IGNORED

Breaking out of a Slump

Note: This thread is 6835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I'm in a bit of a slump right now. I've not hit the ball well for the past two to three days. I played well Tuesday but couldn't putt.

What do you do to break out of a slump? I have my club championship Saturday and Sunday. The pressure is non-existent - I don't care how I do. It's just a good reason to golf on the weekend as far as I'm concerned.

I tend to go back to the basics - grip, posture - but those are good for me right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ive found it tends to be the extremes that help you out in times of need.Either practice like a man possesed or just play like normal,infact,when it means the most,play like its the most friendly game you've ever played in....

Plenty of good coaches have told me before to "play through/swing through my problems..." - i guess they were saying they were mental and the slump was in the mind as much as the body...."JUST GET UP AND FREAKIN HIT IT MAN spring to mind"

Personally for me its nearly always mental.I find it hugely important to concentrate in ALL games - friendlies,evening games etc etc so that on competition day you are used to being in the right frame of mind.If i even begin to think after a week of going on autopilot and knocking shots off willy-nilly i can expect to "turn up the heat" come the competition at the weekend then im kidding myself.Hardly surprising as my mind and hence body,have no prior experiences to rely on and are effectively presented with a fresh challenge which they cannot compete with.........

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

I go to the range and try to hit crazy shots. Hit major ass slices and hooks with all your clubs. Hit really high 3 irons and line drive sand wedges, hit punch shots, 1/2 shots, runners... Just do all sorts of different types of shots, ball positions and stances. It seems to cleanse for me. Then when I have an idea of the mechanics of why the ball is flying in what direction, hitting it straight doesn't seem that hard!

i just got out of an iron slump today by hitting 3/4 and smaller shots. my fullswing was messing up my impact and followthrough, giving me a terrible feel so i brought my swing down and focused on what was REALLY bogging me down which was my impact position. sometimes it's better to look at the smaller picture

don't know if that helps but now my 3/4 SW goes almost 100 yards
Rich Lee's Artillery
---------------
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5° Aldila NV 65-S
3-Wood: Titleist 980F 15° TTDG S300
Hybrid: dunno yet...Irons: 3-PW+GW Titleist 704.CB TTDG R300Wedges: (subject to change)Putter: White Hot XG #11Ball: Titleist ProV1Handicap: 10and i2!ch = RICH

That's usually a great fix. I've done the same thing mid round when I'm struggling. I will go with more club and hit a knock down that flies lower and straighter with more roll. It's a great way to keep the ball in play. It will also help you when you have to deal with wind.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!