IGNORED

Heavy Swing Weights

tcarter
Note: This thread is 5935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are thirdparty companies which are selling custimized swing weights for Taylormade Drivers. The claim is that the heavier the weights the futher the ball will travel assuming your swing speed is the same. I have seen some weights upto 26grams each. Can anyone advise if it is worth investing in heavier weights to achieve greater distance/accuracy. Do you really work?

Don't you think TM would sell them too if they would work?
I mean, the prices for those catridges are huge, so they would sell heavier weights, if that would be better!

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

Based on a simple physics equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, swing speed will have a greater impact than will heavier weights. However, if you maintain the same swing speed with heavier weights, then you should add distance. But if your swing speed slows down, you will lose distance rather than gaining it.

Hope this makes sense/helps.

PS: I have the 18 gram weights for my superquad, but due to the weather here, I haven't tried them out yet.
In the bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

Based on a simple physics equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, swing speed will have a greater impact than will heavier weights. However, if you maintain the same swing speed with heavier weights, then you should add distance. But if your swing speed slows down, you will lose distance rather than gaining it.

Made sense and helped me understand it better. Thanks. Oh, if you don't know about the added weight, bum some lead tape and give that a try. You can weigh the amount of tape that feels the best and go from there.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

That's funny I've just bought the 18gram weights as well but I cant try them either because of weather conditions!!!! Hopefully we haven't wasted our money !!

That's funny I've just bought the 18gram weights as well but I cant try them either because of weather conditions!!!! Hopefully we haven't wasted our money !!

Yea, I tend to take a little off of my swing in order to play with accuracy. I should be able to maintain the same swing speed so I upgraded them slightly. As far as the 26 gram weights, I'm not real sure how those won't slow your swing down. (since stock weights are 2 1g and 2 12g or 14g)
In the bag:

Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

how much are you guys spending on these 3rd party weights?

TaylorMade recommend you don't put anything apart from TM weights - but that's just marketing. If it goes in, stays in, and comes out - that's all you need.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

how much are you guys spending on these 3rd party weights?

I think for mine they cost around $40 for 2 18 gram weights (tungsten). They are very nice quality and they use the same TM torque wrench to install them.

In the bag:

^^ Don't forget what that kind of head weight will do to your measured swingweight. If the weight of a quarter adds 3 sw points, I am not sure what those 3rd market weights would do. It might take you from a DO to a D9. To me that would make it difficult to keep the same swingspeed.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

here is a link to some weights i found on eBay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/18-GR-WEIGHTS-FI...QQcmdZViewItem
In the bag:

The addition of a very large amount of weight to an oversize driver will increase the MOI ratings on that club. It will also increase the heft of the club. Increasing these values is not always better. If the user slices, this will make things worse in a neutral weight position. If the user is best suited for lower swingweights, this will cause inconsistent contact area on the face or maybe even a total miss of the face in extreme cases. From what I have heard about high SWs being better for most, massive added weight is a good thing. If you play by USGA or R&A; rules, be aware that the MOI may go over the conforming limit in extreme cases.

Note: This thread is 5935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!