IGNORED

Re-gripping advise needed - rib alignment?

Note: This thread is 5970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just ordered a Golf Pride grip kit (New Decade™ MultiCompound - ribbed version) and was wondering if there's any tricks for getting the rib aligned correctly with the club head. Everything I've read doesn’t say a whole lot about this step. My hope is to bring a bit more consistency with the mid irons, where I seem to miss left or right. Any advice is appreciated!

Burner 9.5
Titleist 909F2 15.5
Titleist 909H 21
Callaway X20 4-AW
Vokey 56.10 60.04(SM)Odyssey TriForce 1

The way I have been doing it for years is eye balling it while the tape is still workable. I hold the club from the club end and eye ball, then move it with my hand a small portion of the grip at a time then eye ball it again. Make sure the butt part of the grip is fully seated on top of the shaft as it has a tendency to work its way back. Also, don't over stretch the grip down the shaft putting it on as this will lessen the diameter of the grip. You also can use a grip board from Golfsmith which holds your iron in place which allows you to start the grip on fairly close to your final fit. Good luck.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

Largely concur with Gapwedge.

Remove the outer layer of tape before you clamp the shaft in your vise. Make sure it's square - I've found the club rotates a little bit in the one-piece rubber shaft clamps commonly sold as you tighten the vise, so double check it.

I recommend using LOTS of solvent and a "catch pan" (a paint pan makes a fine 'homemade' catch pan) - there's nothing worse than having the grip stop sliding about 1/2 way on (you have to pull like heck to get the grip off before it sets there - that or you cut the grip off).

With Golf Pride grips you'll have at least one "checkpoint" for getting your grip on straight - on top of the grip, there will be two small alignment 'notches', one at the top and one at the bottom that point down (or up) the length of the grip. You line them up & then check up & down the grip for any twisting & you'll be set.

Some Golf Pride grips give you another "checkpoint" - a 'separation line' in the grip pattern that'll be in the 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock positions from the top & bottom notches. If you have that type, then you line up the top & bottom notches & use the separation line as your check for 'untwisting' everything in between.

All this said, there is an easier solution - use round grips.

Tiger does. ;)

Note: This thread is 5970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!