IGNORED

name brands vs non-name brands

Note: This thread is 6828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently in the market for a new set of irons. Is there really a big difference between name brand and non-name brand sets. I was originally looking at lower end clubs ($200-400) of the name brands, but have come across some other brands like acer, oxygen, and turbo which are supposed to compare to the higher end name brand clubs, but are a small fraction of the price.

Specifically I am looking at the Acer XP Hollow Core Beta Titanium Irons which are suppose to compare to the Callaway Fusion's, and also other Acer clubs which compare to the X-18's and X-16's.

All of the reviews of the acer clubs that I have read online said that they are just as good or even better than the callaways - better distance, accuracy, feel etc.

Does anyone have any personal experience with non-name brands and how they compare to the name brands?

Is there anything specific that I should be careful of with the non-name brands?

Any ideas of where I could get a hold of the acer clubs to take them out for some swings?

Any advice would be appreciated......

Thanks.

I have hit KZG, Peerless, and Wishon just to name a few. I wouldn't say they are non-name brands but they aren't as well known as say Titleist. They play about the same as the popular brands. I've never had any experience with Acer but if they are "knock-offs" I would steer clear of them.

I agree, stay away from the knock offs. If its just not a wellknown company they should be fine. But you wont get the same performance from a knock off of the X-18's or X-16's as you would by actually getting the X-18's or X-16's, there is a reason that those clubs are expensive. Remember, you get what you pay for.

In the Bag:

Wilson Fat Boy Driver
Callaway Steelhead 3 & 5 Wood (Steel Shaft)
3 & 5-SW Callaway X-1452 degree WedgeAdams Golf 60 Degree WedgePing B60 PutterOther Optional Clubs:Callaway Steelhead 1 WoodCleveland 60 degree wedgeAdams Golf 56 Degree WedgesWilson Blackjack PutterBall: ...

Thanks for the advice. I guess my next question would be what qualifies a set of irons as knock off as opposed to a not known name brand? Is there anything specific to look for that would indicate low quality, or certain features of the club that makes them a better club?

Thanks again.......

Thanks for the advice. I guess my next question would be what qualifies a set of irons as knock off as opposed to a not known name brand? Is there anything specific to look for that would indicate low quality, or certain features of the club that makes them a better club?

IMHO it's not that black and white. If you're not too serious about the game, starting up or playing once a month - I don't see a reason going for the big names - most likely you won't feel and notice the difference. Once you really get into it there is no doubt - the quality assurance is much, much higher. The idea is, that if you hit the ball with the same swing - you'll get the same result. If you have not-so-good-equipment - a slight difference in the surface of the clubface, shaft quality etc - might cause a few yards difference.

It's hard to point out "what to look for". Definitely take it out to the range before buying - if it feels good and preforms well for you - go with it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...what qualifies a set of irons as knock off as opposed to a not known name brand? ...

Usually knockoff's look like the original (illegal trade name violation), but are made out of cheaper material and don't preform as well as the original (i.e. if a "real" driver has 0.83 COR the copy might have only 0.4 etc.). With the advancement of technology in China and Taiwan there are knockoffs on the market, that only an expert can identify. Bottom line is stay away from "shady" sellers, if someone offers you a brand new set of Callaway X-18's for $200 - it's trouble. Other category is clubs labeled as "Callawy" or "Tilor Made" etc. These are kind of legal, but hope to fool a buyer into thinking he/she is buying the real thing. I'd stay away from both.

Non-brand names don't try to imitate the big dogs, sometimes they use the same design elements, but they have clearly identified manufacturer and logo. You can find some real gems (not always cheap) sometimes, after all every company had to start somewhere - just look at sonartec as a most recent example of no-name becoming a big-name...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!