IGNORED

My Swing (Psychonana)

Psychonana
Note: This thread is 2790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, JDP said:

The earlier you get disconnected the more compensations your making up later and more compensations to get in sync is well just harder to do. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this 1.

You can't just say "oh, you're off here really early on, and that's just going to escalate and cascade the longer you swing." Often that happens. I don't think it's happening here. His hips and torso regain their synchronization pretty well around the top, when both stop moving for the most part, and from there I think his biggest issue(s) are more evident.

I even wrote a post about how sometimes the root cause is really early in the swing:

That may be the root cause of something, but fixing it isn't the priority right now, IMO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't just say "oh, you're off here really early on, and that's just going to escalate and cascade the longer you swing." Often that happens. I don't think it's happening here. His hips and torso regain their synchronization pretty well around the top, when both stop moving for the most part, and from there I think his biggest issue(s) are more evident.

I even wrote a post about how sometimes the root cause is really early in the swing:

That may be the root cause of something, but fixing it isn't the priority right now, IMO.

When there is a disconnect early on in the swing it doesn't just escalate into needing more compensations later in the swing often but almost all the time and I think it is happening here. He is a good player and i think has a great swing and the best part is his right elbow move in transition. With Phsyco's great elbow action he can do a lot of things and still make solid contact. I think if he got his takeaway a bit better that would keep his right elbow in a better position at the top and he would be able to swing more from the inside. Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, JDP said:

I didn't say it very clear or well, Should have said more in sync hip rotation especially in the takeaway. To me it seems he is using too much arms in the takeaway and left arm gets to far across his chest, right elbow already stuck behind. He has to make the Steep move in transition to get unstuck, which he does fantastically.  

Daly.png

Thanks for the feedback, interesting what JDP says about the hip sync. It's only now, when you say it, that I noticed that mechanic in my swing. I do feel this would take serious work to implement a change on this aspect - (maybe more work and hardship than I want to take on right now :) ) As @iacas says right now I think I have other more obvious things to worry about. I did try out the stick drill you suggested with some good results but all with a lot more draw than I'm comfortable with and with some horrific hooks as well. Trying to correct this resulted in strong pushed shots - I find it difficult to keep path straight at point of impact with the drill. Wasn't able to get a video this time but I'll post one as soon as I can - I'd be interested to hear if you can see positive changes. 

Edited by Psychonana

Hey Psycho, makes me laugh addressing you as psycho :beer:

The what you call a funky move at the top with the right shoulder is too get your arms/shoulders on a steeper plane, which is good since they were too flat before you do that move.  I think IMHO if you tweak the takewaway a bit it may help. There a several different feelings you could try to get the shoulders working on a better plane. Get the left shoulder moving lower in the takeaway is 1. Have the feeling that your right elbow is rotating internally vs. external is another. Pretty painless to try those things and even better is it shouldn't throw your tempo or rhythm off much if at all. Get the shoulders working on a better plane should help. I hope whatever you work on you see improvement, thats the bottom line.

Your swing at the moment looks way better than a 4 capper. I would have guessed just by the swing you are a +1 or 2 if you have a decent short game. What is your avg. score these days?

4 hours ago, JDP said:

Hey Psycho, makes me laugh addressing you as psycho :beer:

The what you call a funky move at the top with the right shoulder is too get your arms/shoulders on a steeper plane, which is good since they were too flat before you do that move.  I think IMHO if you tweak the takewaway a bit it may help. There a several different feelings you could try to get the shoulders working on a better plane. Get the left shoulder moving lower in the takeaway is 1. Have the feeling that your right elbow is rotating internally vs. external is another. Pretty painless to try those things and even better is it shouldn't throw your tempo or rhythm off much if at all. Get the shoulders working on a better plane should help. I hope whatever you work on you see improvement, thats the bottom line.

Your swing at the moment looks way better than a 4 capper. I would have guessed just by the swing you are a +1 or 2 if you have a decent short game. What is your avg. score these days?

Ok, ok in honour of the funky move I'll give it a try and report back with video. :)

Re handicap, you are too kind! But I wish I was at that level. For that I have a lot more work to do! I'm averaging high 70s these past few months. Bit more than than before Christmas. 

25 minutes ago, Psychonana said:

Ok, ok in honour of the funky move I'll give it a try and report back with video. :)

Re handicap, you are too kind! But I wish I was at that level. For that I have a lot more work to do! I'm averaging high 70s these past few months. Bit more than than before Christmas. 

:dance:for funky moves. Your right elbow move is really great though. I posted my swing also but unfortunately no advice so that is means my swing is amazing :banana: which well ii dont think it is or my video quality stinks or something else. Please do me a favor and take a look and if you see anything egregious let me know or any advice please. Biggest thing i dislike in my swing is 2 things, 1st, head moving off ball too much in BS for my liking and 2nd, poor extension thru impact. 

I think getting things more balanced at address would help with what @iacas is suggesting. To me it looks like you're "on your toes" address and that is going to make you more prone to the "over the top" move on the downswing since your weight is already favoring that direction.

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 8.50.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-11 at 8.51.32 PM.png

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, I had a little time on the range yesterday and I tinkered with two things that you guys brought up... @iacas's stick drill to help correct DS plane and @JDP 's idea on arms takeaway.  I have to say I appear to have gotten some positive results from combining both. I'd like to finesse it a little more before I post a video. On my takeaway, I found that if I keep my hands a little closer to my body, I have a more upright back swing which minimizes that funky shift in plane I have at the top of my swing, and the downswing is coming in comfortably under the stick and much closer to the same plane as the backswing, which I love. And whatever was happening with my hands before, which was producing more draw than I was comfortable with, appears to have cancelled itself out. The draw is in a far better place now - much more in the category of high-draw than hookey-draw. Ball flight also has the height I am looking for. All good.

On 2/11/2017 at 11:35 PM, JDP said:

I posted my swing also but unfortunately no advice so that is means my swing is amazing :banana: which well ii dont think it is or my video quality stinks or something else. Please do me a favor and take a look and if you see anything egregious let me know or any advice please. Biggest thing i dislike in my swing is 2 things, 1st, head moving off ball too much in BS for my liking and 2nd, poor extension thru impact. 

JDP... flattered you think I can help you with comments on your swing. I'm afraid I'm not close to being qualified beyond the very basics. I'd probably point you in a very wrong direction if I tried. You'd get real feedback from @iacas and others who work as coaches and trainers. Your swing looks pretty solid it me. Your poor extension probably could be fixed by doing some advanced yoga classes! :-D

Note: This thread is 2790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!