IGNORED

Switching from Graphite to Steel Shafts

Note: This thread is 5985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently purchase a set of TaylorMade TP R7's with DG S300 shafts. I have played with the TM Bubble irons with the S-90 graphite shafts for 10 years. What differences can I expect in respect to the change in shaft?

Driver: R7 425 w/ Grafalloy Tour Blue S
3-wood: Ti Bubble 2
Irons: TP R7 w/ DG S300 shaft
Wedges: 55 & 60 deg.
Putter: My old trusty Tc.1Ball: Pro v-1 Bag:Never, Never, Never Quit!

The differences will be that you might lose 5-10 yards of distance with the steel, but the newer head technology might get that back. The shots might feel a bit more responsive and 'clicky'. Also, you should be more consistent with steel.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I recently purchase a set of TaylorMade TP R7's with DG S300 shafts. I have played with the TM Bubble irons with the S-90 graphite shafts for 10 years. What differences can I expect in respect to the change in shaft?

Switching from graphite to steel? They'll feel firmer, heavier, and harsher. But that's okay, you'll get used to it in no time. Just keep swinging.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

What are the respective shaft weights? Graphite, even the heaviest, is almost always lighter than even the lightest steel. You will get more feel for the ball at the expense of more feel (can you say tingles?) and occassional harsh shots.

The kick in the shafts is almost certainly different and you may lose some height on shots. I expect you may be going back in the not too distant future. How many big buck drivers are offered off the shelf in steel? I might try Boron shafts or some other fibre alternative, but I'll never go back to steel again.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

The differences will be that you might lose 5-10 yards of distance with the steel, but the newer head technology might get that back. The shots might feel a bit more responsive and 'clicky'. Also, you should be more consistent with steel.

Consistent distance was an issue for sure with the graphite. I understand what you mean by "clicky" and yes I have lost about 5 yards. On thing I have not figured out is the increase in 'fat' shots?

Driver: R7 425 w/ Grafalloy Tour Blue S
3-wood: Ti Bubble 2
Irons: TP R7 w/ DG S300 shaft
Wedges: 55 & 60 deg.
Putter: My old trusty Tc.1Ball: Pro v-1 Bag:Never, Never, Never Quit!

Note: This thread is 5985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!