IGNORED

Getting started in the golf industry

sonomajake
Note: This thread is 5133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently was laid off from a bank management job and I was interested in getting a job in the golf industry. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how I would go about doing this? Would I have to go back to school first? Im not even sure what jobs are really out there. But I would need to make around 40 to 50k per year. I live in the bay area and we have a ton of courses so I imagine theres something out there. Thanks in advance.

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

Sorry to hear you got recently laid off...

What is it specifically that you want to do for the golf industry?

I am also interested in starting a golf company and have been doing a lot of research on the issue myself. I checked Callaway Golf's financial statements and sales are down 15% this year. There are other factors I have been looking at, but the market is not too strong right now. The US market is the largest, but also seems the toughest right now...
I am living in Japan and sales of golf apparel have been increasing from the recent success and popularity of Ryo Ishikawa. We are experiencing a similar effect that Tiger had on the US market. Maybe apparel might be something interesting for you.

Anyway, if you have a specific sector of the industry that you are interested in please post it. Maybe we can help you get the ball rolling ;) (golf puns!)

In my Ping stand bag:
Irons: 3-PW Titleist T blades, 2-iron King Cobra Oversize cavity back
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 56 and 60 deg 8 and 6 bounce respectively
Putter: Mizuno Brass Bulls Eye Flange
Woods: King Cobra Pro S9-1 8.5 deg X-stiff, and 15 deg X-stiffShoes: Asics Tour Gels

Well a down market is a good time to start, especially when housing and land properties are low. You can buy alot of start up materials for cheaper price than they use to be. But you might have to work hard to break even for the first few years.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently was laid off from a bank management job and I was interested in getting a job in the golf industry. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how I would go about doing this? Would I have to go back to school first? Im not even sure what jobs are really out there.

oooh, good luck with that. The golf business is renowned for paying very little. That is unless you get a job as the Head Pro or GM somewhere, but that does take one of two things. Your PGA Class A certification (3 years). Or experience in the the golf business. THose are two positions one doens't just walk into.

You could also make that amount if you are a teaching pro. But that takes building up a client base and also a course willing to take on another teacher. Which more often than not is unlikely, because they ]ve already got teaching pros on staff and they don't want a new guy coming in scalping clents. That being said, I'm here. I got my start by chance, I sent my resume to every private club in the area. Got a few call backs, and landed one. A case of right place/right time. I am not making 40-50k a year though... Another way to make some kind of money in this business would be to land a job as a sales rep for one of the manufacturers. But, that takes serious connections. My Callaway rep was with Odyssey for years and got bumped up when Callaway bought Odyssey. Like also mentioned by others, perhaps you can find some niche idea to market to the industry. Clubs, apparel, equipment... ?

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

For that kind of money you're going to have to approach it from a financial management and business perspective and play up your banking background. Just my 2cents from someone not in the industry, for now.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I have a lot of sales experience so I think I might be able to try the equipment route. I also have management experience though, but I think its true its very hard to become a course manager. Any thoughts on where to look for a job with an equipment manufacturer? Im wondering if I might have to go back to school for this...

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

I have a lot of sales experience so I think I might be able to try the equipment route. I also have management experience though, but I think its true its very hard to become a course manager. Any thoughts on where to look for a job with an equipment manufacturer? Im wondering if I might have to go back to school for this...

It's no different than any other job - find something you're interested in doing, look for opportunities that match your interests and background, then apply. If you find that your background doesn't match what's required, then you may have to change some things up.

Best case scenario - find a job similar to what you were doing but only do it for a golf company (e.g., manufacturer, facility management company, etc.). You may not be on the front lines but at least you'll be in the right environment.

I don't know if you're up for relocation, but TaylorMade and Callaway, as well as a bunch of other smaller companies are headquartered in Carlsbad, CA. Carlsbad, by the way, is a beautiful part of the state. By no means a bad place to move to.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Jake, I'm new to this forum, in fact I just joined after reading your post. I too am looking to make a career in the golf industry and could use a rep, even if it was a part time venture or in conjunction with other lines you might end up representing. I actually started making custom golf tools and ball markers several years ago, but things always got in the way, and I never really devoted any serious time to the project. I'm not going to go into a whole lot of detail, because I don't want to be spamming the forums with my product, but please drop me an email or private message and I'll send you some details.

Note: This thread is 5133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!