IGNORED

New to the game - irons question (TA 845s Silver Scots)

WillieT
Note: This thread is 1964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just joined the forum and have a few questions.  After literally the first time on a in 2009 and totally enjoying myself, I decided that one day I would actually take up the game.  This shaped up over this summer as I became involved in our church's men's group and their once a month 9 hole best ball rounds.  I had an eclectic set of mixed irons (McGregor, Spalding, Lynx) and persimmon woods (Spalding, McGregor) (all from the 60's - 70's) that had been given me.  I had a hoot playing extremely vintage clubs but decided in a mad dash to "upgrade".  Well I've put together an almost equally eclectic set of clubs - TM R580 10.5deg Driver, TM R580 15deg 3Wood; Tour Edge Bazooka GeoMax 3 (19deg) & 4 (22deg) Hybrids; Nike CPR 5 Hybrid; Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot Irons (3 - PW, even though I am using just the 6i - PW) and Ping Eye2+ 53 and  Ping Eye2 57.5 Wedges.  I opted for the Silver Scot irons as they had many great reviews and were at a good price.  From what I've read the 845s irons are highly regarded as great irons for their time.  What I have also read is that these clubs tend to play "short", i.e. if the short would normally call for a 9 iron,  you would need to club up to an 8 to achieve the same distance.  I understand it is because the 845s are more heavily lofted.  Is this accurate?   While I understand that they are not "legal" for events at the pro-level, I don't think I will ever have to worry about that.   To date I have done mostly chipping practice in the back yard with the 2-1/2 year old grandson.  I love how they swing and have worked on chipping with everything from 6i thru the 57.5 Ping Sand Wedge.  So my real question is this - do the irons truly play short and should I even be worried about it.....

Willie T 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST.   You've come to the right place to ask questions.   

The clubs are older and may not have the distance as newer clubs but what is more important is the gapping you have between each club.     As you stated, you don't think you'll ever worry about "legal" events and you love how they swing,  keep what works.   

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I feel like I have the gapping (loft wise) pretty good...the Nike 5H is 26*, the TA 845s start at 32* (6i) in 4* increments to the PW @ 48*, then the Pings pick up @ 53* and 57.5*.  I know ultimately it comes down to really knowing how far I hit the clubs on average.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I recently took an old set of Macgregor irons out for a day.  The lofts and lengths are such that the 3-PW are nearly identical to my newer 4-GW.  To say that the older clubs "play shorter" is disingenuous: they are the same clubs with different, by one, numbers or letters.  The important thing is to know your clubs...and enjoy using them.  If a 9 iron from one set is an 8 iron in another...what difference does that make?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Piz - that makes perfect sense and I love how someone on here put it in another thread when asked which club, they say, "At this distance I would use my '___' yardage club".  I just need some good time on the range to make sure I have a good "feel" for the average distance is for each club and play accordingly.  i guess lofts/numbers/letters are really to just let you know this is the club "YOU USE" to get to the green from said distance(s).  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Note: This thread is 1964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!