IGNORED

Newbie looking for direction

Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone. I’m relatively new to golf. I have only been playing for about 4 months. I try to play every weekend or at worst every other weekend. I have a golden bear starter set. With the golden bear wedges to go along with it. I’m would really like to upgrade to a nicer driver but there are so many options out there.

Can someone help me out with, or send me a link to where I can find out information on different degrees, shaft stiffness, and any other important information I should have before making a decision?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

what are you looking for in a new driver?

don't take this personally
i'm struggling with this, too
if you don't have a decent swing, the best driver in the world will not help you.

however, as you just started playing, you'll benefit more by spending that money on lessons than buying new clubs

distance will come when you have a more efficient swing
this means most of your power can be transfered to the ball

if you insist on buying a new one, get on a launch monitor (most golf stores have it) and try all the drivers you like and see which one you get the best result.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I would say I have a decent swing.... not great but good. I would say I have a consistent 225-250 middle of the fairway about 14-15 holes out of 18. but my buddy consistently out drives me with his Nike SQ by 15-20 yards.

I agree about the lessons... and that is in the works as well... Im just looking to slowly start building my bag.

Id go to the used rack at your local golf store and demo a bunch of the clubs there. Driver technology moves so fast now you can find a really good driver for cheap and have a lot of options to choose from.
Because you are just starting and judging by your distance id say that you are a regular flex. But check out your swing speed and if its in the 95+ range then you could move up to a stiff. For degrees the starter set you have probably has a higher loft driver. The higher the loft of the club the higher it goes and the easier it is to hit. Depening on how well you feel that you are swinging you can move the loft down and that could add a few yards to your drives.
Also id go to the driving range a little bit. Even though your not playing a golf course its still very helpful in building up your swing.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I would say I have a decent swing.... not great but good. I would say I have a consistent 225-250 middle of the fairway about 14-15 holes out of 18. but my buddy consistently out drives me with his Nike SQ by 15-20 yards.

Just started playing with consistent drives to 250? Demo'ing some drivers using a launch monitor would help determine the proper launch angle for your swing speed. Also your swing speed will help determine the shaft stiffness you need. Some golf clubs or golf stores will allow you to take a demo for a on the course test drive. I would do that before I dropped a couple of C notes on driver. Sounds like your Jack Nicklaus driver is doing just fine however.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

Man, I would LOVE to have that distance and accuracy! Put that driver somewhere very safe between rounds! It will be your best friend for years to come. Since you live in So Cal, you're near a Roger Dunn. I took possibly unfair advantage of their return policy on used clubs - 100% money back, in form of store credit, within 90 days, if not damaged - to sample a ton of drivers, 3-woods, and hybrids. I would've done it with putters too, but I found one I liked just fine right away. For the record: I have no affiliation with Roger Dunn and I don't benefit from them for suggesting people, but I do love the policy, so I talk it up whenever I can. And if you need suggestions on good irons or good lessons in So Cal, I can make suggestions depending on where you live.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, maybe I was being a little nice to my self, I do consistently hit 200+ peaking at about 250ish. and I do hit the fairway about 14-15 of the 18 holes... but its prolly not center fairway. my iorns... or wedges have been failing me lately though.

I am looking for a driver... but I'm not in a hugh rush. I apperciate the feedback from everyone.

So a few more questions. Will most stores have a launch monitor? What all does a launch monitor do? and I'm sure the prices on this can range but what do lessons cost(I'm in Long beach.)?

Also, I do like to read up on this stuff so does anyone know of a good link/s that has all the information about that type of stuff(degree, stiffness,etc..)?

i believe launch monitor measures your ball speed, ball back spin rpm, and launch angle
for every ball speed there's an optimal launch angle and back spin.
basically just find a driver that gives you the optimal numbers.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Okay, maybe I was being a little nice to my self, I do consistently hit 200+ peaking at about 250ish. and I do hit the fairway about 14-15 of the 18 holes... but its prolly not center fairway. my iorns... or wedges have been failing me lately though.

It's very rare that anything in the fairway is bad for any player until he's a low single-digit handicap. Many stores have a launch monitor. You hit balls, it measures how fast they spin, how far it would go, how far left/right, etc. You can hit different types of balls (to figure out a good ball) or different drivers to see which works best for you. Lessons vary in cost depending on the pro. Figure out which course you'd like to be your 'home' course: preferably one not too far from you, and with a good practice area (including chipping and putting areas! The range alone is not the practice area). Ask the pros in the area how much they charge for lessons. My strong suggestion is to take a long game lesson, practice it, and then a short game lesson, and practice it. Keep up practicing in both. You can get a good deal of improvement from two lessons. But ask the pro what sort of lessons he offers. Oh, and go PGA or LPGA Class A if possible. "Pro" might just mean he teaches for money; a designation from one of the professional organizations. Or observe a few lessons - don't try to do what he's teaching (it might not work for you; hopefully, he doesn't teach everyone the same thing). Pros typically set their own prices. golf.about.com has a pretty good FAQ section on equipment etc. As for irons and wedges, the issue might be your swing. Get your swing looked at before you worry whether it's the equipment or you. If it's the equipment, I can suggest a place that will sell you good irons and wedges that isn't too far from you, and I'm sure everyone else here will suggest their favorite irons and wedges too. But if the issue is your swing, you'll want to know that and not spend hundreds on new clubs. And if the issue is the clubs and not your swing, you want to know that so you use your good swing when trying out new clubs!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Thanks for that information. I will have to check out a shop and talk to some "pros"

Im sure my Irons/wedges failing is due to my swing and not my clubs. My irons should be good enough to last me till I can cut down my handicap. I have a problem staying down on my wedges on occasion esspicially my lob/loft(not sure if one name is right or wrong) I tend to strike through the middle of the ball with the bottom of the club instead of getting under it.

Im sure this is related to me pulling my head or it could be because I feel rushed. a lot of courses around here(I'm sure everywhere) over crowd the course and there is almost always a group waiting behind us.

But thanks again for the information. I am deffinetly going to check out that web site. and please, keep it comming.

Thanks for that information. I will have to check out a shop and talk to some "pros"

Don't be afraid to ask for recommendations. There are some great pros.

Im sure my Irons/wedges failing is due to my swing and not my clubs. My irons should be good enough to last me till I can cut down my handicap. I have a problem staying down on my wedges on occasion esspicially my lob/loft(not sure if one name is right or wrong) I tend to strike through the middle of the ball with the bottom of the club instead of getting under it.

I'm not a swing expert, but yes, your irons should be good enough to last you.

It's a lob wedge. What clubs do you have? Not just brand and set; what are the 14 you carry with you during a round? (consider putting this info in your .sig once your post count is high enough) The lob wedge is the bane of many amateurs. I use mine primarily for pitching and chipping, and not so much for full shots anymore.
Im sure this is related to me pulling my head or it could be because I feel rushed. a lot of courses around here(I'm sure everywhere) over crowd the course and there is almost always a group waiting behind us.

There's also a crowd right ahead of you. You'll play faster if you take your time on each swing. I know it's paradoxical, but then again so are so many things.

But thanks again for the information. I am deffinetly going to check out that web site. and please, keep it comming.

You're welcome. Keep up with the questions!

-- Michael | My swing! 

I'm not a swing expert, but yes, your irons should be good enough to last you. It's a lob wedge. What clubs do you have? Not just brand and set; what are the 14 you carry with you during a round? (consider putting this info in your .sig once your post count is high enough).

-Driver, 3wood, 5wood, 3-4 Hybrid 5-9irons, pw(54right?), 52, 56, 60 degree wedges, and my putter.

I dont usueally bring my 52(or 54 whatever isn't the pw) wedge. it just came with the set.
There's also a crowd right ahead of you. You'll play faster if you take your time on each swing. I know it's paradoxical, but then again so are so many things.

I know if I slow down and take my time, my shots should be better... meaning less strokes... faster game. Guess its a newb thing I need to get used to.

-Driver, 3wood, 5wood, 3-4 Hybrid 5-9irons, pw(54right?), 52, 56, 60 degree wedges, and my putter.

The PW is probably going to be between 46* and 48*, anything more then you probably have a pretty old set, but since this set is new then it probably 46*

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Your pitching wedge is probably 46-48 degrees. There are some varying overlaps in what constitutes other wedges, although these generally just get called by their degrees. FYI, in case you're curious:

[50, 54) is considered gap wedge. These were "pitching wedges" until about fifteen years ago, for reasons I won't get into here. [54,58) is typically sand wedge, although 58 can sometimes be a sand wedge. This has been the cause of debate in the past. [58,60] is lob wedge. Anything more than 60 degrees can be X-wedge or something weird. Another thought has occurred to me: do you know how far you hit each club? Not the career shot. If you hit each club from a decent lie in no wind, ten balls, what would your average be? See if you can figure this out once you have your swing figured out. Knowing those numbers will save you immensely. You should also figure out where your "reliable" miss is. For example, with my irons, if I miss, it's to the right. Accordingly, if the pin is on the left side of the green and I have the distance right, I don't hesitate to shoot for it: if I miss, I'm still on the green. If the pin is on the right, and there's trouble right of the green, I aim for the center. If I miss, but don't miss by too much more than my usual, I'm closer to the pin. If I hit it straight, I'm still putting.
I know if I slow down and take my time, my shots should be better... meaning less strokes... faster game. Guess its a newb thing I need to get used to.

I literally didn't get used to it until two days ago, many many months after I started golfing. I deliberately set up an 11:00 tee time on Sunday on an L.A. public course, and decided I was going to take my time on the course. My group (random threesome I was paired up with) seemed to play similarly and we never fell behind the group ahead of us. The only two tees we didn't have to wait on were the 15th and 18th. And I shot my lowest round ever. So I guess I'm pushing this idea now.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Another thought has occurred to me: do you know how far you hit each club? Not the career shot. If you hit each club from a decent lie in no wind, ten balls, what would your average be? See if you can figure this out once you have your swing figured out. Knowing those numbers will save you immensely.

I have a good idea how far I hit each of my Irons. and my pw(This one came with the set and has a P not a degree) for my other wedges... my 56 I use only in the bunker... and my 60 I use only when atempting to get some loft on the ball. (useually miss and hit a line drive

)

I have a good idea how far I hit each of my Irons. and my pw(This one came with the set and has a P not a degree) for my other wedges... my 56 I use only in the bunker... and my 60 I use only when atempting to get some loft on the ball. (useually miss and hit a line drive

Now for the big question: do you play them to those distances? A buddy of mine can hit his PW consistently 115 yards, but if he's 135 from the green, I'll see him pull the PW. He's hit his PW 135 yards -- once (maybe 2-3 times on the range, too). If he were to hit his 8-Iron in that circumstance, he'd hit the green. But instead, he tries to 'muscle' a PW and either hits it fat or off-line. BTW, how far he or I hit the PW shouldn't affect you. I know that seems obvious, but I know way too many people who try to match club-for-club their buddies. There's no distance you "should" hit each club; if there were, either Tiger Woods or Corey Pavin (who holds the PGA Tour record for low score through nine holes) would be hitting the wrong club all the time. As for getting loft on the ball, try this (on the range first!) : "open" your 56-degree a bit. That is, rotate it so it looks to you as if it's aiming right (or left, if you're left-handed). Grip it as if this is the natural place for it. Now give it your normal PW swing. See if that gets you the loft you want. You'll probably do better with that than trying the 60-degree for the time being. But: try this on the driving range before you try it on the course. My rule - and I got it from many others - is never to try a shot on the course that I haven't done a few times on the driving range. As for what percent of the time you could do the shot on the driving range (out of attempts for the shot), that varies, and is based on a personal comfort level. I realize that the conversation the past day or so on this thread may be a lot to integrate at once. Think it over, give it a try when Long Beach is dry on the range, and I bet the next time you get to the course, you'll play better. Or, at the very least, you'll hit some great shots. And that's really what's going to happen in the next few months -- each time you go to the course, you're going to have a handful of good shots and some bad ones. But Walter Hagen said he had 7 bad shots per round, so allow yourself those bad shots when they happen. The quantity of good shots will increase as time goes on. I can reliably count on hitting a great shot every three holes when I play. It's a great feeling. There was a time when it took me a large bucket at the range to find a good shot or two. Then it took me 18 holes. Then 12. Then nine. Finally, don't be afraid to go against my advice. I won't be offended if you decide to keep trying your 60-degree wedge, for example. Golf is about comfort level, and if you're comfortable working with that until you're good with it, that's your business. I'd suggest against it, but I sure spent a great deal of time working on my 58-degree even before I broke 100. (Gee, can you tell I love talking about beginning at golf?)

-- Michael | My swing! 

Now for the big question: do you play them to those distances? A buddy of mine can hit his PW consistently 115 yards, but if he's 135 from the green, I'll see him pull the PW. He's hit his PW 135 yards -- once (maybe 2-3 times on the range, too). If he were to hit his 8-Iron in that circumstance, he'd hit the green. But instead, he tries to 'muscle' a PW and either hits it fat or off-line.

I try to play to my club distances as well as taking into account increase or decrease in elavation and wind.

BTW, how far he or I hit the PW shouldn't affect you. I know that seems obvious, but I know way too many people who try to match club-for-club their buddies. There's no distance you "should" hit each club; if there were, either Tiger Woods or Corey Pavin (who holds the PGA Tour record for low score through nine holes) would be hitting the wrong club all the time.

I learned this early because I tend to hit futher than my golfing buddy who has been playing longer and has a lower handicap than I do(So I also know its not just about how far, but how accurate.) He says its because Im "bigger"(more muscular) than him. which I'm sure plays a role, but I'm sure my baseball experience (rotation, swing speed)(and I do know there are MANY differences in golf/baseball swings) doesn't hurt either

Finally, don't be afraid to go against my advice. I won't be offended if you decide to keep trying your 60-degree wedge, for example. Golf is about comfort level, and if you're comfortable working with that until you're good with it, that's your business. I'd suggest against it, but I sure spent a great deal of time working on my 58-degree even before I broke 100.

Don't worry, I'm not... hahaha... but it doesn't hurt to try something new and see if it works for me.

(Gee, can you tell I love talking about beginning at golf?)

Yes, and I apperciate the time you have spent responoding to my questions. Who knows. maybe one day we'll end up playing together.

Thanks again, and thanks to the others who have responded as well!!

Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!