IGNORED

New clubs

keb
Note: This thread is 5301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a 2007 set of Callaway Big Bertha's. Am considering getting fitted next year for set of Pings, most likely G15. As a 20 handicapper, am I better off focusing on improving my short game and perhaps getting lessons as opposed to looking at new clubs?

As a 20 handicapper, am I better off focusing on improving my short game and perhaps getting lessons as opposed to looking at new clubs?

Depends what you are trying to achieve....

Reduction in handicap? If you hit the ball reasonably well, practicing and improving your chipping and putting combined with good course management will see your handicap come down fairly steadily. New clubs won't do this. New clubs will make you feel good because a) You've spent some money b) You feel that you will play better The honeymoon period will soon fade and you are back to square one within a couple of months. Shortly after I first started playing, I went through a slump with my driving and iron play. Couldn't hit toffee. Tried all different things and it made no difference. So I practiced my short game. It was the one thing I could do where I saw an improvement. And I started winning games again. My friends couldn't believe how one minute I would be out of a hole but was suddenly back in it because I had chipped very close to save par or even chipped in for birdie. And my confidence grew again. And then my long game came back! My handicap dropped from 23 to 14 in a few short months. I kept the same irons throughout. Set yourself a golf, say getting down to 15 handicap. And when you've reached it, then treat yourself to the new irons. You deserve them....

In the bag......
Driver: Ping G10 10.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
3 wood: Ping G10 15.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
5 wood: Ping G10 18.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
Hybrids: Ping i15 20 degree AWT regular (on order!)4-PW: Ping i15 AWT regularGap Wedge: Ping Tour-W 50/12 AWT regular (on order!)Sand Wedge:...

I would work on the short game and take some lessons instead of spending money on new clubs.

Find out what area of your golf game needs attentions to reduced your scores by tracking the following during a round of golf:

1) putts per hole and round
2) up and downs to one putt attempts and success rate
3) greens hit on regulations
4) fairways hit

most golfer need help with their up and down percentage and putts stats to lower their scores.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I got a Taylormade R9 460 instead of a PING G2 that i could hit

I just played Sunday with an R9 460 for the first time... I hit it a long way but did not hit one fairway with it... Can it be the longer shaft? Not sure, but - back to my old driver....

I just played Sunday with an R9 460 for the first time... I hit it a long way but did not hit one fairway with it... Can it be the longer shaft? Not sure, but - back to my old driver....

This summer I was looking for a new gap wedge, putter, and 3-wood. I received virtuall the same greeting at every golf shop I went into, "You're here for the new R9?!?!". When I said, "No, I'm looking for a new 3-wood", they seemed so disappointed. I wanted to tell them to "take the new R9 and cram it!! It's not my problem you're overstocked." endrant/

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

This summer I was looking for a new gap wedge, putter, and 3-wood. I received virtuall the same greeting at every golf shop I went into, "You're here for the new R9?!?!". When I said, "No, I'm looking for a new 3-wood", they seemed so disappointed. I wanted to tell them to "take the new R9 and cram it!! It's not my problem you're overstocked." endrant/

should have told them you were there for a bag of tees and a new towel.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

I have a 2007 set of Callaway Big Bertha's. Am considering getting fitted next year for set of Pings, most likely G15. As a 20 handicapper, am I better off focusing on improving my short game and perhaps getting lessons as opposed to looking at new clubs?

Yes, you are better off grabbing some lessons rather than upgrading clubs. I understand the importance of getting fitted, but upgrading irons after 2 years is certainly not needed... especially from one "game improvement" set to another. Unless you realy have a problem with your Callaway's, I don't see the point. You can always have you Callaways fitted if you really would like them customized for your swing.

BTW, I like and own both Callaway and Ping clubs, so it's not about whether or not I have a preference to either. I just think you'd be better off investing your money in your game itself.

Note: This thread is 5301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!