IGNORED

Srixon 565 Irons / Clicking sound question.

Note: This thread is 2658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is anyone playing these?I recently bought these new and fitted for my swing. I went to pick them up yesterday. 

I played Mizunos MX23 for about 7yrs. They were my first good set of clubs. I recently felt it was time to upgrade in technology and try to get more distance.. I  l always loved the feel of the Mizunos but I wanted to play a different brand for a change. 

I tried a lot of brands and I never really cared for cast irons since I started playing Mizunos forged irons.

I found the looks and the feel of the Srixon 565 were very close to my old Mizunos. The clubs don't have as much offset as my old Mizunos thus I am missing the ball left with longer irons (I'm lefty). Not an issue, I know it is the Indian and not the arrow and I can work with that.

I'll post my view on these irons when I spend more time with them, but I can tell you so far I like the feel, the distance, the forgiveness and the looks. BUT, the CLICK sound at impact seems to be a little more pronounce with the longer irons and is catching my attention and border line distracting me. This is with range balls. I am hoping that with the proper softer golf ball, the sounds drops. But if it doesn't, is it possible to mute them somehow without adding weigh or altering the looks all that much?

I just learned that these irons are not fully Forged as I believed they were..I read that the head of the irons are forged but the face is cast. This explains the sound. I hit the face of the club lightly with my wedding ring and the sound is way different than the rest of the head.  I feel like a dumb ass for missing this piece of info before buying. When I hit them during the fitting session, they did not sound that loud, but I only hit 6 iron.  

It is probably not a reason to be dissatisfy, but I am concern that the sound might bother me. 

Do you play them?

My 4-iron is the Z565 and I've not had any issue with it sounding "clicky" off the face.  Honestly, I've not noticed that much of a difference between it and my 765 or 965 irons further down the set.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

• 2 weeks later...

I traded my TM 300 forged  off & got beautiful looking srixon  508s forged CBS thinking  they'd  be at  least   forgiving  as my TMs. 9 (LOOK ED LIKE Scratch CB  Irons )Had them bent to spec.

1.  I noted really clicky sound  on impact  

2.  Sweet  spot  very small  

3.  Required steeper attack angle 

4.  Too much club for  me  

5.  Step less REG FLEX  Rifle shaft wasn't  like DG feel, at all, also not  for  me  

6.  Sold them  

7.  Now have  sweet  feeling  Mizzy mp57s which I  only play  occasionally because  I  only  play  maybe  2x a month  now  & can't  grove  a good  swing  with  so little  play

8.  Game SGI  WilsonDeepRedII with  graphite  fat shaft  until  I  can  play  more  also 71 yrs  old  so they  give  a club  more  distance, especially  not  catching  sweet  spot  consistently  

19 minutes ago, Index95 said:

I traded my TM 300 forged  off & got beautiful looking srixon  508s forged CBS thinking  they'd  be at  least   forgiving  as my TMs. 9 (LOOK ED LIKE Scratch CB  Irons )Had them bent to spec.

1.  I noted really clicky sound  on impact  

2.  Sweet  spot  very small  

3.  Required steeper attack angle 

4.  Too much club for  me  

5.  Step less REG FLEX  Rifle shaft wasn't  like DG feel, at all, also not  for  me  

6.  Sold them  

7.  Now have  sweet  feeling  Mizzy mp57s which I  only play  occasionally because  I  only  play  maybe  2x a month  now  & can't  grove  a good  swing  with  so little  play

8.  Game SGI  WilsonDeepRedII with  graphite  fat shaft  until  I  can  play  more  also 71 yrs  old  so they  give  a club  more  distance, especially  not  catching  sweet  spot  consistently 

9.  Learned to use the space bar  :-P

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, Hategolf said:

But if it doesn't, is it possible to mute them somehow without adding weigh or altering the looks all that much?

In a word...no.  I've heard a lot of (very good) players talk about their clubs, and their preferences, and what drew them to a club, and sound is often a key consideration.  If you don't like the way a club sounds, it's going to have an impact on your subjective impression of playing with it.  Stinks that you didn't realize this before your purchase, but I think it's going to be one of those things that will either fade very quickly, or will bother you forever...

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the feedback .

Here is an update on these clubs;

The more I hit them, the more I noticed that how you swing, has a lot to do on how they sound. Sometimes when I hit them a little high on the face the sound is more pronounce. The better I swing the more mute the sound is. That is the good news. But because they have a a larger face it seems that hitting them in the sweet spot to get the nice sound,  takes more effort. Meaning the larger face although more forgiving in miss hits, is not more forgiving in how they sound.

I also noticed that practicing in different ranges that carry different balls makes the club sound different.

My plan is to play a couple of rounds with a soft ball and see how they play over all. It is only fair I play with them a few rounds before I consider exchanging them. I also really like how the shots seem to float nicely...it is actually a new thing for me and is fun to watch that kind of ball flight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update and a final comment of the Srixon Z565 irons I recently bought. After many balls, many swings and a few rounds I learned the following about these irons:

Only if you hit the small sweet spot you get the mute nice sound and feeling. Hit them a little off center and you still get a good shot but a loud click sound. I supposed any club you miss hit sounds weird as it should. 

They are very forgiving and a little longer.

They go thru the turf nicely, so if you have a tendency to hit them a little fat these clubs do help.

They look pretty good. 

Overall a very nice set of irons in the game improvement category but I returned them and exchanged them for the Mizuno JPX 900 Forged. The shop I buy my equipment from has a 3 months play-ability guarantee so exchange was not an issue, and they were just $150 more with a gap W. The Srixons were 4 to P. 

I just could not get away from the Mizuno feel and sound. It is bad enough to make a poor swing and get a poor shot, I do not need an alarming sound from the irons to tell me I suck. That would be one more thing to put me in a bad mood after a bad shot.

Same conclusion as I reached with 508s

I bought used MP57s for cheap though and love feel and look 

They need more playing/practice than I can spare however in order to strike consistently well, so my super game improvement clubs, are in my bag for now 

Note: This thread is 2658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!