IGNORED

My Swing (JuiceMan)

JuiceMan
Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

This will be my first post at The Sand Trap forum and I was hoping for some pointers on my swing. Swinging a 6 iron for the first two strokes, driver for the last two. Noticed right away that my stance is a bit narrow with the driver so I will try to adjust that. I am also just starting some flexibility training to go along with strength training to increase my range of motion. I appreciate any comments and/or tips for what I should try and improve and/or think about!

Thanks,

Adam

I've been Playing Golf for: 11 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 6.8
My typical ball flight is: High fade with woods, high draw with irons
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice/push with woods

Videos: 

Edited by JuiceMan

First, Welcome to The Sand Trap!

I would be mindful of your grip. It looks like you have that right hand really underneath the club.

Also, the ball position is way too far back for that length of iron. Never play any normal full swing iron shot with the ball behind the middle of your stance. Typically with mid to long irons you want it between your lead foot and the middle of your stance. 

It's not a bad swing. You got a pretty solid spot at A4

A4.JPG

You also get stuck. Your right elbow is right on your shirt seem. Your club is way behind you. 

A6.JPG

This might be a thread you want to take a look at. I think if you get your hands down a tad faster and keep turn you will get from being stuck. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saevel25:

Thank you! I hear you on the grip and it is something that I will check up on. The thread you linked was great for that purpose! 

The reason to why I am getting "caught" with my left arm, could that also be a bi-product of standing to close to the ball?

As to the ball position, I think that could have been affected by the camera angle not being straight on me. I will try and get a better video of it today and compare the videos.

Thank you

P.S. What are you referring to when you say A4 for example? I am assuming it is referring to different swing positions but I wasn't sure.

1 hour ago, JuiceMan said:

The reason to why I am getting "caught" with my left arm, could that also be a bi-product of standing to close to the ball?

You are a tad close. I would say the ball is about a ball width too close. When you move the ball away don't adjust to that by bending over at the waist more. 

As to the ball position, I think that could have been affected by the camera angle not being straight on me. I will try and get a better video of it today and compare the videos.

Even still, the ball looks to be in the middle of your stance. That is not a good ball placement for a 6 iron. I would say it's two ball widths to far back.

P.S. What are you referring to when you say A4 for example? I am assuming it is referring to different swing positions but I wasn't sure.

Hover your mouse icon over the text A4 :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried to adjust my grip from reading the thread that Saevel25 linked to and it definitely felt as if my wrists were looser and I had a bit more of a "snap" to my club at impact. I believe that the altered grip allowed me to maintain my hands in front of the ball at impact more easily. I do not think I managed to keep my left arm from getting "caught" anymore than the last video but overall it felt better with the adjusted grip.

Something else I noticed after watching this clip is that I do not keep my right arm straight throughout the swing. It is something that I will try to adjust until next time and post a video of it. 

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I've started hitting a stride with the changes I have made shooting a 37 on the last 9 holes I played. Getting more comfortable with my grip but I still feel like I need to adjust my left hand a little bit. What do you guys think? I also need to stretch out my right arm on the downswing, does anyone have good tips on any drills for working on that?

Edited by JuiceMan

Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!