IGNORED

2018 Formula 1 season. Health & Safety gone too far?

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So its almost time for the new season to start along with new and old rivalries. Thing is im not as exited as i used to be. The teams have released their new cars and lets be honest, they all look hideous. Essentially thanks to the new safety rules requiring all cars to be fitted with Halo head protection all the cars now look like 200mph+ flip flops.

2284330-47585390-2560-1440.jpg

Let me be clear, safety in any sport is important but i, along with most of the actual drivers, think the halo's aren't the answer. I can see more accidents amongst the less experienced drivers simply as the forward visability is compromised. Try holding your hand in front of your face and running around. At some point you're gonna have an accident. Red Bull tried an aero screen but said it caused such turbulence the drivers were starting to feel sick.

Thing is Indycar got it to work so why couldnt the pinnacle of motorsport?

indycar-phoenix-february-testing-2018-scott-dixon-chip-ganassi-racing-honda-tests-the-aero-7456863.jpg

I think the new owners of F1 are going to regret the regulation changes for this year and the halos will dissapear by mid season. Motorsport is meant to have an element of calculated danger. Since 1994 there have only been 3 deaths (Senna, Ratzenberger in '94 and Jules Bianchi Suzuka 2014). I'm all for increased driver safety but i feel that Liberty Media have sanitsed the sport.

Think i may watch the Indycar season this year instead.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

The halo sucks. But its not going anywhere. The FIA having a solution to driver head injuries in their mind and not doing it for aesthetic reasons on the cars would have been a mistake. Everyone will get used to them soon enough. The windshield option didn't work for F1 cars not so much because of wind turbulence, but because the frequency F1 engines produce created weird vibrations in the cockpit that were making testers (Vettel and Riccardo) nauseous. It was literally giving them motion sickness. Indy spec lumps don't produce the same pitch. 

Note: This thread is 2208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!