IGNORED

Here's my golf swing... Can I has some help plz?

Note: This thread is 5264 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone, as you can see I'm a new member and also a new member of the golfing community as I've only started swinging for a month or so. I've gotten a few tips and queues from the internet and driving range friendlies on my swing but am looking a few focused tips on hitting and aiming.

I'm hitting with an 8-iron, as it was the only club I had access to at the time. I can hit somewhat consistently now, but am finding my balls heading just right or left of my target, by about 20-30 feet. The variables I've been working on are ball location compared to my foot placement, club face (closed or open) and my swing plane but can't put my finger on the exact formula. I just want my balls to go straight. :/

Without further adeu, here's it is.
Thanks in advanced people.

Your swing is quite steep, and the swing plane seems to be quite upright. you are crouched a bit much, so try to put the ball closer to you. Other than that, i can't give you much more advice at risk of me telling you something wrong. Some of those shots were nice and they looked pretty long too!
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

from watching your swing, i noticed a few things. first is your grip looks off. work on using the correct grip and that will help you alot. second, it looks like you are standing too far from the ball. third, you are swing inside-inside. if you want a draw, which i recommend, swing the club inside-out. if you want a fade, swing outside-in. inside to inside makes it very difficult to time and hit the ball consistently. if you work on those things alone, you should hit the ball more consistently right away. good luck.

In My Bag:
Driver: ERC Fusion 10* stiff
3W: Big Bertha Fusion 13* stiff
5W: Big Bertha 2004 15* firm
7W: Big Bertha 2004 21* firm3H: IHS 20* med firm4H: IHS 23* med firm5I-PW: IHS reg steelAW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 52* SW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 56*LW: Mercedes Catalyst Hybrid 60*LW: FX 64*

Go buy Hogans book "Five Lessons, The Modern Fundamentals of Golf".

I'll definitely check this book out today. The reviews look very promising and it'll help me cover some bases that I know I've missed.

from watching your swing, i noticed a few things. first is your grip looks off. work on using the correct grip and that will help you alot. second, it looks like you are standing too far from the ball. third, you are swing inside-inside. if you want a draw, which i recommend, swing the club inside-out. if you want a fade, swing outside-in. inside to inside makes it very difficult to time and hit the ball consistently. if you work on those things alone, you should hit the ball more consistently right away. good luck.

My grip has changed quite a bit since that video. My hands are a lot closer now, with my left thumb tucked closely into my right palm. As for my swing plane, it was my understanding that vertical isn't always a bad thing when hitting with shorter irons. I'll make my stance adjustment and straighten up and see how that works out for me. As for swinging inside-inside, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I was told my backswing was to be toward "7 oclock" and downswing to be toward "1 oclock" and "pull down" on the club like a rope instead of swinging wide like a baseball bat. (I used to have a really wide swing that caused my right elbow to move from its tucked, inner position) Can you further elaborate on becoming a draw player by swinging "inside-outside" Thanks for the responses, any help is appreciated.

Is that the Arroyo Seco driving range?

Go buy Hogans book "Five Lessons, The Modern Fundamentals of Golf".

Absolutely agree. See if you can continue to borrow that 8 iron, or even a 5 or 6 iron, and as you read the book, stop for a moment and TRY the concept. As he walks you through the grip, which he spends a LOT of time talking about, and for good reason, grip your club and try to make your hands look like the pictures and make sure every one of your fingers and both plams and everything are in the exact spot that he describes. When he talks about stance, stand up with a club and go through the steps. This will help you not crouch down so much, there is one paragraph in particular which helped me get rid of my crouch down as well and that is the paragraph explaining, in detail, how to set your stance and it has helped me immensely.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

You look like you are bending your knees way too much and perhaps reaching a bit. Were your clubs measured for you?

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

The main thing I notice, aside from the steepness thing mentioned above, is that your swing is very arms-y. Your lower body is following your arms on the way forward. With a slightly flatter plane, firing/sliding the hips forward to start the swing gives you more power, consistency, and helps fight off the slice.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The main thing I notice, aside from the steepness thing mentioned above, is that your swing is very arms-y. Your lower body is following your arms on the way forward. With a slightly flatter plane, firing/sliding the hips forward to start the swing gives you more power, consistency, and helps fight off the slice.

Excellent point. This will be addressed today, Thank you.

Is that the Arroyo Seco driving range?

I'm in the SFV, this is the range in Encino, on Balboa and Burbank blvd.

You look like you are bending your knees way too much and perhaps reaching a bit. Were your clubs measured for you?

That club wasn't fitted for me, but I'm about 5"10' with an average build. The shaft is a regular flex though, and I swing at about 75 mph (found out at golfsmith) so I think I'm fine as far as the club is concerned.

As of now, I have a set of Tommy Amour 845 Silver Scots that I was able to pic up at a great price locally. I'll be using these for a long while until I either get better, or unexpectedly come into a large sum of money. The angle of the club to the ground at my starting position seems a bit severe and should correct itself with a higher stance. I'm assuming with the higher stance, It'll be easier to tighten up my swing keeping my arms and hands closer to my hips while they rotate as described by MDL. Thanks again everyone. This is the closest I can get to affording lessons and appreciate every bit of input. I'm ready to put in some work tonight at the range with all this in mind.

Ahh OK. Have you checked out the range at Woodley Lakes? You hit off of turf there.

Also, tomorrow night at Moorpark College, I am bringing a first timer to a beginner class. You should check out the beginner classes offered with your local JCs, or even check out Moorpark College which isn't too bad of a drive. It is much cheaper than traditional lessons, and you will learn the basics. Looking at your swing, you are already better than most of the people that will be in the class with you, however you don't show an real understanding for the basics (stance, posture, grip, etc).

Hogans book will help too, but it really makes a difference when you have someone that is much better than you translating it and better yet SHOWING you.

I have never played the Balboa or Encino courses but would like to. I meant to go to one of those courses recently, but in an attempt to break 90 I played at Woodley as I have played there 4 times and know the course well (shot 92 though ). Maybe we could meet up for a round someday once you get your equipment in order and some confidence up with your longer sticks. I can teach you about course etiquette, pace of play, etc. Not really willing to offer you much help in the way of mechanics though. You need a pro for that.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

Okay, and no problem. Glad to help. Perhaps another video after a range session to keep things in check? Another thing I went back and notices was you are overswinging a bit. Also, try to keep the head still. Do note to do only ONE at a time; otherwise it's pointless.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

Okay, and no problem. Glad to help. Perhaps another video after a range session to keep things in check? Another thing I went back and notices was you are overswinging a bit. Also, try to keep the head still. Do note to do only ONE at a time; otherwise it's pointless.

I just got back from the range with what I think was a productive session. First and foremost I addressed my stance and grip. My grip is a lot closer than it was before, with my right pinky right over my left index finger. I also straightened up a bit, bringing the ball about 3 inches closer and brought my feet together just a little smaller than shoulder width (I have wide shoulders). I tried both my old and new stance and they feel like night and day. I see what you guys were talking about.

Ahh OK. Have you checked out the range at Woodley Lakes? You hit off of turf there.

I played Woodley just this past Sunday. It was my first time at a golf course ever in life so I was pretty excited to even be hitting off something other than driving mats. We played the 9 hole par 3 and I scored a 49

I'm going back again this Sunday and probably every Sunday after that until I shave my score down. I'm totally down to meet up too. Let's definitely pencil something in for the future, either where you are or over here in the valley. Should be fun... but I need to get my game up first. I have a video uploading right now... should be up in about 15 or so. I've found some things I'm not to happy with and could use some input.

Here it is...

A couple things I've noticed.

1. My body dips and does this weird motion right after impact. This is new to me, and wasn't apparent in the first video. I think it might have something to do with my body being used to hitting at that angle but it looks completely wrong.

2. I don't square my hips during the follow through.

3. My swing is still kind of steep. I'm not sure what path my club should take, but I try and swing it back at 7 o'clock every time (inward) and following through out toward o'clock (outward).

Comments anyone?

Woodley lakes is a full 18, par 72 course. I think you are referring to Van Nuys GC which has an 18 hole par 3 course along with a 9 hole executive course.

If you shot a 49 on 9 holes at Woodley then you are doing REALLY well! haha

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid

...aaaannnnndddd another one.

Woodley lakes is a full 18, par 72 course. I think you are referring to Van Nuys GC which has an 18 hole par 3 course along with a 9 hole executive course.

You are correct. It was the Van Nuys course, which I always thought was the Woodley course everyone keeps talking about. Learn something new every day.

Dude, youve been playing for a month its vital that you dont get torn up by tecnical thoughts. You wanna focus on basics, think GASP - grip, aim, stance and posture. Try to ensure that these aspects are as they should be, seek some informal advice from someone who is a better player on THESE aspects but nothing more. You need to learn how YOU can get the ball to your target. Everyone is different and depending on many variables, mostly your generic make up and previous sporting participation but you need to feel what works for you.

Remember, get you basics right and have fun - as a beginner you will improve with time regardless of thoughs about plane. As a scratch golfer, if I started to think about 'plane' or the like it wouldnt be long before the clubs were on ebay. Let your coach do the thinking, and you are free to focus on targets!

Good luck and enjoy!

K2,

You're on the right track using the camera. It will be tough to absorb all of the info from forum members, as some of them are relevant, some more relevant than others. Just do what Hogan said and keep "digging it out of the dirt".

As far as your swing is concerned:

1. You're equipment doesn't seem to be fit for you. I'd like to see you hands much closer to the body with an 8-iron. They will get farther away from you as the club gets longer to accommodate the flattening of the plane with longer clubs, but for an 8-iron, that's way too much of a reach. Byron Nelson said, paraphrasing, "It's hard to stand too close to the ball, but it's really easy to stand too far." Err on the side of being too close. The fact that your left arm is high on the backswing with the hands out so far indicates one of two things: you lifted too much above the plane to be consistent long-term (not as likely), you reverse pivoted (more likely). You need to get some footage face on or even slightly ahead of the ball looking back at you. That will give you a better feel for what is going on with the shoulder turn and the hips. The down the line view is a more "forgiving" view in my experience.

2. You are driving the downswing with an early turn of the shoulders. This is why the club goes from normal to steep on the downswing. This is very common when a reverse pivot is present because no real torque has been created for the lower body to pull against. It is also the very natural thing to do for everyone, and works great for Tennis, throwing a ball, or anything else where the shoulders are allowed to be wildly open to the target line. But Golf is a side-on game. You need the shoulders parallel to slightly closed to the target line at impact. In order for this to happen, you have to hold the shoulders back at the start and get the lower body moving through the shot. Then you can hit with the shoulders and arms. Otherwise you will be open at impact with a big cast and no lag (power). Really open at impact is not an option because it pulls the left shoulder off the line, which pulls the club off the line and causes shots off the toe. You would have to compensate by standing much closer to the ball at address....uncomfortably close for some. Look at Jim Furyk's swing and notice #1 How close he stands to the ball and #2 How open his shoulders are at impact. They were measured and he is one of the most open players on tour at the moment. You can play golf this way obviously, but for most people, keeping everything neutral is the way to go.

Get some face-on footage and you'll probably get a lot more info on reverse pivots.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Note: This thread is 5264 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!