IGNORED

Wedge gapping

Note: This thread is 2074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, beaureed445 said:

Hmmmmm.  Interesting topic, as I'm currently going through the same thing.  I just ordered a set of 718 AP1's, including the "extra" wedge (PW is 43*, extra wedge is 48*).  I also ordered a Vokey SM7 in 54*.  I think I'll be fine with these lofts, as they're similar to the Ping G20's that I'm hitting now (PW-45*, UW- 50*, SW- 45*).  I have a few-year-old Cleveland 60* in the garage if I feel that I "need" a lob wedge.

Good god lofts are getting strong. That pitching wedge has nearly the same loft as my 8-iron, which is 42 degrees.

I’m currently waiting for my 60 to arrive. I think I’ll see about bending my SW a degree strong and going 50-55-60 through my wedges.

Next step will be to secure an upgrade to my 50 and my bag will be all filled out.

I still want a 62 though, just because everyone says it’s a bad idea. That said, my wedges were uncharacteristically poor today, so y’all might be right.

I used to be pretty concerned about having specific gap intervals between wedges, but I've come to realize that loft is just one factor. What's more important is the distance gapping between the clubs and then being able to hit the in between shots.

I like what @iacas does (although I've always been too lazy to do it myself) of putting a label on the shaft of each wedge of the distance it goes with a full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 swing.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, tristanhilton85 said:

I used to be pretty concerned about having specific gap intervals between wedges, but I've come to realize that loft is just one factor. What's more important is the distance gapping between the clubs and then being able to hit the in between shots.

I like what @iacas does (although I've always been too lazy to do it myself) of putting a label on the shaft of each wedge of the distance it goes with a full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 swing.

I really like that idea.

Driver:  :titleist: TS2 10.5* 
3-Wood: :titleist: TS2 16.5*
Irons: :titleist: T300
Wedges: :vokey: SM7 58*
Putter:  :scotty_cameron: Phantom X 6 STR

2 hours ago, FrivolouslyWasted said:

Good god lofts are getting strong. That pitching wedge has nearly the same loft as my 8-iron, which is 42 degrees.

Yup. I didn't realize how strong they were getting until someone pointed out some of the newer Ping and TaylorMade sets, and I was shocked at the lofts.

On another golf forum, I was seeing people say they were hitting 5-irons 200-210 yards, consistently, and relatively easily, but only hitting 250 yard drives. It made no sense to me as I look at swing charts and figure a 210 yard 5-iron carry should put you at like 280+ driver carry.

TM M4s have 21.5* 5-irons. My 3-iron, from 2013 (Nike), is 21*. So it actually makes sense... their irons are basically 2 clubs strong.

8 hours ago, BaconNEggs said:

Yup. I didn't realize how strong they were getting until someone pointed out some of the newer Ping and TaylorMade sets, and I was shocked at the lofts.

On another golf forum, I was seeing people say they were hitting 5-irons 200-210 yards, consistently, and relatively easily, but only hitting 250 yard drives. It made no sense to me as I look at swing charts and figure a 210 yard 5-iron carry should put you at like 280+ driver carry.

TM M4s have 21.5* 5-irons. My 3-iron, from 2013 (Nike), is 21*. So it actually makes sense... their irons are basically 2 clubs strong.

Good ole loft creep. Not content with killing the 1 iron and 2 irons, it’s aiming for the 3 and 4 as well. It’ll be time for the manufacturers to introduce a new wedge type before long. Soon folks will be carrying 5 irons and 5 wedges.

A 21.5 degree 5 iron. That’s wild. My 2-iron from ‘82 is 20 degrees. The 5 iron of that set is 30 degrees. 

Note: This thread is 2074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!