IGNORED

When to disregard or alter instruction

Note: This thread is 2828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Follow instruction?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you follow your instructors instruction with out question?

• Follow with out question
    • Adapt and alter to my needs
    • what is instruction?
    • I don't need no stinking lessons!!!!!

New swing worked well on the course. I hit 85% of my fairways. my ball flight leaked a little to the right, but that may have also had to do with aim.

However I lost 20 yards on every club, which caused an issue with club selection.

Now if I could only learn how to putt!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it would be interesting to see video of your "old" swing, and your "new" swing.

I would be willing to bet there is less difference than you think.

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

I think it would be interesting to see video of your "old" swing, and your "new" swing.

Bingo.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
On 7/28/2016 at 9:12 AM, 14ledo81 said:

I think you are right. I think the major difference between old and new is the take away, shoulder rotation and not over swinging in my back swing (in my old swing my club would go so far back it bounced off my left shoulder).

I have hesitated in posting my swing for the simple reason that I am enough of a "headcase" that 5 people commending on my swing will send me in all different directions.
Although I am considering, just for the fact that my kids want to learn how to record video's and post to Youtube, this could be a teaching moment.

Anyway I have come to the conclusion that changing the weight distribution to 60% right foot and keeping my head behind the ball is causing my to hurt my back through the swing. (see the 1st and 3rd starting from the left,  picture below).
I used to play my ball forward in my stance for diver and only slightly forward for everything else (except chips, which was forward). The Pro had me move everything back in stance and then my head is behind the ball.

I am finding when I swing through I am using my back and torso to swing and not my arms (old swing).
However I seem to be pulling up and arching my back after contact in order to hold the finish.

I am finding that if the Take the instruction of pointing my left shoulder above my right and start my swing with my left shoulder I am making decent contact with no shanks. Maybe this alone is keeping me swing on plane.
I am thinking if I take this bit of instruction and work with it by placing the ball center to where I used to play it, It can be serviceable.

In the meantime I will work on trying to post a swing!

instruction-2010-03-inar02_sean_foley.jpg

Edited by Elmer
correction

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 2828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!