IGNORED

Fake Scotty Cameron's on eBay

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently purchased, what I thought was, a Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport off eBay, but when I received it I was very disappointed as it turned out to be a fake. Thankfully the seller fully reimbursed the purchase price and the cost of shipping it back to him. He said that it had been given to him as a gift and that he didn't know anything about golf or putters. I did end up purchasing a real one from a member at TCC.

If you look on eBay you can find a large number of these fake Studio Style's being sold for what a real one costs. Here are some things to look for on these fakes:

-White dot's at the top and bottom of the grip, the real one's do not have these;
-The shaft band is visible at address, it should not be;
-The polymer that surrounds the GSS insert is actually just white paint;
-The shaft has the True-Temper logo on it, real ones don't;
-If described as new, the putter head is shrink-wrapped in plastic; the "new" real ones have only the grip shrink-wrapped;
-The headcover looks different from real ones because it is, it looks cheap, it's not the correct shape and it is not made by AME like the real ones;
-Many times they will not come with a divot tool, the real ones do.

These are just some of the things to look for, many times these are being sold at the same price as the real one's. Make sure that if you do buy on eBay, only buy from a reputable seller with near-perfect or perfect feedback and a lot of it. I have found that many of those selling these have less than 50 feedbacks, which is a big red-flag.

Here are some links to fakes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scotty-Cameron-S...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/35-Titleist-Scot...QQcmdZViewItem

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

That is why I don't buy golf equipment off ebay :)
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Many people do, which is why I posted this. I still plan on purchasing equipment off eBay, but I will be much more careful in the future.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

A way to significantly improve your odds of getting non-fake items is to only buy used. Not that you can just stop looking to make sure it isn't fake, but the counterfeiters looking for a quick buck usually aren't going to try to replicate last year's or even last month's model because the upcharge isn't the same. Why only make $150 when you can make $350?

So, anything listed as new on eBay, be very, very suspicious of.

I hope you reported these jerk-offs... I have bought my wife clubs on ebay (two Cobra Bafflers)... but you definately have to be careful.

The most common fakes to my knowledge are...
-Callaway Drivers
-Cleveland Wedges
-golf pride grips
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Good heads up - I have found one seller that I like on ebay - have used him to buy a couple of clubs as well as one for my wife - think thats the way to go, find a couple of real stores that put stuff up for bid, and stick with those.

In the Bag:

- R7 460 - Driver
- R7 st - 3 Wood
- Baffler Dws - Hybrid - 4-Pw-CG-4 - Irons - 54 - CG-11/ 58+60 - CG 10 - Wedges - Rosa Mezza Monza - Putter NXT or Noodles

• 2 months later...
subscribed!!! this is big!

In my Xtreme II carry bag:

Mizuno Driver
MacGregor 3Wood
Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 3i CG Gold Graphite Irons (4-PW) 52* CG14 wedge Vokey 56* Sand Wedge Vokey 60* Lob Wedge 33" Newport

yea thanks for the heads up, I've been looking at these Cameron putters, used though.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

This is one of the reasons I quit selling used golf clubs on ebay, no one believed me the clubs I was selling were real (even with feedback of over 2000). It drove the price down so much it I was almost giving it away!
In the Bag:
ADAMS XTD 10.5 (S) 46"
Mizuno F-50 4-wood NV-65
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19° & 22°
TaylorMade X-300 FCI 5-pw Rifle 6.0 +1 4upCleveland 588 RTG 52° & 56° 3 upOdyssey 2-ball LONG cut to 40"

yeah.. my pop picked up a circa series on ebay and thought he got it for a steal. the only people that were robbing were the people selling the "brand new still wrapped with tags" etc etc.

I was looking into a few Diamana shafts on ebay...but I really don't trust it anymore. The last thing I want is to pull the shaft on my driver now...take a big swing on the Diamana shaft from ebay and then the shaft snaps in 1/2.

For the savings of $60 after the shaft's shipped, I'd rather pay the 275 at an online store knowing that it's legit.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I had one of those fake Cameron's from ebay worked just as good as the real thing.
whats in my bag
Driver: Superquad 8.5 LOVE THIS CLUB
woods: R7 TP 3 wood
Hybrids: Burner 3
Irons: XD BurnersWedges:Vokey Spin Milled 56Putter: G5 ZINGBall:TP Black

• 2 months later...
I had one of those fake Cameron's from ebay worked just as good as the real thing.

LOL..now this a funny post.

-- Yeah, be wary of getting putters on Ebay unless you can verify. I'd suggest checking out the Cameron Collector and inquiring with thise guys over there. and whatever you do DO NOT BUY FROM HERE! www.••••••••.com oy..

Thanks for posting this.

I've heard of this happening recently to a buddy with some high $$$ sunglasses. He thought he was paying for the primo brand at a nice discount but recieved the cheap knock-offs instead.

I've been leary of some ebay items, too.

Things that look too good to be true may very well be just that.

Glad it worked out okay for you in the end....thanks for the warning....great detail, too. Thanks.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Ebay also has some good user submitted tutorials and such about helping to spot fakes. There is one great one with pics of the Camerons.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

Thanks for the heads up. On ebay a really legit seller is 3balls.com, they have an online and a ebay store. They have great prices, I got my Cobra 3 wood gently used 80.00 dollars. If you are in doubt look for this store, no fakes, just real equipment.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!