IGNORED

No wonder I can't hit my SW!!!

Note: This thread is 5403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't hit my SW off of the fairway or the more firm traps of my area. I got new irons and now am looking at new wedges. I got on titleists site to check the bounce on my current 56 degree SW. 19 freaking degrees of bounce!!!

I think I will go with a 52 and a 58 with about 6 degrees of bounce each.

19* is a bit much, but you usually want a higher bounce for a sand wedge. 6* may not be enough as it may dig too much in the bunker. Of course, it does depend on your swing and your course, this is just a generalization.

19* is a bit too much, but if you play normal sand ever I would think you'd want to have wedge with 10-14* of bounce (that's the normal range for a 'sand' wedge).
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

19* is a bit much, but you usually want a higher bounce for a sand wedge. 6* may not be enough as it may dig too much in the bunker. Of course, it does depend on your swing and your course, this is just a generalization.

If our bunkers had nice soft sand yeah. However, they are just a little softer than a cart path!

I don't go in bunkers anyway...

19* is a bit too much, but if you play normal sand ever I would think you'd want to have wedge with 10-14* of bounce (that's the normal range for a 'sand' wedge).

I'll probably end up with a 10 degree. Define ever?

I'll probably end up with a 10 degree. Define ever?

The issue I could see if you went with very low bounce is that if you play courses with sand a little softer than the normal muni or with turf that is wet/soft very often you'll quickly find yourself chunking shots in those conditions. If you play your vast majority of rounds on very firm conditions then it 'might' make sense to have very low bounce on all clubs (I know a lot of players in Texas play with less bounce). In an ideal world it would be nice to switch between bounces for different courses and conditions, but we usually just have to make a choice. 10* is probably a good choice. I carry a 56/13 and 51/8. In very sand I'll sometimes use the 51 or deloft 56 a little (and thus lessen impact of bounce).

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

If you are trying to get under the ball I understand it's hard to do with 19º bounce, but a chip shot or any normal shot not being a flop or high pitch should be doable even with that amount of bounce. Won't make it easier, but definately doable.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where'd you get 19* of bounce at? There ain't a wedge on their site with that much bounce that I can see.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Where'd you get 19* of bounce at? There ain't a wedge on their site with that much bounce that I can see.

Look in his signature, he's using older Titleist clubs (check the club archive), my old set also had/has a SW (56º) with 19º of bounce also. I currently am keeping this club for those situations of softer/thicker rough and deeper sand shots. I need to add a GW with a lower bounce eventually, but for now I’ll handle situations with either my PW or LW.

IMO I'd get a GW (52º) with a lower bounce and keep the SW (if you have the space) for situations when you need the bounce.

In my Stand-Bag

905T D 9.5º
MX 700 3W 15º
AP2 3-PW DCI Oversize+ Black SW 56º 588 LW 60º DF 550 P

Jeez, i didn't knwo that made wedges with that much bounce.
Here in Texas with our mega firm sand, my 4 degrees of bounce is plenty. And my bunker swings are STEEP.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Look in his signature, he's using older Titleist clubs (check the club archive), my old set also had/has a SW (56º) with 19º of bounce also. I currently am keeping this club for those situations of softer/thicker rough and deeper sand shots. I need to add a GW with a lower bounce eventually, but for now I’ll handle situations with either my PW or LW.

I just got a set of Macgregor MT Pro CM irons(they are sweet btw) and want to get new wedges. I am going to get a 52.06 and a 58.10 to replace my dci sw and old cleveland lw.

I can't hit my SW off of the fairway or the more firm traps of my area. I got new irons and now am looking at new wedges. I got on titleists site to check the bounce on my current 56 degree SW. 19 freaking degrees of bounce!!!

That's quite a bit of bounce. You should still be able to hit it fine if you forward press. My Eidolon wedges have variable bounce (i.e., multiple grinds depending on angle of address) so I can hit them off anything. There are a few other manufacturers who have similar variable-grind wedges. If you just don't want to mess around, go to 10° and you should be okay for hard-pack and fluffy sand (with a little practice, anyway)

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Also If you check with a custom wedge company like scratch, they can get you set up for whatever you want. Their service is great, and they can make a club for any of your needs.

Note: This thread is 5403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!