon CB against the 755 (and a few other clubs) and rated the Carbon's highest overall. In all the different categories (granted these tests are subjective), the Carbon's rated equally or better than the 755's.

Personally, I think the Carbon's are the better looking of the two. I tend to gravitate towards chromed (from playing blades) or highly polished clubs, which the Carbon's are (polished). The 755's satin finish and red damper "chip" doesn't do it for me. That's just a personal peeve and it doesn't affect the overall performance of the club. But, then again, having a club that "fits your eye" cannot be discounted, so I won't dismiss the appearance factor entirely. At address, I compared my chrome version 735 iron and the Carbon CB. You can definitely tell that these two companies shared information. They appear almost identical.

Lastly, as far as sales go, I don't think so. Most sales at golf stores don't include Acushnet products (Titleist, Cobra, Footjoy), so I wouldn't hold much hope there. In fact, Achushnet strictly forbids them from marking down products unless it's an older model (like their drivers and some woods) that are being replaced by another model. But, irons tend not to be discounted for any reason.

Hope this helps,
DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

ok, sorry in advance for the novel here, but i have quit a bit of info on this subject.

as you can see in my sig, i own the carbon cbs.. got them i think in early july or so.. i absolutely LOVE them. the only thing i was concerned with was going with steel shafts, but im very satisfied with these clubs.

i was hitting with the callaway big bertha x-14s, reg graphite shafts before i switched.. good clubs, but too much offset for me. my goal is to get my hdcp as low as it can go which began my hunt for new fitted clubs.

while in the hunt for clubs, i also hit the titleist 755s, 735s, 695 mbs and cbs, cobra fps and cobra carbons.. the pros at the golf course i go to are titelist ****s(lucky me!) and all only play titleist. they also have full sets of all these clubs sitting in the back. i had my heart set on the 695s(even though at the time, ill estimate that i was at about a 18 hdcp). but i loved the thin topline and when i pured it, it felt so good! but, the occurence of pure hits with those clubs decreased as i kept hitting with them and decided i should try something a little bit more "user friendly" for now. so, the next clubs up from these are the 735s with the progressive set.. some cavity backs in long irons to muscle backs in the mid to short irons. personally, i wasnt impressed with them and progressive set of clubs isnt for me. but 2 guys that work at the course i practice at play with them and do great with them. then i was given the 755s to hit, the more "forgiving" of the titleist family. hit with them for about 15 minutes and didnt have one pure shot. i just didnt feel comfortable with them and they actually have quite a bit of offset that was throwing me off at address. they are supposed to be the "easiest" titelist clubs to hit, but they just werent the clubs for me. same for the 775s.

then i noticed a shiny set of clubs in the back of the rack.. i picked them up and nobody really could tell me a whole lot about them, they were the carbon cbs. i thought they looked a lot like the 695 cbs so i took them out in a head to head comparison. the carbons were the first clubs to wow me..

1. had the low profile top line that i loved looking down at
2. felt very similar in weight to the 695s but i felt like it was more evenly distributed.
3. mishits were not as pronounced as with the 695s. you feel it when you miss the sweet spot, but they are very forgiving for their "player's iron" reputation.
4. can work the ball with these clubs if i want to, but i dont really, unless im behind a tree or trying to escape some sort of obstacle.
5. minimal offset. my shot shape is straight (with a slight fade, sometimes). so this was the deciding factor for me.

a few weeks after i bought my clubs, i ran into one of the pga teaching pros.
apparently, he is on staff with cobra and had just gotten his set of carbons! he was so shocked to see another person with them, since not a lot of people know about them or want to play them for that matter. he was saying that he was going to stick with this set for the next year even though he could upgrade to new ones for free! i thought that said a lot.

anyway, if you have any specific questions, just let me know as i play with these clubs daily. just played 9 holes at a par 3 course(with only 1 par 4, 335 yds) and shot 1 over. my best round yet with these. and if i had to do it again, id make the same choice.

HS9 10.5 reg shaft ys5.6
Big Bertha Steel Heads 3 &5 woods
Carbon CB PW-5i
baffler 20* 4i
Vokey wedge 54* White Hot # 1 KARMA balls for winter"maybe if we all stopped analyzing and thinking so much about this GAME, we'd have time to play this GAME like a GAME is supposed to be PLAYED. ...

Thanks a lot guys, you made my choice even easier!

I wanted to order them a couple of hours ago, but now it seems Golfsmith doesn't ship to Belgium, where I live :s
And they don't sell those cobra's anywhere in Belgium, so does anyone know another good online store who DOES ship to Belgium? Or one that simply also does international shipping?

Hope someone can help me.
Big thanks for the nice reviews.

Carbon CB 3 - PW / stiff
Vokey Spin Milled 56°

have you tried the golf warehouse? i believe its www.tgw.com . ive ordered clothes and stuff from them before. i checked their international shipping list and the most specific that it got was "over 290 cities in Europe." anyway, worth a shot and they do have them in stock. good luck.

edit:** apparently, the link in my post works! so just click it and check it out.

HS9 10.5 reg shaft ys5.6
Big Bertha Steel Heads 3 &5 woods
Carbon CB PW-5i
baffler 20* 4i
Vokey wedge 54* White Hot # 1 KARMA balls for winter"maybe if we all stopped analyzing and thinking so much about this GAME, we'd have time to play this GAME like a GAME is supposed to be PLAYED. ...

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!