IGNORED

John Rahm

smfoley
Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you all feel that Rahm should have been penalized for either the ballmarking issue at the Scottish Open or the twig snapping issue at The Open? 

Shawn Foley

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, smfoley said:

ballmarking issue at the Scottish Open

This topic has already been created here,

10 hours ago, smfoley said:

the twig snapping issue at The Open? 

If what Rahm says is correct, "It would not have affected my swing unless I hit a 50-yard slice", then there is no penalty.

13-2. Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

• the position or lie of his ball,
  • the area of his intended stance or swing,
  • his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole, or
  • the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,

The key word is intended. Which means what the golfer thinks the swing path is, not necessarily what it turns out to be. A golfer could think his swing path will be away from the twig, but it might actually come closer than he thinks when he actually swings.

A golfer could walk close to his intended putting line, but he could actually mishit a putt such that the ball rolled over the area where he did walk. He is not violating 16-1. The line of the putt is the line the golfer wishes the ball to go, not where it necessarily will go.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This topic has already been created here,

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

If what Rahm says is correct, "It would not have affected my swing unless I hit a 50-yard slice", then there is no penalty.

The key word is intended. Which means what the golfer thinks the swing path is, not necessarily what it turns out to be. A golfer could think his swing path will be away from the twig, but it might actually come closer than he thinks when he actually swings.

A golfer could walk close to his intended putting line, but he could actually mishit a putt such that the ball rolled over the area where he did walk. He is not violating 16-1. The line of the putt is the line the golfer wishes the ball to go, not where it necessarily will go.

But was it actually unintentional both of these situations or is he just becoming a really good liar

Shawn Foley

10 minutes ago, smfoley said:

But was it actually unintentional both of these situations or is he just becoming a really good liar

Well, I rather take his word for it. Unless there is conclusive evidence, like video showing that his swing path actually did travel where that vine branch was, then you can not assume he is lying.

It doesn't matter if a twig breaks or not. As long as you do not do the following there is no penalty.

13-2. Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

• the position or lie of his ball,
  • the area of his intended stance or swing,
  • his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole, or
  • the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!