IGNORED

My Course Rating Got Changed Thread

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hmm.  The 90/10 rule did not apply to my course rating change as the distance has not changed.  Perhaps, I am not accounting for changes around the greens.   A few greens may have gotten slightly larger if I remember correctly.   Anyway, I have to play 1/2 strokes better to maintain my HI.   This, after I set my 2019 goal to improve my HI by 2 points.   Make that 2.5 now.   Bummer.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 hours ago, gbogey said:

So sorry for another question but I'm fascinated by the rating system - how does course setup play into the ratings?

You can look this stuff up, but the short answer is… we write down the length of the grass in the rough, and that weighs into "Rough & Recovery" stuff.

On the other hand, my home course had a more difficult than average rating but there was a par 5 where 90% of the time the tee was moved 60 yards forward from the scorecard position.

They shouldn't do that.

In some regards moving the tees forward didn't help that much as it brought OB into play but with the tee forward the green was reachable in 2 without driver and otherwise it was hard to reach in 2 with driver.  And of course I always wonder about green speeds - can a course jack them up to get rated and slow them down later?

Not really. We write down what the green speeds are usually, under normal conditions. We can rate on days when it's pouring down rain if needed… because we know what the typical conditions are.

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

Hmm.  The 90/10 rule did not apply to my course rating change as the distance has not changed.  Perhaps, I am not accounting for changes around the greens.

The 10% could have changed… Also, the guidelines shift slightly over time. We've always done trees the way they do them now, but for awhile, raters had to measure trees. Now it's more of a judgment call.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes, it's fair/accurate.

Remember, slope matters more and more the farther you get from scratch, AND it's not like the formulas haven't been examined, tweaked, etc. multiple times over the past few decades.

I don't think the courses play "much" harder if their ratings and slopes are about the same. Maybe for one individual type of golfer, but not overall. Not "much" harder. Maybe a little bit.

Well I know that distance can kill your score from the get go, but I mean our courses over here that are short are just stupidly tight. It doesn’t matter if you can drive it 300yards if you have to hit your tee shot 190-210 yards long in a 20 yards wide landing zone or you have no way of going for the green with your second shot (and you still got 180 yards for the approach)... and there is no way to play over the dog leg even for the longest hitters as the trees block the tee shot. 

The course I play most is a 5485 yards par 71, 68,8 CR and 131 slope from the mens tees. 

I get that it’s short, but on most holes wirh a missed tee shot you are scrambling for bogey...

For me personally it’s much much easier to play a long wide open course than a tight short course. And I guess that’s true for pretty much anyone above a 10 index. 

I know iacas already mentioned it, but my course is still going through scorecards with the old ratings. There's slight differences, but this was my first year at the course SK I couldn't tell if anything vastly changed about the course.

Note: This thread is 1967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!