IGNORED

Golfweeks power ranking

darktone
Note: This thread is 5963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the key difference here is what they are ranking them on as follows:

"players who have played a combined 11 events on nine worldwide tours - PGA Tour, PGA European Tour, Nationwide Tour, Japan Golf Tour, PGA Tour of AustralAsia, Southern Africa Tour, Asian PGA Tour, European Challenge Tour and the Canadian Tour".

Not sure of how what most would call the offical world rankings works, but it has Steve Stirker at 3rd (Golfweek has him 7th) and I would have to say that he probably has not played many tournaments lately in these other countries???

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

The OWGR uses all pro tournaments to calculate. Not really sure of how Golfweeks works their rankings? Thought others might find this list interesting. :)

That site also calls the numbers "The Golfweek/Sagarin Performance Index". Jeff Sagarin is a great statistician and he counts everything . He has about five tours listed that seem N/A to me. Nationwide tour? Canadian tour? Australasia? What in the heck is the European Challenge tour anyway? Golfweek doesn't miss much either. They cover everything .

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Canadian tour? Australasia? What in the heck is the European Challenge tour anyway?

What a funny and stereotypical American view, European Challenge Tour is home to some very promising young players, all of which are better all round players than the likes of American young players who call them golfers but have never played abroad, or on non american style courses, the European Challenge Tour probably holds more potential talent that a lot of your lower tours.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

What a funny and stereotypical American view, European Challenge Tour is home to some very promising young players, all of which are better all round players than the likes of American young players who call them golfers but have never played abroad, or on non american style courses, the European Challenge Tour probably holds more potential talent that a lot of your lower tours.

Now I know what it is. It's a Nationwide tour. Thanks for that stereotype comment. It makes me feel like your buddy. Regarding the word 'better', you may be right about that. PGA courses don't teach shotmaking.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I like how you say "what a typical American view"... then you go on to do the same thing... claiming more talent, they don't just play "American" style courses, etc.

Bottom line... European Challenge tour ---> many young players who will break through and play on either the European or PGA tours... Nationwide Tour---> many young players who will break through and play on the PGA... Nationwide v. Challenge... too close to call... both are the elite young players trying to get a spot in the big show. myth... American players only play one type course and can only play on this "one" style course. We managed to win the Walker Cup
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

why is there always's such negative vibes on this forum?

I don't know.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

Now I know what it is. It's a Nationwide tour. Thanks for that stereotype comment. It makes me feel like your buddy. Regarding the word 'better', you may be right about that. PGA courses don't teach shotmaking.

I like how you say "what a typical American view"... then you go on to do the same thing... claiming more talent, they don't just play "American" style courses, etc.

why is there always's such negative vibes on this forum?

Alright guys, lets keep the discussion civil. We don't need to throw out "stereotypes" and the like to talk about golf rankings. If you have an argument that one tour "might" be better than another, that's great, just back that up with facts, not opinions.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have nothing to say in reply to that.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

myth... American players only play one type course and can only play on this "one" style course. We managed to win the Walker Cup

Wow! This is so true. I watched the Americans play at this years Walker Cup - they certainly had the game to play links golf. They won because they played better golf - the course had nothing to do with it. Would love to see the Ryder Cup on a links! Back to the rankings, I've picked out the important points:
# POWER RATING: This is NOT a stroke average. The rating is calculated using a player’s record, stroke differential and connection to all the other players in the database. However, It does represent the typical score you can expect a player to shoot; the difference between two ratings predicts the difference between two players in a typical round. # SCHEDULE STRENGTH: The average strength of each event in which the player has played, calculated using the power ratings of every player in every field. # SCHEDULE RANK: The player’s schedule is ranked by difficulty among the entire database. # RECORDS: A player’s won-lost-tied record, based on head-to-head competition, in each category. The winner in a 156-player field has a record of 155-0-0, the runner-up is 154-1-0, etc.

I think that these seem like a fair way to rank players. I'll be keeping an eye on this as the season goes on as it's difficult to gauge the European Tour against the PGA Tour.

Justin Roses 2007 season: Tied 5th in the Masters and T10 in The US Open Tied 12th in the British Open and the USPGA (that'll be the most consistent player in all 4 majors) Won: European Tour Order of Merit Australian Mastercard Masters Volvo Masters (equivilant to the PGA's Tour Championship pre-Fed Ex) Seve Trophy (team) as well as losing a play off in the BMW PGA Championship So thats a first and a second in perhaps the top 2 non-major/WGC events on the European tour. Pretty good in my books. European Tour number one. AND he finished 19th on PGA money tour - 16th after FedEx. That's a pretty good accomplishment for one guy in one season. Looking at the Rolex rankings - Rose is 6th on 6.00. Ahead of him are friends Phil, Steve, Jim, Ernie and the other fella. So the Rolex rankings give the PGA Tour higher weighting - and Golfweek give the PGA Tour a lower rating. Just an observation.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Now I know what it is. It's a Nationwide tour. Thanks for that stereotype comment. It makes me feel like your buddy.

Sorry Should of explained it too you instead of jumping down your throat

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Look out, another hot sports opinion from Jay_B. Why are you so angry? Between yesterdays "Controversial" BS thread and this off the wall comment, you seem to have a lot of built up anger for some reason. Girlfriend dump you or something?

Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

Look out, another hot sports opinion from Jay_B.

Out of interest what is wrong with opinions, this is after all, a public forum where people will talk and share their opinions.

yesterdays "Controversial" BS thread and this off the wall comment

I have already apologised for this, thanks for trying to put me in a bad light though.

you seem to have a lot of built up anger for some reason. Girlfriend dump you or something?

Me and the girlfriend are fine, suppose I could blame stress from my A-levels, but that would probably give you some sort of satisfaction

And maybe it was not a 'stereotypical' American comment, but it does represent the common trend of young American golfers only ever playing tour events in the US, and not abroad. But this is nothing against mikelz, as its obvious he made the effort to see what the European challenge tour is

Out of interest what is wrong with opinions, this is after all, a public forum where people will talk and share their opinions.

It is one thing to talk and share opinions. It is another thing to post stereo types and post nonsense garbage and pawn it off as opinion.

I have already apologised for this, thanks for trying to put me in a bad light though.

It just shows that you aren't really sorry and that you are angry.

...but that would probably give you some sort of satisfaction

I don't get satisfaction out of others misery. Do you?

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

redi630 as this is forcing the thread really off topic I'll suggest talking to me via PM, I don't want to argue with you.... especially in someone else's thread, if you have anything else to say, my PM box is empty

redi630 as this is forcing the thread really off topic I'll suggest talking to me via PM, I don't want to argue with you.... especially in someone else's thread, if you have anything else to say, my PM box is empty

Don't worry, I'm done with you. You're boring.

PutterKarsten Anser2

Note: This thread is 5963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!