IGNORED

tour edge hot launch 2 senior driver

Note: This thread is 2633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I looked for reviews on the Tour Edge Drivers, There were a few posts on some older models, but I was looking for something on the 2017 Hot Launch 2 for seniors. At a 14 deg loft, it seems to me to be more like a 2W, but OTOH, with the 460cc head sizes, recent offerings seem to be higher lofts than in previous era.  In addition to the higher loft, these come with a choice of UST A-Flex or a lighter, supposedly upgraded shaft for $40 more.  The past reviews on Hot Launch (not senior) are mixed. Some complain of heads flying off, others state excessive draw bias.  Is it too soon for recent reviews?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/3/2017 at 9:39 PM, Hacker James said:

I looked for reviews on the Tour Edge Drivers, There were a few posts on some older models, but I was looking for something on the 2017 Hot Launch 2 for seniors. At a 14 deg loft, it seems to me to be more like a 2W, but OTOH, with the 460cc head sizes, recent offerings seem to be higher lofts than in previous era.  In addition to the higher loft, these come with a choice of UST A-Flex or a lighter, supposedly upgraded shaft for $40 more.  The past reviews on Hot Launch (not senior) are mixed. Some complain of heads flying off, others state excessive draw bias.  Is it too soon for recent reviews?

I haven't tested Hot Launch 2 but I've heard the Draw bias is noticeable. I agree it is too soon for reviews. The line just came out in September. 

Tour Edge charges a lot for shaft upgrades. It is worth it though. But it would take 4 weeks to get the Driver (3 weeks for TE to get the shaft, any shaft upgrades are special ordered). 

I only know this because it took a month to get my EXi irons last year. I'm picking up another set of EXi's when I get my taxes back with the stock Recoil 680 F5 shaft because I like the feel of it.

I digress... Most reviews have been mixed on Hot Launch 2 as a line. I play Exotics exclusively (every club in my bag) so I don't know about Hot Launch 2. 

I have heard that Hot Launch had some issues with the bonded offset model... The adjustable model was great...

I personally would test it before putting it in the bag. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

@onthehunt526 Yes, it's always "sumptin" making choices tedious. The Cobra seems a better deal and has many of the same features but lower loft. I am not sure a 14 deg would benefit me anyway. I can always hit my 4W  which seems to be serving me well. I am pretty sure that with either of these, the offset will help. I do not have a severe slice, but often find myself further right than I wish to be.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Sounds like a good possible option for my 80 year old dad.  He really needs the loft and lighter shaft....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

the only complaints I have read on this club or its predecessor is about heads coming loose on the bonded models. Not so with the adjustable version. I think the shaft weight is 55g but could be 58, not sure. 14 deg loft seems a bit extreme, but have not hit one, so I really cannot say.

"James"

small point. The Tour Edge Hot Launch 2 advertised on Revolution Golf as a 14* with Senior flex is not accurate.  According to Tour Edge, they do not come in a 14* but it is a 13.5*. The one I will be getting is 13.5* with Regular Flex.

"James"

(edited)

I do not know if any are following this or not.

Anyway, I received the driver today, but since we are in the middle of a heavy storm, most courses flooded out, and backyard is under a few inches of water, all I can say is about the optics.

460cc  with 1/2 inch of offset. Loft is designated as "HL" which, according the web page is 13.5 degrees. The shaft is a 55R made by UST Mamiya. Graphics are grey/Blue on Black with a touch of yellow highlights. Length is 43 inches. Brightly polished sole. Feel very light, but balance is good. Grip looks like golf pride tour velvet, but not sure as it made for Tour Edge. Comes with nice head cover manmade leather/nylon stretch material. Playability unknown at this time.

Good value for what it is.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

(edited)

OK, back yard drained pretty well, a little break in the weather.

Play - first impressions. Best hits with a little draw obtained with a bit open stance and slightly open club face. I can easily see how your draw could turn into a hook if you are not careful, but that is to be expected given this club is primarily designed for those fighting a slice. Obviously, if one could fix the swing flaw to begin with, it would not be necessary. I still do not call it a band aid, just makes it a little easier to put a good contact and hit on the ball. The sound is a little "tinny" but probably no more so than other modern, thin walled, drivers such as Ping. Also, I am not that used to the larger clubs of today, preferring 340cc and smaller and older drivers with more of a solid sound. Still, not a "bad" sound per sei, just takes getting used to it.  I will know more when I get to the course and see the ball flight.

"Thas all folks"

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

final report.

Took club out to course today (arrowood). This club pretty much performs as advertised. A little help for those who tend to fade/slice. A little more loft. Most shots were either straight or slight pulls. You need to be careful on alignment or you may go too far to the left (righty). Aim down right side of fairway and generally end up near the middle. Distance improvement marginal, but with work should get better. It can be hit off the fairway, but do not expect it to get much height, mine were line drives a few feet above the ground, YMMV.   Next up, Tip trimmed Orlimar tri metal Hip Ti.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

• 2 weeks later...

I lied..not final report.

I am starting to really like this club and I can hit it off the deck fairly well given it has a 13.5 degree loft.  I have ordered a fairway wood that is Tour edge, but it is in the Exotics line (used).

"James"

Note: This thread is 2633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!