IGNORED

Help with selecting a driver

Nick77
Note: This thread is 5327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Based solely on design and reputation, because they both feel good to me, what driver would you go with if you were just starting out.

Taylormade R9 460 10.5 degree

or

Callaway Ft-IQ 10 degree or 11 degree (now $299)

Next question, I was under the assumption that I should go with a regular flex being new to the game, but I was told by a local golf store that I should go with a stiff shaft. This was recommended because he said I was young enough and should buy something that I can grow into. He claimed that the stiff won't hurt my game to start off with...is this true?

If he didn't check or analyze your swing then his advice is worthless, and the rating on every shaft varies as it is. For a beginner I'd definitely recommend the Callaway FT-IQ over the TaylorMade, it's just about as forgiving and easy to hit as a driver can get.

I have The R9 460 and i like it i am at least 10 yards bigger than the ping G2 i had before (that is when i hit it well) which isn't often but that is user not tool

If I were just starting out, (in fact, I would do this even though I'm not just starting out!!), I would pass on the current model in favor of last year's model for $100-$150 less.

It's really silly how short the price point "life cycle" for a Taylor Made driver is.

Good stuff available for $200. Use the difference for lessons.

If I were just starting out, (in fact, I would do this even though I'm not just starting out!!), I would pass on the current model in favor of last year's model for $100-$150 less.

Lessons are already factored in. Besides the only thing that I have to buy is the driver. I was able to get everything else for free from my work through a rewards program.

If I were to go with the FT-IQ, should I go with a 10 0r 11 degree loft?

Callaway 11* regular flex. I doubt you will grow out of that for a long time.

Callaway Square Driver = v.high MOI...it's a SGI driver if you will...I doubt it's much shorter in distance than the FT-9...either way...I'd take the more frequently hit fairways over distance into the rough.

11* = check out some articles online...but high degree lofts seem to be the best thing for high-handicappers/new golfers.

(a) High loft creates more backspin which reduces sidespine...hence, more fairways.

(b) High loft provides more air time...good for those with slower swing speeds/imperfect swings...hence, more distance for less skilled/slower swinging golfers.

Regular flex = more distance and generally higher launch for slower swingers etc...I wouldn't switch to a stiff flex shaft unless you have a really high swing speed/v. good technique

my 2 cents...hope it helps!

Callaway 11* regular flex. I doubt you will grow out of that for a long time.

This is all outstanding advice, and I guarantee that you will never lose

actual distance on a hole with the more accurate driver. You may occasionally squeeze a few more yards of total distance with a lower lofted driver with a lighter shaft, but until you're a single digit handicap those yards will be left or right of the fairway and will leave you with a longer second shot.

I'd recommend a Callaway driver. I went through about 10 drivers before I found one that was comfortable enough for me to crush on a regular basis. I bought a used callaway erc fusion for $60 on ebay and the first time i hit it, it just felt like a canon off the clubface. I've been killing it ever since. I'm not a big believer in getting the newest, most expensive driver out there. I'd recommend getting a driver that looks good and feels good to you in your hands. You should find out what your swing speed is and get a shaft flex that fits your swing speed. I swing very fast so I use a stiff shaft. This is very important so find out and choose wisely. I'd also recommend using a top of the line ball. These will give you a huge advantage with extra distance and tons of feel around the greens. Hope this helped and good luck. Let us know how it works out.

In My Bag:
Driver: ERC Fusion 10* stiff
3W: Big Bertha Fusion 13* stiff
5W: Big Bertha 2004 15* firm
7W: Big Bertha 2004 21* firm3H: IHS 20* med firm4H: IHS 23* med firm5I-PW: IHS reg steelAW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 52* SW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 56*LW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 60*LW: FX 64*

I wasn't very impressed with the R9 460 9.5* driver I had. I kept it in the bag for less than two months and gladly took a $75 loss on trade yesterday. The club was just dead.

I do like the fact that you are going after a 10.5 (or more) loft for your driver.

Have the shops measure your swing speed before you buy anything. The right flex is important.

Go with whichever driver you hit the best and feel the most confident about. I'd also not spend the $$$ on current sticks when you can by the one-to-two year older gear (brand new) from the stores for 1/2 price.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I wasn't very impressed with the R9 460 9.5* driver I had. I kept it in the bag for less than two months and gladly took a $75 loss on trade yesterday. The club was just dead.

Well, as far as swing speed goes.....I have never swung a golf club, so:

1.) Im a little leery of going in a golf store and swinging their clubs. ( It's one thing to break the head off my own stuff) 2.) Besides, how accurate would the test be if I use my "raw" swing ( no sound technique at all) to check for swing speed. I would imagine I will be much slower when focusing on doing it right...at first. As far as money goes, I know it may seem crazy for a someone in my position to have a 2k + golf set-up and not even sure if I will enjoy the game. I'm very fortunate to be able to acquire most of my clubs using company rewards points and the only thing I am buying with my personal money is the driver. so far I have R9 fairways 3 and 5, Burner 09 irons, Newport 2 putter. I have no problem spending 300 bucks for a driver. I will buy wedges and a hybrid later as I learn what I can swing and I cannot swing. At least I can blame my game on poor equipment. Thanks guys!

Well, as far as swing speed goes.....I have never swung a golf club, so:

I wouldn't even worry about a driver right now if you have never played. 300 bucks is 300 bucks. I'm no expert, but you might want to start by using your 3w off the tee.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Note: This thread is 5327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!