IGNORED

Putting, Forward Press

kevin262
Note: This thread is 2600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

35 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Pretty sure coming down. But that's not the point. The point is 'forward press' benefit is not universal. For example, putting up in stance may help but then I may get 'too behind' the ball to hit up. Who knows what other 'tendencies' come in play that start affecting. Yeah you can certainly adapt to anything if you want to over time. I would rather get a putter fit to my existing stroke (I am planning to do so this summer) and ball positioning. It's easier and my time would be better spent learning to hit up on a driver instead. But then that's just me.. :-) 

I hear you. I prefer the "whatever works" approach, versus the "there is one, and only one, proper and righeous technique" approach. Some people like a forward press, some don't. Some people like a blade, some like a mallet, etc.

Sometimes all these tips and tricks and opinions and contadictory techniques get in your head, and your game turns into an incoherent, self-conscious mess. You can't do a complete retooling of your swing/putt everytime you read some random tip.

But for me, that forward press, with the ball up towards the left foot -- such a smooth roll.

Good luck with the putter fitting, let us know how it goes!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

To a point. Any more than a few inches forward of center is too much, typically.

What are your thoughts about "rocking the shoulders?" Is it best to keep the arms and hands as one fixed unit, and move the putter by rocking the shoulders only? Is it ok to cup and uncup the right wrist during the stroke?

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, kevin262 said:

I hear you. I prefer the "whatever works" approach, versus the "there is one, and only one, proper and righeous technique" approach. Some people like a forward press, some don't. Some people like a blade, some like a mallet, etc.

I don't really care about a forward press. Some students do, others don't. I care about how you deliver the putter at impact.

Sometimes all these tips and tricks and opinions and contadictory techniques get in your head, and your game turns into an incoherent, self-conscious mess. You can't do a complete retooling of your swing/putt everytime you read some random tip.

I'm only discussing what actually happens. The actual numbers. My students aren't confused and turned into self-conscious messes. What people do online, I can't really help. I can just put out the best information I have.

But for me, that forward press, with the ball up towards the left foot -- such a smooth roll.

Thing is you don't really necessarily know what your numbers are. Maybe you're comfortable with it, but it could be a lot better. Maybe it's perfect?

What are your thoughts about "rocking the shoulders?" Is it best to keep the arms and hands as one fixed unit, and move the putter by rocking the shoulders only? Is it ok to cup and uncup the right wrist during the stroke?

Not really the topic here… Sorry.

Lots of other topics here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
On 18/01/2017 at 1:21 PM, kevin262 said:

I don't play pool, but the pool instruction sites show that a basic follow shot (shot with top spin) is created by hitting the ball slightly above the equator (but not too high up). Assuming that the outside rail of the pool table is taller than the equator of a cue ball, you can only hit the ball with a decending angle -- which, granted, could be very shallow.

So if you putt a golf ball with a slightly delofted putter face (say, -3°), and the contact is one dimple or so above the equator, it would roll nicely, with top spin. 

That said, I'm sure if you keep delofting more and more you'd eventually reach a point where the ball would get trapped between the putter face and the grass, and skid or get dragged forward. 

Learn from the greatest exponent of Topspin ever.This Website is a tribute to the golfer who had the greatest impact on the US Golf Tour ever.
The only way they could stop him from affecting their income was to ban him from competing.
 He won 74 tournaments on 4 continents including 4 Majors.
He is regarded as the greatest Putter ever but his technique was never emulated or copied.
 On the 30th anniversary of his passing this Website salutes a great Golfer, Veteran Serviceman and Human being.

Please visit http://www.bobbylocke.org

vlcsnap-2017-01-20-16h07m58s581.png

• Administrator

Bobby Locke putted on very different greens than what we see on courses today, too.

And the official statement is that he was banned for committing to many events but then no-showing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!