IGNORED

Any danger in a beginner learning to swing with a sand wedge?

Armonster20
Note: This thread is 5694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got this Ben Hogan Sure-out 56* wedge. Lately I've been practicing 25-50yd shots to make sure I can get to the proper impact position. Is there any danger learning solely with this club, considering its unsual club head shape? Or will this swing translate directly into my full swing?

Insight XTD a3 Driver
a3 Hybrids/Irons (3-GW)
SM Vokey 58*
Black Series Putter

You should be swinging that club like a normal iron shot as well.

I've seen these in stores, and the great thing I notice is that they are a very good club for beginners, as you can see, the sole of the club is very wide allowing it to glide along the fairway which makes it easy to get under the ball.

It's a great club to use, and trying it out and learning shouldn't do any harm, keep practising, you're going to have to learn how to hit it some day.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I've got this Ben Hogan Sure-out 56* wedge. Lately I've been practicing 25-50yd shots to make sure I can get to the proper impact position. Is there any danger learning solely with this club, considering its unsual club head shape? Or will this swing translate directly into my full swing?

One of best ways to learn in my view . Learn to master that stick with 3/4 swings paying close attention to the fundamentals while you do and it will all translate directly to other clubs, plus you will be learning one of the key scoring shots in the game.

My wedge is my go-to when I'm working on swing dynamics. I find that when I practice with a driver and lower irons, I try to swing harder, which usually ends up being the cause of many of my problems, where with a wedge I never feel a need to swing hard. Wedges also seem to be a self-esteem booster for those rough days at the range.....

EDIT: Plus, I was always taught at the range to start out hitting shots with the wedge and then sequentially move up clubs eventually leading to the driver.

[SIZE=3]plus you will be learning one of the key scoring shots in the game.

Well said.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Swinging that wedge is the best way to start yourself on the right track. Learn to hit the ball first, then the turf. Use the wedge to work on your tempo. Wedge shots should never be forced. It's a finesse shot. Length of the swing affects the distance, and ball position affects trajectory. Take that same tempo to every club in the bag. Get those things down, and when you start hitting PW, 9, 7, 5 irons I bet you will see some really good ball striking.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

One of the things I've learned with wedges and distance control is to keep the same tempo always and adjust the length of the shot with the length of your backswing. You will rarely be taking a full swing with a wedge, and it's not really neccessary either, the chances of finning it or digging deep are much greater with a huge rotation.

Always keep the same tempo, take longer backswing to hit it further, but not a full swing. As in most shots, getting the club down on the ball is crucial, or you'll experience lots of shots where you fin the ball.

I think it's a very useful club to play with. Around the green and on approach shots I use mostly 56º ang 60º. I've practices alot with them and they are starting to give me great pleasure and low scores. If you're able to use the wedge tempo on the other clubs you'll start hitting even better. It's sooo tempting to hit it fast and hard with the longer irons, but with a steady tempo and good rhythm you'll be much more consistent with every club in the bag.

Play around with ball position too, I usually keep it in centre or further back to always help me come down on the ball. If I need a really high shot I can use my 64º, or I can move the ball further forward with my 60º, maybe taking a flop shot. The important thing is to know exactly what you are going to do in most situations on the course, and knowing how the ball position affects your shot. Once you get it down, it'll be a huge shot saver. I see many people are afraid of taking divots, don't know why, but they insist on taking every shot, even wedges, without taking a divot. That is not something I would recommend. With a wedge you have to come down steep on the ball to make it come up, you're bound to take some divot with it.

What someone said about starting witha wedge on the range is a very good idea. Do not start off with the biggest and baddest club in the bag. I usually start with a wedge and jump over one club at the time. For example: 56º, PW, 8, 6, 4, hybrid, wood, driver. Or 60º, 52º, 9, 7, 5, etc. Trying to focus on having the same rhythm and tempo in my swing with every shot. It's harder out on the course, but as with everything else in this game, it takes lots of practice.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5694 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!