IGNORED

Golf Newb from Washington State

BigVig90
Note: This thread is 2748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everybody. I've been golfing for about a month now, and I've absolutely loved it. I scored a free set of clubs off a lady who was emptying out here ex-husbands storage unit. I took these clubs straight to the local driving range to see how far I could crush the ball. I've always enjoyed sports but I quickly discovered that none of my skills translated to golf, if anything, they made it harder. After hitting two full buckets of balls (200?) I was sweating my butt off and trying to catch my breath. I was terrible and couldn't understand why.  I had a tremendous amount of fun either way. Since then I have paid the range several visits and played 2 rounds of 9 holes and 1 full round of 18. My first two rounds of 9 I shot 67 strokes and 62 strokes. On my most recent trip of 18 holes, i shot 59 on the front 9 and 57 on the back 9. I can feel myself getting better but I certainly struggle a lot.

My putting and wedge game is awful. My worst clubs are definitely my loft wedge (60deg), sand wedge and pitching wedge. I've just discovered the usefulness of some of my irons, mainly the 4 iron. My favorite clubs are my fairway woods. They're a Callaway Big Bertha set. I hit my 3, 5, 7 and 9 woods all very comfortably and have had some of my absolute best shots with them. I have a love/hate relationship with my driver. At the range I can crush the ball dead straight over and over and over, all 200-250 yards fairly easy. I've even had several balls launch way past the 250 mark. As soon as I get onto the course it all changes. Off the tee my shots mostly go straight to slice city. There's probably only been 6 holes where I've drove the ball straight off the tee. My driver is a Taylormade R15 14deg. It'll adjust down to 12 or up to 16. I bought it off a local guy for like $100 since my set didn't come with one.

My best hole was a par on a par 3. I whacked it off the tee with a 4 iron and got one bounce off the rough which then landed about 8' off the tee. Of course I choked on the birdie putt. 

I'm 26 years old, 6'6" and roughly 260lbs right now. Summer time i'm normally down to 220lbs. I'm a patient fellow who is very technique oriented. Excited to learn and grow in this sport. I'm absolutely obsessed.

Welcome to TST! 

54 minutes ago, BigVig90 said:

Excited to learn and grow in this sport. I'm absolutely obsessed.

You've definitely come to the right place! I think you'll find a lot of fantastic resources here for learning and talking about golf.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Welcome to TST!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!