IGNORED

Rich Lerner

Clubswinger21
Note: This thread is 5951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im sorry, I find him annoying in interviews and as the tournament host and or announcer. He's overly polite, and smiles with that annoying little giggle everytime he makes a comment. Just brings up common facts about a golfers past everyone already knows. Im sorry, i dont need to be reminded 12 times in one broadcast day about how I should remember when Mike Weir won the 2003 masters.. just because he's in or near the lead.

Anyone notice, how he'll chime in and say something completely idiotic?

Yesterday at the FBR Frank Nobilo and Peter Osterhouse were commenting on Phil Mickelson Nice drive, Rich interupts with "Coming up on a year now that Phil has been working with Butch Harmon."

Needless to say they just ignored him and kept commenting on how long Phil hit it.

Tell me im not alone on this.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Your not, but Johnny Miller annoys me as well, so many golf announcers that I just don't get.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I agree; Rich doesn't have a lot of insight, but there are others that annoy me more. He is pretty slick and is fine on a sports desk, but for the live stuff from tournaments is not very good.
I'm really starting to dislike Craig Kaan on TGC too. He also states the obvious all the time, has idiotic statements like "How good is that, no, HOW ABOUT HOW GREAT!" and has a annoying way of talking by putting in annoying pauses and stresses on syllables. I think Kaan is more knowledgeable than Learner, but they both annoy me. Johnny Miller, well there's a whole other thread

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I'd listen to Rich Lerner any day over Johnny Dumbo Miller. Johnny says the dumbest things, and never ceases to talk continuosly when he needs to put a sock in it.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I would have to agree with all of the comments stated, but when I watch any event, I just try to ignore most of the guys and just watch. But one guy I actually like is Frank Nobilo, he knows what he is talking about and he doesn't talk TOO much.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I'd listen to Rich Lerner any day over Johnny Dumbo Miller. Johnny says the dumbest things, and never ceases to talk continuosly when he needs to put a sock in it.

I disagree, i find former players make better announcers because they know what they're talking about. Johnny Miller usually only announces for a few majors a year anyways so you dont have to worry about hearing his voice alot. I was stoked to hear Jim Nance (the best announcer in golf right now), Osterhouse and Faldo doing todays broadcast.

904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2

• Administrator

I'll disagree as well.

Johnny's ego is good for one thing: he doesn't talk about a player's past. He only talks about what is going on RIGHT NOW, and frankly, that's all I care about when I'm watching a golf tournament. I don't care if Player A won two tournaments in the past three years - I care what he's doing right now, and I already KNOW he won two tournaments in the past three years. I find the Kelly Tilghman/Rich Lerner approaching incredibly maddening. They say nothing of any value or weight and neither of them have ever played high-level pro golf, so they can't offer any insight on that level. Johnny talks too much, but at least he's talking about what's going on RIGHT NOW. For that I'll give him a lot of credit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While I wont disagree I will say that there is a lot of time to fill for the announcer in a golf event and everything out of there mouths cant be a insight and gem. The announcer is essentially the filler.

Kinda like with dog food you got the flavor - Johnny Miller - Nick Faldo(that would be the bits of rendered meat) and then there is the filler Rich Lerner - Kelly Tilghman- etc. (saw dust rat hair that kind of thing).

For what its worth I like the retired players the best because when they say its a hard shot I believe them and every once in a while they come up with something that I can take to the course for my own game.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

While I wont disagree I will say that there is a lot of time to fill for the announcer in a golf event and everything out of there mouths cant be a insight and gem. The announcer is essentially the filler.

With the exception of Lanny Wadkins

904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2

• Administrator

There's nothing that says the announcer HAS to talk. They don't have to open their mouths. Heaven forbid we enjoy two seconds of silence. Heaven forbid we hear more player/caddie conversations. Heaven forbid we get lie/distance/etc. info and leave it at that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's nothing that says the announcer HAS to talk. They don't have to open their mouths. Heaven forbid we enjoy two seconds of silence. Heaven forbid we hear more player/caddie conversations. Heaven forbid we get lie/distance/etc. info and leave it at that.

I'm with you. I remember when there was a strike in Canadian broadcasting and the games were shown without any commentary. It was great. Pure.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

Note: This thread is 5951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!