IGNORED

Ball hitting equipment rule

Happs
Note: This thread is 2440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I have a question about ball hitting a cart during my round today. I  pulled my second shot into a green pretty severly left. It ended up hitting the roof of a 'snack hut' type building where they sell refreshments. It bounced of the building and came to rest in a cart that was parked next to the building. The cart was not a cart being used by a golfer but rather it was making a delivery of food, etc. to the snack hut.

Since the golf cart was not being used by a golfer and was a delivery vehicle, does that still count as hitting equipment and a penalty. What should've been the outcome. I took a drop no closer to the hole and a 1 stroke penalty because if it would've been the cart of a golfer, it's pretty clear it's a violation of hitting equipment with the ball. But I was thinking since it was a delivery cart, could it count as an immovable obstruction and free relief.

Thanks for any answers provided.

-Happs

29 minutes ago, Happs said:

It bounced of the building and came to rest in a cart that was parked next to the building. The cart was not a cart being used by a golfer but rather it was making a delivery of food, etc. to the snack hut.

Since the golf cart was not being used by a golfer and was a delivery vehicle, does that still count as hitting equipment and a penalty?

No - a delivery cart does not count as equipment.  You can treat it as a movable obstruction per Rule 24/1 (move the cart and drop the ball directly below the point where it came to rest).

Only the golf cart used by the actual player (or shared by the player and another player, per Decision 19/1) counts as equipment for the purpose of the penalty under 19/2.

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Happs said:

Hi All,

I have a question about ball hitting a cart during my round today. I  pulled my second shot into a green pretty severly left. It ended up hitting the roof of a 'snack hut' type building where they sell refreshments. It bounced of the building and came to rest in a cart that was parked next to the building. The cart was not a cart being used by a golfer but rather it was making a delivery of food, etc. to the snack hut.

Since the golf cart was not being used by a golfer and was a delivery vehicle, does that still count as hitting equipment and a penalty. What should've been the outcome. I took a drop no closer to the hole and a 1 stroke penalty because if it would've been the cart of a golfer, it's pretty clear it's a violation of hitting equipment with the ball. But I was thinking since it was a delivery cart, could it count as an immovable obstruction and free relief.

Thanks for any answers provided.

-Happs

The cart was an obstruction.  Whether moveable or immovable depends on if you could reasonably move it.  

-  If movable, you would lift your ball, move the cart, and drop your ball as close as possible  to the spot directly beneath where it had come to rest in the cart.

-  If immovable, you lift and drop within one club length of the nearest point of relief.

In either case, there is no penalty.  Rules 24-1 and 24-2 apply.

FYI, there is no penalty for hitting "equipment" other than your own, or that of your partner.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!