IGNORED

Best Course in Alabama?

Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone golf in Alabama? I moved here a while back and have played the judge, oxford ridge, silver lakes and acc. Anyone have any recommendations?

Edited by hanlesc

I live in Tuscaloosa (a 40 year AL resident), and have played a good many AL courses.

East/Central - Farm Links in Sylacauga is a must play, though a tad expensive.  On the RTJ trail, I like both Opelika courses.  The Prattville ones are nice, too.  

West - Ol' Colony in Tuscaloosa is a great design, and reasonably priced, though overcrowded IMO.  The Tuscaloosa area needs another nice public course to thin things out.

In the Birmingham area, I really like Ballantrae (Pelham), and Timberline (Calera).  Bent Brook is a well kept public course, and spacious, allowing you to amp up on the driver in spots.  A little NE in Oneonta, Limestone Springs is a nice layout and fun to play, and a good value, too.  Ross Bridge (RTJ) is fun to play, but has a gigantic footprint, IMO.  Just a huge, huge course.  But super-well maintained (the super is my 1st cousin and does a great job there).  You can grip and rip most of the course.

Favorites of the bunch are Farm Links & Ballantrae.  Both are well maintained gems in beautiful, rolling country, and are as playable or challenging as you want them to be via tee selection.

I'm probably forgetting/omitting plenty of others I like.

BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I second Farmlinks, Ballantrae and Timberline. Sometimes Farmlinks puts on a special around holidays. Also Cider Ridge in Oxford is a nice affordable course. Favorite RTJ course is Opelika.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Yes I have been to Farmlinks and enjoyed it. Can't remember the hole where you go up the big hill (some might call it a mountain), but a lot of fun! Any courses up north that are any good? Say like near Huntsville?

I have played the RTJ courses in Muscle Shoals, They both were great. Haven't played the RTJ in Huntsville.

Don't get to play up that way much

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Strangely, I haven't played much in North AL.  Only course I've played north of Limestone Springs that I remember is Canebrake in Athens (near Huntsville), and that was ~2003.  It was a nice place, then, though it was a February round so most of the grasses were dormant.  Was in good winter shape, though, and had some nicely designed holes...a pretty place.  No idea on it since then.

I think the Farm Links hole with the big climb is #5 (?), a par 3 with a 100'+ drop from the back tee.  In fact, we like to play it from the back (even though we play up a box or 2 for the round).  Seems like it's around 227 yards, adjusted to ~165 for elevation change.  So it's a 6 or a 7 for me depending on pin and wind.  Ball stays in the air forever, it feels like.  A blast to play and a view that just makes you stand and stare a while.  Great place.  Biggest cottonmouth I've ever seen up close was on that course.

BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!