IGNORED

Bounce Angle on Wedges

Kam1216
Note: This thread is 5963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just purchased a new set of Titleist spin milled wedges (52,56,60) and I ordered the 60 degree in low bounce because a head pro told me the better players tend to like the low bounce more in the 60. I am a little skeptical because I am known as a "digger". Anyone having any problems with a low bounce wedge? (It's winter and I am unable to try them out here)

I just purchased a new set of Titleist spin milled wedges (52,56,60) and I ordered the 60 degree in low bounce because a head pro told me the better players tend to like the low bounce more in the 60. I am a little skeptical because I am known as a "digger". Anyone having any problems with a low bounce wedge? (It's winter and I am unable to try them out here)

with pw and lw, better players prefer lower bounce for increased playabilty.

my SW is high bounce
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

i'm a "digger" too - i have high bounce in my wedges - 54.14 and 58.08. I used to have a 60.04 but it had limited uses. It was good out of the rough around the green. But from distance not so good. I will be changing the 54 to a 10 degree bounce - it's brilliant out of the bunker and from full distance but the finesse shots are difficult with it- the bounce hurts :(

If you have 4 wedges - a low bounce lob wedge would be a good idea. I only have 3 wedges - the PW is with the set. I find the lob wedge more versitile with higher bounce but that's just me in soft Ireland

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

None of my wedges are truly "low bounce" (< 5°). My gap and lob wedge are moderate bounce and my sand wedge is higher. Between my gap and lob wedge I can hit off almost any lie, the sand wedge I really only use for bunkers and softer lies.

I don't generally hit full shots with anything but my pitching wedge and occasionally my gap wedge.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

I ended up returning my 60-04 Vokey and got the 60-08. It was just too much of a digger for me on the type of courses that I play. The club was getting stuck on a lot of shots and the switch made an immediate difference on chips, pitches and partial shots and has restored my confidence. There was very little difference in the bunkers as both have a nice flange that you can exploit. I had played the 60-03 Cleveland 588 for years and thought that I could just do the same with the Vokey, but the soles are different with the 588 having a little different camber than the Vokey.

Now I also bought the 54-10 and have found that to be a well balanced club in every respect. The medium bounce is perfect for every shot that I want to hit. I had the 56-14 in the 588 and found the bounce to be just a little too much for some of the finesse shots that I like.

Just for reference, I use the 54 more around the greens than the 60 unless I need get it up quickly and I use the 60 for most bunker shots that are short to medium length. The courses I play are medium to soft with very little hard pan and the sand is medium most of the time.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I just put a low bounce 60 in my bag recently to help me (in theory) get up and down from very tight lies, hard pan and/or hard wet sand. From my experience I found that I tended to slightly skull (or completely skull) the ball from these lies using a wedge with more than 8 or 10 degrees of bounce unless I put it further back in my stance and had a steeper angle of attack to promote hitting the ball first each and everytime. This is tough when you are trying to 'gingerly' get the ball airborne to a flag that's positioned with little or no green to work with.

The low bounce (again in theory) should be more 'forgiving' so to speak from these lies in that it would allow you to keep the clubhead along the ground longer and not have the club 'bounce' UP and skull the ball.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

Note: This thread is 5963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!