IGNORED

How often do you buy new irons?

rf53
Note: This thread is 1928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How often do you buy new irons?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. When do you replace your irons?

• Every year
    • Between 2-5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11+ years
    • There's nothing wrong with my mashie niblick.

Last year I bought my seventh set in 10 years of golf. Always looking for something extra. Played blades with steelfiber shafts a couple of years ago. Now I play the Callaway rogue with graphite. Like them a lot, but I said that of all my clubs. There is no need at all to change that often, but when you got the itch..

I hope to play at least 5 years with this set, the itch is too costly and it brings not enough.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems like Ive always done it several times a year.  Some new set strikes my fancy and boom, I switch.  I wouldnt say there was any logical reason to it.

I feel like Im kind of over the itch to try new clubs.  Last fall, I bought a set of Pineadow PGXs, which are just super chunky but super forgiving shovels and Ive been very happy with them.  I honestly cant see myself switching because they are super easy to hit and give good distance.

On 8/18/2018 at 6:27 AM, rf53 said:

I read an article recently that suggested because of improvements in technology one should buy a new set of irons every five years. While I subscribe to this concept with my driver and fairway woods, when it comes to my irons I have not seen the need. Is this golf club industry hype to get you to buy their products, or am I truly falling behind?

I own two sets of irons. According to the article I read, both are seriously outdated. The first is my trusty set of Ping Eye 2's that date back to the late 1980's. My second set are Macgregor 1025 CM's that are about fifteen years old. I love the classic Eye 2 irons, but the lofts on these irons are definitely old school, particularly in the short irons where the lofts represent one full club difference based on today's standards. My Macgregor irons also fall behind today's loft standards, but only by a degree or so. It is no wonder that today's iron manufacturers are claiming more distance. They have tweaked the lofts to the point where today's 8 iron is yesterday's 7 iron... but I digress.

Currently, I play a mixed set of the irons I own. In my bag are the Macgregor 3,4,5,& 6 irons, and the Ping 6,7,8,9,PW & SW. Weird, I know, to carry two 6 irons, but based on the old school lofts the Eye 2 6 iron is really my 7 iron, and so on down the line. I feel I hit these clubs really well (especially the Eye 2 scoring clubs), and I don't feel the need to spend $700 to $1000 dollars on new irons, but in the back of my mind is that little voice that tells me I am leaving a few strokes on the course every time I go out because I am playing old technology.

Comments? 

I’m currently using old everything from MP32, 910D2 driver, an old metal head 3W.

Honestly, I think I’d only gain a stroke or two using new stuff, but the strikes would look nicer more of the time.

It’s a quality of experience thing in my mind. As soon as my kids graduate from college, I’ll treat myself to nice new clubs. For now, 10-20 year old gear works...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!