IGNORED

Ping g20 irons

Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I posted that I had bought some Ping g20 irons with the ping shaft in regular flex. I just cannot hit them.  I just sky the ball and they feel heavy.  I weighed them on my scales  (just static weight) and they are heavier than the clubs ( Cobra Fly Z) than I have been playing with.  For an example the Cobra 7 iron weighs 380 grams and the Ping 7 iron weighs 420 grams.  The Cobra pitching wedge weighs 400 grams and the Ping pitching wedge weighs 440 grams.  It is a definite difference when you pick one up and lay it down and pick the other one up. I didn't realize they were that much heavier.  Like I said I just sky the ball and get no distance.  I am sure it is just me.  I bought them from the only shop in town on August 3rd.  Wonder if they would let me trade them in on  something else?  Is that normal?  All the clubs I have were bought online.  I did buy a Titletist 917 d2 driver also so maybe they will help me out with some type trade.  They had several used sets.  Going to try to check tomorrow.  If I look at another used set would it be out of line to ask them to let me take them to the driving range and hit a bucket of balls with them.  The Ping g20's felt good hitting off the carpet but not when I actually played off grass.  Thanks

1 hour ago, ThumbtackR9 said:

I posted that I had bought some Ping g20 irons with the ping shaft in regular flex. I just cannot hit them.  I just sky the ball and they feel heavy.  I weighed them on my scales  (just static weight) and they are heavier than the clubs ( Cobra Fly Z) than I have been playing with. ...

... The Ping g20's felt good hitting off the carpet but not when I actually played off grass.  Thanks.

Here's a comparison of the specs of the two irons:

G20FlyZ.jpg.e817e2cfac59ea2c301036ec51a6543c.jpg

With the different in shaft lengths, it would seem the FlyZ irons would catch up a bit on feel, as they have longer shafts which would increase swing weight. But, you pointed out the difference in dead weight between the two iron models.

The Ping G20 came with the CFS steel shaft (R-flex = 98 grams) as one of the stock shafts. But, I was unable to find the weight of the FlyZ shafts.

You might consider getting a lesson with your new irons. If you're skying them, it may be that you are subconsciously trying to "help" the ball into the air because you feel the resistance of the added weight. It's hard to tell much from your description.

Also, did you get a full fitting on the G20 irons, or just try and buy?

Edited by WUTiger
Added shaft weight remark.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Fly Z shafts weigh 65 grams.  I didn't know how much the CFS shaft weighed.  I hadn't thought about the length.  I just went out to my shop and compared the length between the Ping 7 iron and the Cobra 7 iron.  It is 1/8".   I don't know how you measure the length of a iron though.  I stood them up and put the toe of both clubs even then looked at the top of the grip.  The Cobra is 1/8" longer.  The sole of the Ping is much wider.  I have two other seven irons.  One is a old Adams Idea iron and the other is a older Adams o5.  I have the sets of both.  They are older clubs and the Cobra's the newest and they are a few years old.  I basically hit the two Adams sets and the Cobra's about the same.  The Ping is different.  I hit it straight up in the air and no distance.  I don't do this with the other three seven irons so I don't  know.  My other clubs dont's have near the offset.  Don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

I did not get a full fitting.  I just hit them in the simulator and thought they felt good and bought them.  I think if I would have carried them to the range I would have knew I couldn't hit them. I'll probably take them back and see if he has anything else I can try.  For no more than I get to play the clubs I have are probably fine I just thought I might get some clubs that are a little newer.  The Adams clubs are old, I am not sure on the Fly Z's. 

I am going to take them back and see if the guy will work with me.  If he won't I'll sell them on ebay and just take a loss.  I gave 350.00 plus tax for them.  They are 4 -9 with pw, u, sw with the cfs shaft and ping grips in good shape.  I'll take 325.00 shipped if anyone wants them. 

Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!