Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
youngskip40

Stan Utley short game question.

7 posts in this topic

I see and hear a lot of references to Stan Utley's book The Art of the Short Game...

I'm interested and probably will be picking it up, but before I did, I thought I'd ask what is different about his method or what makes it so good?

I think what my short game is lacking is a true "method" and by that I mean that over the years, I really just taught myself how to hit certain shots and sometimes I can great results and other times not so great. Then you watch the pros play those shots and one guy does it slightly differently from another guy, so you try that and again that works sometimes but not others.

This leaves me with a lot of indecision when I'm standing over a chip or a pitch not only with how to address it for that situation, but what kind of a swing to put on it. If Stan Utley's method jives with my game, I feel like I should just adopt it and stick with it and just get rid of all doubt.

But yeah... just curious. Any responses would be appreciated.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I'm interested and probably will be picking it up, but before I did, I thought I'd ask what is different about his method or what makes it so good?

Didn't you see the threads in the Reading Room devoted to his two books? I'll assume you probably did, so are there some questions you have that weren't answered in that thread specifically?

If Stan Utley's method jives with my game, I feel like I should just adopt it and stick with it and just get rid of all doubt.

His method is great because it's simple. Simple ensures good contact and, with a little practice, good distance control. Almost all three of his shots (chip, pitch, bunker) are the same with minor variations.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As Erik says, there is a very comprehensive thread on this book in the other forum.

I might suggest you look at the reviews on Amazon. I find them helpful personally. I see for the short game book, there is 39 reviews (all very positive). Go there and read what others are saying...

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Short-Game...1926217&sr;=8-1

Didn't you see the threads in the Reading Room devoted to his two books? I'll assume you probably did, so are there some questions you have that weren't answered in that thread specifically?

Oops, no I didn't see them, sorry about that. Thanks, I'll check those out. Sounds good, sounds like exactly what I need.

I just bought the book as well after watching a video of him on you tube and practicing this technique a little. I read on this site from a few years ago many people chip more accurately with his system. His system is very different from what I've read and seen before whereas the lower body has a lot of movement with the pivot versus the standard arms back and through with or without wrist hinge. I've tried both, hinge and hold is good but you must practice this a lot or with the wrist hinge if you release to early you end up skulling the ball. With utley's technique I am much more confident and comfy hitting the chip or bump and run. Can't wait to get the book. Hope this helps.

Pick up the book.  You won't regret it.  I've been using the technique, along with instruction from Evolvr, for three years.  Erik stated that it is simple.  I would also add that it is a relaxed approach.  You don't need special grips or funny stances to achieve good results.  Set up is comfortable and natural.

I would also recommend some of the threads Erik and Mike have posted on pitching, chipping and sand.  They go into a bit more detail in some places than Ultey does.  For me, they key is my front left knee (hey, that rhymes!).  Keep it relaxed and bent to allow weight to go and stay forward at impact (Thanks Mike!).

Good book.

SImple technique.

May help your full swing.