IGNORED

My Swing (Ponyo)

Ponyo
Note: This thread is 3037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 8ish? 
My typical ball flight is: High, high spin
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: the push, or too much of a high draw

Hi ! I've been playing for a while, but i haven't played for about 3 years, since moving to Houston for my job. I've started back up, and would really appreciate any help. I just want to become more consistent. I've never been sure whether to hit a draw or a fade. I grew up forced into hitting a draw as my shot, but i'm open to a new shot. 

Videos: I think I've attached this correctly.... 

I'm open to all construction criticism... Thank you !

Edited by Ponyo

Nice swing man. You have a lot of good stuff going for ya. 

Your swing is a tad long. I think it might cause a few inconsistencies at impact with timing. It's probably why you slow down your turn rates. 

A4 Long.JPG

This would be a very good position. 

A4 Good.JPG

This would be a more pressing issue 

A4 Good.JPG

At impact your butt comes off the wall. You could do a better job keeping up those downswing turn rates. Get the hips open more and keep that butt against the wall better. Your shoulders should be slightly open at impact as well. Just keep turning those hips and maintain that axis tilt leaning over the ball. 

A7.JPG

It looks like your clubhead overtake the hands really early into the finish. See how you don't see the clubhead here. It's already flicking past your hands. 

A8.JPG

Versus Jason Day where you can still see the club and the arms are carrying up into the finish. That is because he has better sequencing with his arms and lower body. He keeps those turn rates up. Notice how he's still bent over towards the ball even past impact. 

Jason Day.JPG

The simple description would be to be more dynamic through the ball with the turn. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for the feedback. 

When you say "keep up the turn rates" it seems like I need to put some weight on my left side and really finish more firmly on my follow through? 

I'm just trying to understand you perfectly so i can describe how to tell myself what to do exactly. 

Thank you again for these tips, i really appreciate it. 

10 minutes ago, Ponyo said:

When you say "keep up the turn rates" it seems like I need to put some weight on my left side and really finish more firmly on my follow through? 

I'm just trying to understand you perfectly so i can describe how to tell myself what to do exactly. 

It would be hard to say with out seeing a front on view of your swing how much weight is on the front leg. Here are two videos that go into more on the subject. 

A few feelings that might work are. 
1. Drive the right side, your right hip pocket, right seem of your shirt more towards the ball. 
2. Rip your left shoulder up and around more, try to get the shoulders more open. 
3. Maybe feel like your left butt cheek stays on the wall longer. 
4. Maybe you just need to feel like your over the ball more. 
5. Sometimes trying to swinging the arms faster towards the ball speeds everything up better. 

It could be one of many things. Good practice is figuring that out. 

A good drill might be to take swings with out a club keeping your butt against an actual wall. Work on feeling pressure under your front foot in  the transition then turn so your left butt is on the wall and then your left pocket. Just see what feels best for you. Then figure out what golf swing feel works best to reproduce that movement. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

These all make a lot of sense. I feel like i've gotten a bit "jammed up" on my downswing and feel like i need to release everything a bit better. This will really help with that. Those videos have been really helpful. 

I'll try get a front shot of my swing this evening, and post it tomorrow if it will help? 

Swing looks really nice - as @saevel25 points out, there's loads of good stuff (and his analysis is usually spot-on). I'd completely agree with him on the shorter swing and you'll be amazed as to how you'll keep pretty much the same distance. Looking forward to seeing what you do from here - will be following :-).

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• 1 month later...

UPDATE ! 

So, after a couple months of getting all the rust off - I was able to get a video of my swing. I've been working on:

1. Shortening my swing. It's crazy how my swing feels really short, but it's still maybe a slightly touch too long. For the record, of my 3 videos, this on had the longest swing at the top ;) 

2. Keeping my butt back through impact. This is by far the harder part, and i'm still trying to let this soak in. 

I'm going to go through all these tips again and go back to ground zero and keep working at it. It's a slow work in progress. 

Again, all construction criticism is more than welcome. And thank you guys so much for all the tips so far ! 

I was able to find a decent front on view : 

After watching this over and over i feel like my lower body just isn't quite right. I can't tell if it's my left leg not driving enough to the left on my downswing or if it's not enough weight on my right foot on my take away, or maybe both? But either way, maybe i could get some feedback from this.

Thanks 

Note: This thread is 3037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!