IGNORED

Is There Something Wrong with the Way We Learn Golf?

jc21539
Note: This thread is 5973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What?

Elaborate please. Seriously I want to know.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree wholeheartedly that strength and flexibility are definitely limiters of a person's ability to make a dynamic golf swing.

But just because our muscles are not used to certain movements does not mean our minds are not. And if our minds know what we want our muscles to do, it is like learning to ride a bike. We just keep on practicing until we do it.

The golf swing is just not that complicated. It's the closest thing to a circle that our bodies will allow us, although its never going to be perfectly "one plane" because our bodies are not built like the mechanical golfer. And basically, at the point of impact on that circle, the tangent to that point should be pointing down the target line. Now, that is just in theory, because in practice, we don't hit the ball with most of our clubs at the bottom of the swing arc. But the horizontal aspect of the tangent line should be pointing down the target line.

We do the same thing when we throw a ball, even overhand. We don't think about where exactly we are going to release it so that the tangent to the point on the arc that our hand travels on is pointing directly at our target. But we do it, because that's the only way to get it there. We are subconsciously aware of it, but we don't need to be consciously aware of it to learn how to do it successfully.

Same with driving a car. When we are going around a curve, we don't take each foot at a time, constantly adjusting the wheel to follow the center line. We look ahead towards the end of the curve, and our minds naturally figure out the required wheel turn to get there. We don't have to measure out on the wheel exactly how far in inches we need to turn it for this radius turn for however many yards. We figure it out by looking at our destination at the end of the curve, and from there it's just a matter of experience.

Here's another example: we all have the ability to draw a straight line. But the only way to do it successfully is to make a single motion, and to focus on where we want the pencil tip to end up. Go ahead and try it. If you try to slowly draw a straight line by focusing on each little movement of your hand, you will end up with a wavy, segmented attempt at a line. But if you do it in a single motion, focusing on the point at which you want the pencil tip to end up at, you will surprise yourself by making it go there without any thought at all.

When we scratch an itch on our skin, it is like a golf swing. Every time we move our fingers back in preparation for the next scratch, it is like we are making a backswing. We don't think about where our fingers need to be to set up the perfect approach into the itchy spot. We don't think about our transition technique going from the fingers back to the dive into the skin. All we are thinking about is the itchy spot, and how we want to dig our fingers into it. The way we coil back our fingers is just a reaction to how we want them to attack the itchy spot.

Certainly, if we are unable to physically wield a club, or wield a hammer, or use a shovel, or throw a ball, then there is no amount of technical knowledge that would ever allow us to actually produce the results we desire.

The undisputable fact is, however, that hitting things with sticks is not only natural - it is part of our evolutionary instinct. It is just as natural as anything else we do and has been an influential factor in our development as a species.

We as humans have been using spears for hunting and fishing for at least 400,000 years. Check out this article on archeology.org. If we weren't able to hit our targets with sticks, we would not be here today to debate one of the outlets of those very instincts, i.e. sports.

I'm not saying that the golf swing isn't something that has to be learned. What I am saying is that we are already pre-wired to learn the golf swing and other similar tasks involving eye-hand coordination and spacial judgement. We don't need drills to learn that. We need only to apply our natural learning ability to golf through experience and practice. There are literally thousands of golfers out there that are living proof that the golf swing does not need to be taught technically.

But, just like hunting with a spear as our ancient ancestors did, experience, intelligence, and physical ability will always be prime factors in our success.

By the way, I use the term we mainly because I don't want anyone to think I am talking to them specifically and be offended. Not to mention that for years, I was stuck on the technicalities of the golf swing, and I really didn't make any progress until I learned to change my mindset.

Golf Swing Instruction, Theory, Tips and more at SwingDynamics.Net - so check it out!

I'm starting to agree with some of these points. What I can't believe is that we already know how to swing a golf club without ever having seen someone else do it.

Seeing someone elso swing would plant a mental image in our heads and we would try to achieve this, yes? Surely this involves some sort of mechanical thoughts. We know we want to achieve position x (because him over there looked like that) so I do this and produce movement y. Or am I completley off the planet?
Whats in the bag:

Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Yeah just think about Golf Digest etc, every Month has a tip to Cure some part of your golf swing issues. They need these to sell more mags, they need more tips. Ever see there tips contradict each other some months. Too funny. I like Hogans 5 lessons, not very technical. Open the door and close the door. Have fun and get over all that tech crap. Paralysis by analysis BS

In no way am I implying that anyone should, or even could, be able to just pick up a golf swing and swing like Tiger. It takes a bit of time to develop the muscle coordination required to transport something as long and as heavy as a golf club in a precise enough way to hit good golf shots.

I am also not saying that anyone, given enough time, will learn to make a good swing on their own. I think that we would see more unique functional swings, but I don't know if it would work for everybody. I just think that the golf swing should be taught and learned in an athletic way. Instead of focusing on swing plane and club face, I would focus on things like setup and target line. I really do think that the majority of golfers completely underestimate the importance of focusing on the target.

I would say that my explanation of the swing path tangent line was more on the technical side than anything else, but it is a different approach than is often taken, and it helps to give someone the sense of purpose in their golf swing. I think that the overall purpose is often lost on people when the swing is broken down into segments.

And finally, I think there is WAY too much focus on the backswing. The backswing has essentially become the second swing. Same with the transition. None of it makes sense on its own. It all makes sense when you put everything together.

Technical, of course, is a subjective term. But when I think of technical, I think of the things we don't need to know. It is merely the in-depth observation and analysis of what good golfers are already, and have been, doing. Don't forget - first came man, then came golf, then came golf mechanics. Not the other way around.

It is definitely true about Golf Digest contradicting itself from month to month. I'm sure the fact that they use articles from many different teaching professionals doesn't help the matter, but they also don't really care about the content past the fact that people believe it and it keeps selling magazines. And of course, a lot of it is "technically" right. It's just "technically" useless to reader.

Golf Swing Instruction, Theory, Tips and more at SwingDynamics.Net - so check it out!

It is definitely true about Golf Digest contradicting itself from month to month. I'm sure the fact that they use articles from many different teaching professionals doesn't help the matter, but they also don't really care about the content past the fact that people believe it and it keeps selling magazines. And of course, a lot of it is "technically" right. It's just "technically" useless to reader.

couldn't agree more

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

What?

First off it may have sounded harsh, but it truely was all I needed to know. You already believe that the swing is complicated and difficult. You believe it is something "unnatural" for people to do. It is the attitude of defeat before you even begin.

If you ask those who play golf well if it's a simple sport, at least 98% will tell you it is. If you ask everyone who plays poorly they will tell you it's difficult. This is not just a coincidence, it's the attitude that holds them back from getting better. If you already know it's difficult, why persue it? So they don't. They may spend some money here and there on lessons and equipment, but they don't put in near the time and dedication it takes to make real improvement. But for those of us who think it's a simple game, we love every minute of our time in the course. Practicing is a joyous occasion. We have smiles all the time instead of the frowns you see with everyone else. Einstein once said the most important decision we have to make as humans is whether we live in a hostile universe or a friendly one. It's the same for golf. If you think it's hostile, difficult, and unnatural... then it will be for you.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

First off it may have sounded harsh, but it truely was all I needed to know. You already believe that the swing is complicated and difficult. You believe it is something "unnatural" for people to do. It is the attitude of defeat before you even begin.

But I

do enjoy every second of my time on the course, and if I frown its only because my face rests in that position! I practice it alot and enjoy it. I didn't mean it to sound like I said that the golf swing is an unnatural thing to do. What I should have said is that the physical movement of the swing isn't something natural, until you have grooved your swing, with enough pratcice, of the fundamental mechanics ,to not have to think about them when your doing it. That may be the case for better golfers, but for those of us newer to the game, it just isn't that easy. Believe me I'd love to go to the course and just not think of anything and shoot par, but it just doesn't work like that, for me anyway.
Whats in the bag:

I completely understand what you're saying geezer.

I'm not saying I go out and think about shooting par so therefor I do it, I have learned to stay very present in the moment. It takes 100000 times more mental discipline than physical discipline to play good golf.

There is an amazing book called "Extraordinary Golf" by Fred Shoemaker. I would suggest you buy it if at least for the first few chapters and his discussion about throwing clubs.

I'll give you a quick synopsis of the throwing clubs.

He will video tape someone swinging a golf club, then he will tape them throwing a golf club. He will then take the student to a room and show them their golf swing. As they're going through the golf swing he will ask, "So what would you like to change about this swing?". The student will come up with a long list of things that I'm sure every golfer could come up with for their own swings.

Then he shows them the video of them throwing the club underhanded. Low and behold, they are doing EXACTLY those things they said they wanted to do with their golf swing... but THEY'RE ALREADY DOING IT!

With absolutely no instruction other than to throw the club, they are swinging the club exactly how they said they wanted to.

The only possibility why this could be is a change in mental attitude. Something took place in that persons brain that said "I need to hit the ball" when the ball was there. When they removed the ball and just threw the club underhanded, the natural swing really came out.

This immediately brings to mind the famous quote by Michelangelo..
"In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it."

With your golf swing it is the same. You have a natural swing, you just have to chip away all the stuff that isn't your swing.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

I completely understand what you're saying geezer.

Count me quietned... for now

, I need to respect and consider the point of views of people with more experience (and ability) than myself. I'm going to the range now... might throw a few of my clubs too... Thanks for being patient.
Whats in the bag:

Not only can you go out and not think about anything but playing golf, but it's a heck of a lot more fun, and you will be surprised how much better your final score will be.

I'm not saying it will be par, atleast not instantly, but there are a lot of other factors that affect your score much more than your swing, and they are usually the most neglected. Maybe if you free your mind up from your swing, other parts of your game, such as course management and your short game, will start getting the attention they deserve.

I have had my butt handed to me on a silver platter by some of the worst looking swings I have ever seen. The funny thing is, no matter how ugly the swing is, producing a repetitive shot with enough distance for the courses you are playing is all that matters. Just look at Jim Thorpe. I can't imagine that his swing was ever "built" from the ground up. Maybe by Picasso.

Good luck on the range!

Count me quietned... for now

Don't worry about it. I am used to getting into bulldog fights over this stuff. Sometimes I even start it unintentionally. As long as you keep that happy attitude and apply it to your golf swing, you'll go much further than with a bad attitude (which you can see on so many driving-range-aholic faces).

This may sound too good to be true... But I played 18 today and was 3 over after 8. Final score 85 (+14) which is my third lowest round of the year! All I thought about was throwing the club down the line (...pretty much any way ).

Whats in the bag:

You can learn every tip or swing there is and take all the lessons you want but you have to do your homework. Example, take a lesson once a week and do nothing but show up the next week and take another lesson, then getting frustrated that you are not getting better, or blaming your Pro.

If you take what your Pro taught you to work on and actually worked on it and did your homework (hit balls)you would improve. A Lesson or swing tip needs to be ingrained into your body and it takes time. There is no instant fix. I look at it as a journey. My 2 cents.

Like Yogi used to say, "Golf is 90 percent mental, and 50 percent physical". I know a lot of guys who know how to hit a golf ball, but don't know how to play golf. Once you get past all the swing thoughts that clog you brain (when they have become second nature to you because you practiced), you can start to think about strategy, and that is the art of playing the game. In a world of instant gratification, golf still takes its own sweet time....

After three years, 150 lessons and obsessive practice I can't understand why my swing bottoms out at a totally different place every time. Makes it kind of impossible to hit a golf ball.

I'm at the course every day and go through the motions, but now it's solely for the exercise.

After three years, 150 lessons and obsessive practice I can't understand why my swing bottoms out at a totally different place every time. Makes it kind of impossible to hit a golf ball.

It sounds like you are the ideal pupil. You must have put that pro's kid through college.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It sounds like you are the ideal pupil. You must have put that pro's kid through college.

He took me to be wealthy enough to sponsor him on tour. He is probably good enough to have made it. I am living proof that he can't teach worth a ****.

Note: This thread is 5973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!