IGNORED

Changing from Graphite to steel on a Utility iron

Note: This thread is 2376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, I want to change out a graphite shaft (Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black 90) that comes standard in the Wilson Tour V4 24 Deg Utility/driving iron and I have a couple of questions that I was hoping ye could help me with.

Info: Current Club length in Graphite  is 39’’ Lie 60.00 and Swing Weight is D2

Steel shaft replacement is the DG s300 AMT. .. Club Length will be 38.75.

The amt shaft is .355 and the adapter on the head is .370 so it will require a shim. Is this successful?

I think the .25 difference will make the swing weight D0/D1 which will probably be not very noticeable and adding 3 grams to the head will bring it back up.. would the epoxy & shim make some of this weight difference up?

The Lie will be off and not sure how successful trying to adjust lie on what I assume is a cast club with a forged face. Can this be bent/adjusted easily enough be a club pro?

These are probably silly questions but just want to make sure before I bring it to get it done.

Thanks in advance for all answers/ apologies if this has being asked before.

Jones Carry Bag *** Titleist 975D 10.5  *** Wilson Staff FG Tour  4 - pw *** Callaway Mac Daddy 52 deg & 58 deg *** Nike Method Mod 90

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Greetings @PaddyMac .

Was out one a windy day last November, and joined a couple of players from a local college golf team. One player was from Ireland, and had an XStiff driver with 8* loft. The last hole was a 440-yd. par 4 into a 35 MPH wind. (My tees were only 390 yds.) He hit a line drive that never got 15 feet off the ground; it carried out to about 270, and then ran out another 50 yards. My drive from the shorter tees, a solid hit for me, came up about 40 yards short of his, despite my starting advantage.

So, I think I understand why you want a shaft that will help you keep the ball lower, in case the wind blows. 

As for your driving iron, a couple of extra things to consider.

aGolfShafts.jpg.8ae33d1cb893519acdfc82aa19c964f7.jpg

Your new AMT shaft will be heavier than the KKBlack:
      Regular: 108 - 90 = 18 grams // Stiff:........112 - 93 = 19 grams

Roughly 18 more grams of weight for the new shaft means the swingweight will increase by +2 units. That will more than cancel out the -1/4 inch trim that would have decreased swingweight by about 0.7 units.

As for shims, you would have weigh it. I have limited actual reshafting exerience and none involved shims. @boogielicious, any tips on shims?

For other details, check out the Callaway Customization measurement guidelines.

• Informative 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Roughly 18 more grams of weight for the new shaft means the swingweight will increase by +2 units. That will more than cancel out the -1/4 inch trim that would have decreased swingweight by about 0.7 units.

Brilliant info, I hadn't thought of that...

11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

So, I think I understand why you want a shaft that will help you keep the ball lower, in case the wind blows. 

Ha ha I'm afraid it does get very windy and wet here in Winter and I found that the hybrids were launching a little high and just wanted an iron that would keep it down a bit. I figured that the 24* driving iron with the bit of extra cavity/help in the back would be a solid option and then go from 5-PW with my set.

12 hours ago, WUTiger said:

As for shims, you would have weigh it. I have limited actual reshafting exerience and none involved shims. @boogielicious, any tips on shims?

I think the shims work well ( from what I googled ) once the prep work is done correctly on the adapter and all parts are sanded to help better contact for the epoxy so should be good to go.

Thank you @WUTiger appreciate the info

Jones Carry Bag *** Titleist 975D 10.5  *** Wilson Staff FG Tour  4 - pw *** Callaway Mac Daddy 52 deg & 58 deg *** Nike Method Mod 90

Note: This thread is 2376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!