IGNORED

Jason141 new clubs

Note: This thread is 2881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey I'm looking into different clubs in trying to decide either callaway ft irons or Nike vr pro combo forged irons what's everyone opinion. Thanks

• Administrator

That's pretty vague. Have you hit them? What did you think?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At a 12 handicap I'd think you'd want to test the irons before you buy them.  You also haven't listed any details about the clubs such as the installed shaft and stiffness, so not sure what feedback you're expecting.  Kind of like asking someone if you should buy a Mustang or Camaro.  

Joe Paradiso

You're not giving us much to go on. What is your current iron set?

As for the Nike VR Pro Combo, I'll let others comment on that.

As for FT irons... I to follow Callaway and know a bit about their classic irons, but I really don't know anyone who used the FTs.

• Came out in 2008 along with XForged, X20 Tour and X20. (See note on i-brids)
Spoiler

Callaway also offered FT i-brid iron sets with 3, 4 and 5 i-b clubs, and regular irons for rest. But, i-brid was a separate offering with different loft gapping in actual irons than FT.

• FT had the same shaft length for comparable # irons as the X-family irons of 2008.
  • Stock shafts were the FT Iron Graphite (L, R, S at about 75 grams) and the NS.Pro 100, a 110-gram steel Uniflex.
  • I hit all the X-clubs in spring 2009, but not the FTs.
  • Scattered reviews on the FTs promoted idea that the club got the ball up high without loss of distance. The wide sole looked similar to the circa 2007 Big Bertha iron heads.

As @newtogolf said, you won't know much until you try the two irons models out. I'm worried you'll be wasting time and $$ if you go buy-and-try with assorted iron models. Why not get fitted with newer used offerings?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I hit the Nike vr combo irons before not the pros but I can't afford new ones to get fitted I've read good reviews on both just seeing if anyone has experience with them to help out my decision

Well, for what it's worth I currently use the Nike Vapor Pro Combo irons, which are a generation newer than the VR but nevertheless I very much enjoy them. 

One caveat -- on my 9 iron, the club's leading edge metal is actually worn off down to the raw finish of the club below. Since I can't be without a 9 iron for 3 weeks, I'm using it as is though Nike offered to take a look and replace it if necessary. They aren't old clubs, though, so I'm surprised that the durability isn't quite up as I think it should be.

Other than that, though, they're great and even my cosmetic complaint isn't something that changes its performance. 

My brother who is a good junior golfer uses mostly all Callaway equipment, where as I mentioned I have lots of Nike equipment. I think that my Nike clubs accomplish the "in between" pro combo style set better than the Callaways I've tried in the past. I think that my Nikes are not the longest clubs in the world either, as compared to his similar Callaways (but he swings faster than I do, too). Then again, I don't think that any Nike pro combo set has ever pretended to be the longest iron out there, either. Just my two cents of course. 

But again I really must add in that no matter who has experience with what it's not very helpful to you as a golfer unless you are able to get fit... even for used models as WUTiger mentioned. 

Andrew M.

Yes with being a 12 handicap my iron play is really good it's my driver I have a hard time with. Can't be a scratch golfer always playing out of the woods. But anyway I'm 5,8 and the ft irons are. . 5" shorter than the Nikes, and I hit the ball higher than most and shorter.      4i-185 

Do you know the guy selling these irons or is there some other reason you've limited your choices to these two?  There are a lot of places to buy pre-owned irons from that are reputable.  Unless the prices are really low I'd expand the search a bit.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!