IGNORED

My Swing (Mike85)

Mike85
Note: This thread is 2881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 Year

My current handicap index or average score is: 100
My typical ball flight is: High Fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice

Hi Folks,

Just realised tonight that my phone has a slow motion option so took the below in a bit of a hurry. Will get better content up ASAP but figured I'd start my thread now. 

I've been playing golf for about a year, which in Ireland equates to about 3 months, due to our weather!

I've been lurking on this site for nearly as long and have picked up loads of useful tips. So thanks to all the contributors on here! 

Any advice on how to improve my swing based on my crappy video below would be much appreciated.

Videos:

Edited by Mike85

12 hours ago, Mike85 said:

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 Year

My current handicap index or average score is: 100
My typical ball flight is: High Fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice

Hi Folks,

Just realised tonight that my phone has a slow motion option so took the below in a bit of a hurry. Will get better content up ASAP but figured I'd start my thread now. 

I've been playing golf for about a year, which in Ireland equates to about 3 months, due to our weather!

I've been lurking on this site for nearly as long and have picked up loads of useful tips. So thanks to all the contributors on here! 

Any advice on how to improve my swing based on my crappy video below would be much appreciated.

Videos:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Is there a way you can send a better video? More light is needed and the down the line view should ideally line up  with your toe line. A face on view would help too.

I would start with this thread in the meantime.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Is there a way you can send a better video? More light is needed and the down the line view should ideally line up  with your toe line. A face on view would help too.

I would start with this thread in the meantime.

Appreciate the comment man. I will be back at the range in a few hours after work. I figured out I had a slow motion option right at the end of last night's session, hence the crappy vid.

I will post better vids after tonight's session and I will prioritise my hip turn.

Cheers

Between the wind, the sun and the lack of space on my phone I didn't get any video last night. 

Tried to focus on turning my hips as opposed to swaying. Was catching turf on 4/5 shots but for the 1 shot I was catching clean my 7 iron was going 160 instead of the usual 150. 

Ill be up there tonight and will hopefully get some video. Sobering trying something new and not being able to hit the ball but lack of consistent distance with all my clubs is a big issue for me.

Hopefully this is the start of more distance!

2 hours ago, Mike85 said:

Between the wind, the sun and the lack of space on my phone I didn't get any video last night. 

Tried to focus on turning my hips as opposed to swaying. Was catching turf on 4/5 shots but for the 1 shot I was catching clean my 7 iron was going 160 instead of the usual 150. 

Ill be up there tonight and will hopefully get some video. Sobering trying something new and not being able to hit the ball but lack of consistent distance with all my clubs is a big issue for me.

Hopefully this is the start of more distance!

Wind definitely makes filming hard. Keep the practice slow. It is very hard to change things at full speed.

Scott

My Swing Thread

(edited)

Not sure how much better these vids are. Need a tripod and proper camera going forward I think.

I'm trying to focus on the hip turn in these but I also just wanted to put up my full swing dtl and fo just to have it up here and to get other opinions.

Ill keep at the hips unless there's a more pressing issue that needs addressing from the above vids.

Cheers

Edited by Mike85

Dang you've only been playing a year?? You have a very good swing. Only thing that pops out is that your plane is a bit steep. If you flatten it out, the ball will fly lower and straighten out (if your grip is good and face is square at impact that is. YouTube lessons are your friend!

17 hours ago, Mike85 said:

Not sure how much better these vids are. Need a tripod and proper camera going forward I think.

I'm trying to focus on the hip turn in these but I also just wanted to put up my full swing dtl and fo just to have it up here and to get other opinions.

Ill keep at the hips unless there's a more pressing issue that needs addressing from the above vids.

Cheers

Your hip turn looks pretty good. Now I would recommend you work on getting your weight to go more forward from the start of the downswing. On the face on video, watch your left hip. It doesn't really move forward much from A4, the top of the backswing to impact. Check out the Key 2 videos on this thread. Those will help.

Scott

My Swing Thread

(edited)

Was away for a few days so only getting back to the range today. 

Above are both 7i. Trying to get my hips forward to start the downswing. Mixed bag really, some good contact mixed with bad. Playing this Saturday so will hit the range tomorrow as well.

Edited by Mike85

Check out this thread.

At the top of the backswing, your back is leaning toward the target. On the right hand photo below, his hips have moved toward the target, but his back is still centered.

c58ffaa9_hips7.jpeg

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Played Saturday but a lightning storm brought us in after 6 holes so we just got drunk instead. 

Was hitting my irons well but every drive was slicing and it was a tight courses so I was scoring badly.

Trying to get my hips to turn properly and to get them to start my downswing

Edited by Mike85

You are hitting a slice because your swing is just a little outside the hands at A6 and then you pull them in like crazy to hit the ball and exit very low. Irons can be done but with the low loft of the driver the occasional slice may show up.

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 1.27.43 PM.png

I highlighted the clubhead for you and Rock. His is in green and you can see is inside his hands. You have lots of turning, which is good. We want to keep the rotation. But we need to add some linear motion forward in order to get your path to in to out. Here is a video for you to watch.

It is kinda along the same lines as @boogielicious recommended about getting your weight forward.

Let me add, your swing is pretty good. You are doing a lot of really good things naturally. Once we get your weight forward you are going to be hitting it pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Michael

(edited)
22 hours ago, mchepp said:

You are hitting a slice because your swing is just a little outside the hands at A6 and then you pull them in like crazy to hit the ball and exit very low. Irons can be done but with the low loft of the driver the occasional slice may show up.

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 1.27.43 PM.png

I highlighted the clubhead for you and Rock. His is in green and you can see is inside his hands. You have lots of turning, which is good. We want to keep the rotation. But we need to add some linear motion forward in order to get your path to in to out. Here is a video for you to watch.

It is kinda along the same lines as @boogielicious recommended about getting your weight forward.

Let me add, your swing is pretty good. You are doing a lot of really good things naturally. Once we get your weight forward you are going to be hitting it pretty good.

Cheers man, I really appreciate yours and @boogielicious input here.

I'm looking at all the key 2 videos now. I thought this game was hard when I had nothing going through my mind!:-D

Edited by Mike85

Note: This thread is 2881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!