IGNORED

Best Fairway Wood Loft To Fill The Gap

Smoothus
Note: This thread is 1902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My club set up currently is 10.5 driver, 16.5 3/4 wood, then the GAP needing to fill, then 4-iron (at 21 degrees) to my wedges and putter. I have tried a 19 degree hybrid but keep turning it over left and am wondering if a 5/6 wood may fill the GAP. But at what loft?

Thanks for any suggestions that are given.

1 hour ago, Smoothus said:

My club set up currently is 10.5 driver, 16.5 3/4 wood, then the GAP needing to fill, then 4-iron (at 21 degrees) to my wedges and putter. I have tried a 19 degree hybrid but keep turning it over left and am wondering if a 5/6 wood may fill the GAP. But at what loft?

Thanks for any suggestions that are given.

What are the distance gaps? For me, my 4 wood is around 205 and my 4 iron 180. So I have a 3 hybrid (21) in that gap, which is around 190. I would say try a 5 or 7 wood and see if you meet the gap requirements. If your woods are adjustable for loft, you can also dial them in a bit.

As for the 19 degree hybrid, you could also try a different shaft. I found the lighter shafts that came stock a bit too light. I picked up a heavier shaft on eBay and it helped a lot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a 72 year old with a handicap that's moving in the wrong direction, I'm not sure I can help the OP, but I carry 3-5-7 (distances about 205, 190, 180) woods, but my 3 wood is a weaker than normal 15 degrees, almost a 4 wood.  I just put the 3 wood back in my bag halfway through last season.  Every year I seem to lose a little more distance.

Like the OP, I have had to drop hybrids from my bag because when I miss with them, they go far left, and usually dead.  Since my "normal" shot is a fade, anything that turns unexpectedly left is going to be a problem for me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You might look at getting a stronger 3w and working off of that. A strong 3w can also be useful off the tee.

I’m 74. My setup for the past few years has been:

15* 3w

18* 5w

21* 7w (sometimes I substitute a 20.5* 4i)

The gaps have remained fairly consistent at about 10 yards.

I play a fade and have trouble hitting hybrids.

Edited by easyjay39402
typos

Thanks for your input and suggestions. My 3hl wood carry is 200-205 and my 4-iron carries 175-180. I’m leaning toward a 5hl wood (21 degrees) over a 19 degree hybrid due to: (1)the high trajectory and softer landing will benefit me more on my home track; (2)I’m not an overly long hitter and would like to hit some of our long par 3’s and 5’s when into the wind.

Taylormade m4 vs Cobra King f7?

i enjoy reading the comments and banter on here, all the way from Australia. Keep up the great work and thanks again. 

Note: This thread is 1902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!